Portable fire pit

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I just got my Coleman portable fire pit. For those occasions when a fire on the ground or "contained fire only" is the only way to go. Like the El Camino Del Diablo for example.
It is made in China, but it is fairly heavy duty and I couldn't find anything else I liked or wasn't to pricey. It packs down into itself and goes into a carrying case (included).

viatierra

Explorer
MaddBaggins said:
It is made in China,

42 days and you've already caved! I do appreciate 2 things: the maple leaf motif and the bottle to provide scale. Thanks!

Is the grill to cook with or for holding the fire up for air circulation?

MaddBaggins

Explorer
It's a cooking grill, so fire pit/grill. After I test it, if need be I'll drill a few small holes for air circulation down low. I plan on using it for charcoal on the ECDD in a couple weeks.

:oops: Yeah, I looked and this is the one that had the features I wanted and it seems that most of Colemans stuff is made in China. Everything I've ever had from Coleman has been good quality and long lived. So, there, I justified it to myself. :shakin:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Timely post! My solution arrived today.

I took advice from a post on one of the Canyonlands threads. I invested in a Snow Peak Fireplace
Space was a concern as well as the ability to use it as a cooking fire using briquettes.
Shipping was VERY fast
icon_speedy.gif
Three days from order to arrival!
It is a very nice quality stainless steel assembly. Lots of work involved in the build. Welded, formed, etc. I can definitely see $100 worth of effort. The cast iron insert is easily as nice too. The folding fireplace came with a carry bag, and I stitched up a bag to pad the iron grille.

Can't wait to try it out. It should be perfect for my Calvary frying pan.

My biggest prompt for this was the ability to have a "fire" to sit around when campfires are not allowed. Charcoal briquettes are easily packed and will offer heat for hours. This folds flat and will fit nicely under my toolbox. I researched many different designs. I even considered the bowl posted above. Collapsible was a priority for my needs. Wally World had a steel fire ring for $20 or so, but the quality was suspect to say the least. There are just not many options out there. The Snow Peak Fireplace looked to be the best choice for my needs.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
It's not compact but I use the inside tub of an old washing machine. Been using it for years. Has the little holes on the side to provide oxygen and I can throw a grill on top. Of course, like I said... it's not compact but it was free and I'm recycling!:camping:

(blatantly jealous of your compact ones though!):26_7_2:

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I looked at the Snowpeak as well. In the end I thought the Snowpeak was more complicated(not that its difficult) and by the time you bought all the parts you need for it it was 2x the $$. I also like the round tub style of the Coleman and it has a spark screen.

OK Henry we need to camp together so we can see the 2 of them in action :camping:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I will agree that it was a tough choice. The Coleman SS bowl would have been my choice if I had the space. The price of the Snow Peak was a tough pill to swallow. I think someone once said "the price is soon forgotten, quality is not." Hopefully it holds true in this case.
Perhaps someday our paths will cross for a comparison :)

Robert Bills

Explorer
I like the Snow Peak firepit, but after looking at many of them (Pit-2-Go, Volcano stove, Coleman, Campfire in a Can, etc., etc.), I cheaped out and got a galvanized drain pan from Pep Boys, approx 16" or 18" in diameter. To keep it off the ground, it sits on a circle of scrap steel to which I welded 3 short legs made from 1" scrap tube (nests inside the pan when stored, along with my dutch oven and a small bag of charcoal briquettes). I can use it as a charcoal grill, or with my dutch oven, and then as a "fire pit" after dinner. Total investment: less than $10.

Someday, when my list of "must haves" gets shorter, I'll try something more sophisticated.

Here are some other "fire pit" options that I've seen:

http://www.portafire.net/products.html:

portafire1_150.jpg

http://campfireinacan.com/:

Gas_Can_Night.jpg

http://www.quikfire.com:

quikfireUD.jpg

quikelite1UD.jpg

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
RHINO said:
...but then found this fold up thing.http://www.pit2go.com/

i like to make my own stuff and will most likely make something based on the later cause i like the folding action and bigger size.

I recently ordered a Snow Peak firepit to replace my Pit2Go. The Pit2Go does work well for cooking. However, it's high sides and deep profile make for a less than ideal "campfire." The shallower, more open design of the Snow Peak firepit should provide much more sit-around-the-campfire ambiance, and serve double-duty as a grilling surface.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
good to know,, i was planning to make mine a little shorter for that reason, or maybe a two piece deal for adjustable height.. hmm

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
RHINO said:
good to know,, i was planning to make mine a little shorter for that reason, or maybe a two piece deal for adjustable height.. hmm

...or maybe something along the lines of hinged sides, where the top section of each side could fold down.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Be careful using the metal drain pan for a fire pan. Around here those pans are galvanized. That can create some harmful smoke. Checking the thrift stores for old stainless steel pans might be an option.

I bought the medium sized Snow Peak Fireplace and the iron grille for use with briquettes. With the grille in place the sides are about 2" above. The hinged sections should offer good ventilation and there is a row of holes about an inch down from the top.

I don't see it as complicated. It is a simple design. Four triangles connected by a double tube hinge point. Folds open and closed easily with no assembly. You could probably provide your own grille to place the briquettes, but the cost of the grille is not all that bad for the quality piece that it appears to be. The iron grille weights nearly what the fireplace does. The two in their bag are a chunk of weight. Fortunately they fold flat and can be stowed on the bottom of the load.

I did not buy the base plate. I really don't think it would be practical on all but the smoothest flattest surfaces. Might be nice if you had it on a picnic table, but I think the fireplace will be fine without it on uneven terrain.

I don't see the grille bridge being much of an asset. I plan to just use the grille off of my two burner gas stove if I need one.
Most of my campsite cooking is pretty primitive. A better chef may find more importance in an adjustable height grille.

It is fun to see all the options that I did not find. That Volcano looks good. I did not see that one.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
So, Henry, you saying you don't need the base plate to stand it up? I assumed it was required for stability of the pit.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
No base plate. Stands up fine and is stable. I was hoping that was the case when I ordered it without the base plate.
I was going to test it by standing in it, but I might be a bit heavy for that. I think it would hold half my weight though.
I tested the stability by placing one of the loop legs up on the hearth. About an inch higher than the rest. It does tip slightly to the lower side and forms more of a diamond , rather than a square. I thought I would mess with footing to see if it would become unstable. I placed a shoe under one side, the other up in the hearth again. Not a perfect square , but still very stable.
With the loops/legs on uneven ground the fireplace may not form the perfect square for the iron grille to fit evenly, but I don't see it as an issue.

Honestly the base looks more like a good idea to catch any ash that might sift through the hinge points or the air holes around the top. I am sure it might add some strength in that the legs could not spread under weight, But I think they would still bend under my 200lbs ;)

Now , I do not think I would want to try to move or relocate it once lit. the possibility of it folding up when lifted becomes a real possibility. That is where the base would be an asset. Moving it once it is in service would be too dangerous, IMO. I would rather quench and cool if relocation is needed. With the grille inside there is another piece helping to retain the form. It hold shape even better then. I might be a little more comfortable moving it with the grille inside. Still , cool of course.

This design is similar to a folding chair I used to have. You could wiggle around and get it to fold on you if you were not careful. I don't see the need for the fire to wiggle around much , so I hope it will be just fine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles