Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

krax

Adventurer
Do you still use the rug as part of your camp setup? I thought it looked pretty cool next to your Kodiak tent.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Do you still use the rug as part of your camp setup? I thought it looked pretty cool next to your Kodiak tent.

Man, I love that rug! It's a woven plastic that allows water to seep through easily but doesn't let sand or dirt up. Very easy to clean...just shake it, sweep it or hose it off. Keep the camp area, particularly inside the tent, clean. $50 and I wouldn't camp with out it.

krax

Adventurer
I was at Lowes the other day and couldn't find a normal-looking outdoor rug for less than $180. I use a mesh tarp for my OzTent that works as both a ground cloth for the tent and a rug under the awning and my wife added a 2'x3' rug right in front of the door, but I like the look of yours.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I was at Lowes the other day and couldn't find a normal-looking outdoor rug for less than $180. I use a mesh tarp for my OzTent that works as both a ground cloth for the tent and a rug under the awning and my wife added a 2'x3' rug right in front of the door, but I like the look of yours.

Thanks!! Check your inbox...sent you the info.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Appalachian Tour | Summer 2016

We lucked out big time this year....the boys last day of school coincided with Memorial Day Weekend. I took full advantage of the long weekend and went straight to work planning the trip. I've been wanting to take the boys camping in the Carolinas. We were in need of some different landscapes with some different topography.

Here's the story....

Preface
The new gear that I've added over the past few months has really improved my camping tremendously. Everything has its place and everything is readily accessible. I've started a Travelogue to help plan trips and help with inventorying provisions. The pre-planning and pre-packing (including food) removed all of the stresses entirely.
image.jpg

May 26, 2016 - Sumter National Forest
Picked the boys up from their half day/last day from school around noon. My research pointed me toward Sumter NF as a good stopping point for the first leg of the trip. We arrived at Brick House in the SNF around 5pm. It's a secluded primitive campground that allowed vehicle dependent camping (a tall order in SC, apparently). It was perfect! Not a soul in site (sight...see what I did there?)...had the place to ourselves which afforded the boys the luxury of exploration. Very pretty area that was perfect for the quick overnight stay that we needed.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
We made a couple quick friends by morning time...
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer

May 27, 2016 - Pisgah National Forest and Cherokee National Forest

The next morning, we woke early and broke camp by 7:30. Headed north toward Hot Springs, NC. Weeks prior, I had made reservations for a night at the Renassaince hotel in Friday night in Asheville. There's been a lot of talk about Asheville and random off-road trails in the surroundings area over in the Southeast Eegional section of ExPo. We explored a few of the trails that meandered through the Pisgah and Cherokee NFs and had an absolute blast! Kiddos found a few creeks to play in. Found an old abandoned fire tower, too. Felt like I needed a tetanus shot just from looking at it. It offered great views nonetheless.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It was great exploring the area...beautiful scenery and as to be expected the pics don't do it justice. I'm not saying we got lost, but it did cut it a little close picking mama up from the Asheville Airport at 3:00 pm :Wow1: My wife actually found a direct flight from Jax to Asheville for $55 on Allegiant. So, it was easy for her to catch up with us on the trip without taking vacation days just to embark on a camping trip with us wild ones. Asheville was so awesome! Once we cleaned up at the hotel. We walked around downtown and ended up at Tupelo Honey...food was amazing! We found a drum circle across the street and enjoyed the afternoon show! Kids fit in well...shoes weren't required :REOutCampFire03:
image.jpg

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer

May 28, 2016 - Cherokee Indian Reservation and Great Smokey Mountain National Park

After a wonderful night's sleep (Courtesy of the Renaissance Asheville), we loaded up and headed towards Bryson City, NC. This wall that the boys spotted seemed fitting for today's turmoil. Place across the street supplied us with unbelievable doughnuts and lattes :coffeedrink:...lets be honest, we happened upon the sign in search of coffee.
image.jpg
Wanted to add a little nostalgia to the trip so I surprised the kids with a few nights stay at our family cabin in Bryson.
Stopped at the reservation first to not only educate the boys about our heritage but to stock up on provisions and supplies...and by supplies I mean headdresses, toy bows and arrows, toy knives, dream catchers and everything else hahaha.
image.jpeg
Kids had a great time exploring the cabin and property.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer

May 29, 2016 - Great Smokey Mountain National Park

Started the day with good eats in downtown Bryson. Hit the shops and satisfied mamas sweet tooth by patronizing a candy shop just after breakfast. Our kids teeth don't stand a chance :ugh:

We loaded up the ADVRx 4Runner and headed for the Road to Nowhere. His is a super cool little jaunt with amazing views. Kids had no problem climbing the mountainside and up to the top of the tunnel. If in the area, it's worth a stop.
image.jpg
image.jpg

We left the Road to Nowhere and headed for the Deep Creek area of the GSMNP. Great little creek that offers only the best of tubing (and people watching :costumed-smiley-007). I grew up going down the creek and honestly had no idea that my kids would take to it like they did.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpeg

May 30, 2016 - Jacksonville, FL

Super stabbed it all the way home. Excellent weekend! Made many many great memories. Can't wait to go back!

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
A daunting task to update this here forum. Hope you enjoy! Next trip...I'll to focus more on the 4Runner. I just about have it dialed in the way that best works for me and my needs. More to come.

Thanks folks!

Blue Highways

Backroad Traveler
Your thread was the first thread I found on this site after my wife and I bought a 4Runner in Feb.

I have really enjoyed it, especially as a dad who loves adventures with my family. Also being a Jacksonville native I have enjoyed the east coast/Florida pictures. Thanks for the inspiration!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Your thread was the first thread I found on this site after my wife and I bought a 4Runner in Feb.

I have really enjoyed it, especially as a dad who loves adventures with my family. Also being a Jacksonville native I have enjoyed the east coast/Florida pictures. Thanks for the inspiration!

Awesome!! So glad you enjoyed it!! Waiting for the 100° temps to subside so we can get back out there for more exploring. The Runner still going strong...now with 90,000 on the odo. Stay tuned...just picked up a TW200 that I'm building up as a tender for the 4Runner.

mouse007

Explorer
255/75 R17 / No Lift

Hey bud, question... Did you have any rubbing when you ran the 255/75 without a lift..? I think I may pick up a set, they are for sale all over for next to nothing...

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Hey bud, question... Did you have any rubbing when you ran the 255/75 without a lift..? I think I may pick up a set, they are for sale all over for next to nothing...

No issues whatsoever. Great tire and you're right...they are a dime a dozen. That's what attracted them to me in the first place. They looked right with both stock suspension and the lift. Keep them rotated and you'll be fine. How do you like the 4Runner compared to the Tacoma? I keep going back and forth on whether I should trade my runner in for a new Tacoma. I love everything about my 4Runner though. Even after putting 110,000 on her...I can honestly say she's by far the best vehicle I've ever had.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
No issues whatsoever. Great tire and you're right...they are a dime a dozen. That's what attracted them to me in the first place. They looked right with both stock suspension and the lift. Keep them rotated and you'll be fine. How do you like the 4Runner compared to the Tacoma? I keep going back and forth on whether I should trade my runner in for a new Tacoma. I love everything about my 4Runner though. Even after putting 110,000 on her...I can honestly say she's by far the best vehicle I've ever had.

What makes you consider the Taco over the 4R? I ask because I'm considering going the other way.

I've got an older Tacoma and I have it set up with a sleeping platform in the back. Gear goes under, bed goes on top, cooler goes in the extended cab along with the dog. It's a great setup and I can park and be camped pretty much immediately. But... the truck is definitely showing its age and I thought a 4runner might be a good replacement. I'm worried though that I won't have room for all my gear, along with a bed (I'm so spoiled... er, used to always being set up that I don't want to give it up) , cooler, dog, etc like I do with my truck. I know some stuff could go on the roof rack, but still, I feel like in some ways it would be a step backwards.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
What makes you consider the Taco over the 4R? I ask because I'm considering going the other way.

I've got an older Tacoma and I have it set up with a sleeping platform in the back. Gear goes under, bed goes on top, cooler goes in the extended cab along with the dog. It's a great setup and I can park and be camped pretty much immediately. But... the truck is definitely showing its age and I thought a 4runner might be a good replacement. I'm worried though that I won't have room for all my gear, along with a bed (I'm so spoiled... er, used to always being set up that I don't want to give it up) , cooler, dog, etc like I do with my truck. I know some stuff could go on the roof rack, but still, I feel like in some ways it would be a step backwards.

Primarily, price. In my area Tacomas can be had for considerably less money. Even comparing the two TRD ORs. The bought of something different is appealing but I feel like that would wear off quickly.

There are more pros to the 4Runner is my opinion. Within seconds, you'll notice that the build quality is better on the 4Runner. There are few things that just bother me about the 3rd gen taco when comparing to my Trail. No manual transfer case, no electric adjustable seats...I don't have to have electric adjustability but there isn't any height adjustability on the taco. I have mine maxed out in the 4Runner because I like the visibility. I like the all auto windows on the 4Runner. I love that the rear window rolls down. I have cloth in my '13 Trail and it feels like a much better quality material than the tacos. 4Runner has disc brakes all the way around. Last but not least, the 4.0 V6 in the 4Runner is a proven engine. Though one could argue that it's a little sluggish...they're rock solid. I dont need a rocket ship 4x4. I haven't read one good thing about the tacos engine/tranny.

These are just my opinions. Like I said, I still look at the tacos all the time...I like them just dont think I like them as much as the 4Runner.

You may have just helped convince me to keep the 4Runner...��

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior