Portable fire pit

Robert Bills

Explorer
HenryJ said:
Be careful using the metal drain pan for a fire pan. Around here those pans are galvanized. That can create some harmful smoke. Checking the thrift stores for old stainless steel pans might be an option.

Although the outgassing from welding galvanized steel produces harmful fumes, charcoal briquettes or a small wood fire in an oil drain pan does not pose the same risk. I have cleaned my galvanized drip pan with degreaser and pressure washer, and once the soot is removed the metal is clean and undamaged with very minor discoloration in only a few spots. I suspect that the pan doesn't get hot enough for much outgassing, if any. (Caveat: I am not a metalurgist and can't say for sure.) Also, when one uses a pan like this for charcoal or a small campfire there is ample ventilation and one isn't in the same close proximity or as long as when welding.

I am too lazy (or too busy) to pressure wash the pan often, so I now line it with heavy gauge aluminum foil that I toss at the end of each trip.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Here is a link to another option for cooking and wood fires, albeit a bit bulky. We used stoves similar to this when I was a Boy Scout, made from apparatus salvaged from a local ice house:

DSC00097.JPG

campstove.jpg

http://canvaswalltents.com/camkitchensstoves.htm

Specifications:

Packed: 7”X 14”X 23" rectangle (size includes: Pipe, Door, Damper, and Side Shelf) Unpacked: Fire Box: 14” X 13” X 23” (Collapses) Door: includes damper for fire control Pipe Jack: Reinforced Steel: 18 gage or 20 gage (added strength against warping and extremely durable)

Price: $249

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The coffee can is simple genius!
A friend built something similar to the qwikfire using a tiny drill & some copper tube, which was then buried in sand under cinders in a large-ish steel Wok. Since then I've been looking for an inexpensive wok to start from.

On the side topic of welding galvanized steels I found the attached pdf here.

Robert Bills

Explorer
From the linked article on welding galvanized steel by Steve Perko (an avid offroader who knows his stuff):
Galvanizing is simply coating of zinc over steel.

Zinc melts at about 900°F and vaporizes at about 1650°F.

Zinc Fumes -- A Safety Hazard?

When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder that you see on some noses at the beach and the slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will cause welders to think that they have the flu in a bad way, there are no long-term health effects.

Since nothing in my galvanized drip pan used for charcoal and small wood fires will ever cause the pan to get hot enough to outgas zinc fumes, and it does not appear that fumes would be harmful even if it did, I think I'll keep using it.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Robert Bills said:
From the linked article on welding galvanized steel by Steve Perko (an avid offroader who knows his stuff):
Galvanizing is simply coating of zinc over steel.

Zinc melts at about 900°F and vaporizes at about 1650°F.

Zinc Fumes -- A Safety Hazard?

When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder that you see on some noses at the beach and the slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will cause welders to think that they have the flu in a bad way, there are no long-term health effects.

Since nothing in my galvanized drip pan used for charcoal and small wood fires will ever cause the pan to get hot enough to outgas zinc fumes, and it does not appear that fumes would be harmful even if it did, I think I'll keep using it.
I do not think you are in danger, just a heads up.
Wood burns cool and should offer no problem. Charcoal may be another story.
Peter J. F. Harris said:
the beginning of charcoal production coincides with the development of metallurgy some 5,000 years ago. A plain wood fire was not hot enough to smelt metals because of the water and volatiles that are released during combustion. However, burning charcoal produced temperatures well over 1,000°F with little smoke, just what was needed for metal work.
Typical “metal fume fever” begins about 4 hours after exposure, and full recovery occurs within 48 hours. The symptoms
include fever, chills, thirst, headache and nausea. All of these symptoms, pain and suffering, as well as lost work (and play)
time, can be avoided entirely by simply not inhaling the zinc oxide fumes.

Last edited:

Striumph84

Lets start this thread back up.

But lets see some new pictures of fire pits that you are using.

Here is my brothers pit.

Zikko-fire-pit.jpg

here is my pit that We bring with us everywhere. it isn't fancy but it slides together and still works a few years later.

V Pit_FE 1.jpg$_27.JPG

RBA

Adventurer
I want buy/support anything on kickstarter. Got burned by buying something and the idea folding. Had no recurse...kickstarter wouldn't do ****, never even did any due diligence. Never again.

vartz04

Adventurer
I want buy/support anything on kickstarter. Got burned by buying something and the idea folding. Had no recurse...kickstarter wouldn't do ****, never even did any due diligence. Never again.

Understood but a reputable company like biolite is a little different then a start up. I have wanted to support this roof rack fishing rod holder but haven’t for the same reasons.

ramatl73

Observer
Don' go to hard on me or put me on blast....For those with an IKEA store in your area. This little grill has proved itself for us over a couple of trips. You can pull the grill top off to make it into a small contained fire pit. For $16.99 it's a deal and it works.

korpon-portable-charcoal-grill-black__0400646_PE565966_S4.JPG

Folds up too....

korpon-portable-charcoal-grill-black__0400642_PE566011_S4.JPG

Striumph84

We got our pit from a company called burning-concepts.com they were great and shipped them out to us.

KYC

Adventurer
I use a large snow peak fire pit with the cooking grate.

The only downside is preparing the first set of wood because it tapers downward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles