Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
After the roof rack install....I had to mount the Ironman awning. I bought this awning from an Expo member several months back but didn't have anything to mount it to. Just been sitting under my son's bed waiting for some action.

Untitled by crr1116, on Flickr

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
The SEES section of Expo has their huge Country Fried Weekend (CFW) get together every MLKJr Weekend (17th - 19th) in Suches, GA. The rack arrived just in time on the 15th. I scrambled to get it installed because I knew I needed every square inch of the Gobi. I had planned to leave Jax for CFW with both kids early on the 17th, around 6 am.

It wasn't until about 9 am, (3 hours of wrangling up kids and food), that we actually left the house for GA. :coffeedrink:

After about 45 minutes, with 4 potty breaks behind us...I knew we weren't going to make it all the way to Suches by sun down. I told the boys we'd just camp whereever we were at 3 pm. We made it as far as Indian Springs State Park, just north or Macon, GA. The boys loved it and had a blast. We didn't have much time to explore the area because I needed to set up camp and cook dinner. NY strip, roasted potatoes and seared asparagus.

I knew we had a chilly night ahead of us...forecast called for temps in the teens. So, after dinner, I fired up my new Mr. Heater for bed time...it saved our behinds. The heater worked like a champ. We slept great that night but the next morning, the kids were miserable. They fought and argued over anything and everything. I couldn't pack up to head out for CFW because I was too busy refereeing the young-ins. What made it even more frustrating was trying to keep the noise down because there were other campers near by. Finally, after a couple hours of that, my youngest son wanted mommy. Defeated, we quietly and slowly started back down south. We left Indian Springs around noon. The warmth of moonshine, bon fire and fried turkey that were awaiting us at CFW was now just a vanishing dream. We made it back home safely around 7:30 pm Saturday night. The boys were happy to see mama. :(

I think it will be quite sometime before we take the 3 year old with us camping out of state.

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
custom gobi?

I like that a lot more than the stealth they offer. id like to have one just like yours, with custom mounts to get it as low to the roof as possible.

...I need to win the lottery...

m(a)ce

Adventurer
looking good!

keeping an eye on this thread as I build up my TE. please keep us posted on your adventures & how you like the setup.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
custom gobi?

I like that a lot more than the stealth they offer. id like to have one just like yours, with custom mounts to get it as low to the roof as possible.

...I need to win the lottery...

Yeah...I'm not a huge fan of the regular stealth rack either. I don't like the curled-up lip in the front. Really, I just wanted the low profile and simplicity of the flat rack though.

When I inquired about the flat semi custom rack, I couldn't believe how accommodating Sandra/Gobi was. The price came out better than I anticipated and they still honored all their promotional freebies....free shipping, ladder, sun roof insert and accessory (because most of their accessories won't work on the flat rack...I opted for the HD lift struts for the lift gate). Quality of the rack is excellent and I'm glad I didn't cancel the order.

looking good!

keeping an eye on this thread as I build up my TE. please keep us posted on your adventures & how you like the setup.

Thank you! I'll try to keep it updated. My mods and adventures are pretty simple compared to some of the others. I'll try to make it worthwhile for you guys.

I'm very happy with all the mods so far. I am moving a suspension upgrade further up on the list. I feel like the 4runner could use a little more ground clearance. We'll see though, my wife is adamant about saving money to buy a new house this year. :snorkel:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
haha I hear ya.

I forgot to ask if you have any rubbing with the new tire setup? is that the reason for moving the lift up? or just more clearance?

I'm planning on a pretty mild build too so thank you for the recon :)

delivered by winged monkeys

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
HHIrunner, I spent most of my summers in Bryson City growing up. We still have a cabin up there and it's a shame that I don't my kids up there more. It's a great place for sure. The Nantahala is a beautiful river and surrounded by great scenery.

Great read so far. Looking forward too all the others. Wish I was one of your kids! 

Thanks a lot! I'm building the 4runner in hopes to keep it long enough for them to take it over in 10 years. My plan is to drive it as a daily driver for 5 years, use it as a dedicated trail rig for 5 then pass it along to my oldest. I look back at all of my dad's Toyota 4x4s and wish that we still had them in the family.

haha I hear ya.

I forgot to ask if you have any rubbing with the new tire setup? is that the reason for moving the lift up? or just more clearance?

I'm planning on a pretty mild build too so thank you for the recon :)

No rubbing issues whatsoever. My desire for a lift is strictly for clearance. In fact, I'll likely run the same tires that I'm running now even after I lift it. I really wish OME offered a 2" lift...a little more clearance but maybe avoid the need to replace the UCAs. Not that UCAs are real expensive but it seems like once you have to replace other components in order to run such a high lift, other issues will ensue. For example: CVs or driveshaft angles/vibrations, need for shims etc.

The kids are already talking about going camping again. How do I get roped into these situations? :)

HHIRunner

Observer
My family has two plots of land up by the upper Nantahala. In considering working up there at NOC this summer.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Animal Kingdom Safari Adventure

Took advantage and made plans to camp the entire Presidents Day weekend. We were all set to just camp on local family property when at the last minute...we headed further south to venture into the unexplored, unknown and uncompromised beauty of central Florida. The wildlife was abundant and not typical of this region of the world. Crocodilo, giraffe, zebra and lions to name a few. We found a campsite and decided to stay put in that area all weekend. Shaded area with crystal clear water pools perfect for swimming and well-protected from the critters that lurked about. We even found an arceological dig site.

:victory:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Been looking at lifts. I'm going to go with OME but not sure which spring rate I should get. I don't have a winch and/or winch bumper nor do I have sliders or drawer system in the back. I'm leaning more towards the "light" setup but also considering the "medium". What would you guys recommend? I'm also on the fence about getting after market UCAs. There aren't a ton of guys running th setup I'm considering, at least that I can find.

Please let me know your thoughts...

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Not many people are running diferent UCA's but I plan on doing it when I get mine. If you're going to lift your rig why skip on the UCA's, right? Do you plan on getting bumpers, sliders, drawers, etc? From what I have heard the light set up is pretty soft... If you plan on adding weight in the future I'd go with some stiffer springs but if you will continue to do what you have been doing then the medium setup might work pretty well. Just keep in mind this advice is coming from someone who does not yet own a TE and is just from what I've read and heard haha. Lame I know. Rig looks awesome!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i was also considering the OME 3" with the medium springs. it kinda seems mixed on what people like about it. there are a lot of FJ guys who like the OME setup and many who don't. i think it ultimately comes down to if you can say you're satisfied with single rate coils and struts vs multi-rate or progressive rate coils and coil overs.

keep thinking unless you have a hole burning in your pocket. for me I've ended up moving towards paying up now for higher dollar and higher performing suspension products vs OME. but right now I'm also on the fence about upper control arms. i can always get them later, and I'm not sure the little bit of added performance and castor correction (especially with the size of tires I'm running) is going to make that big a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles