Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Primarily, price. In my area Tacomas can be had for considerably less money. Even comparing the two TRD ORs. The bought of something different is appealing but I feel like that would wear off quickly.

There are more pros to the 4Runner is my opinion. Within seconds, you'll notice that the build quality is better on the 4Runner. There are few things that just bother me about the 3rd gen taco when comparing to my Trail. No manual transfer case, no electric adjustable seats...I don't have to have electric adjustability but there isn't any height adjustability on the taco. I have mine maxed out in the 4Runner because I like the visibility. I like the all auto windows on the 4Runner. I love that the rear window rolls down. I have cloth in my '13 Trail and it feels like a much better quality material than the tacos. 4Runner has disc brakes all the way around. Last but not least, the 4.0 V6 in the 4Runner is a proven engine. Though one could argue that it's a little sluggish...they're rock solid. I dont need a rocket ship 4x4. I haven't read one good thing about the tacos engine/tranny.

These are just my opinions. Like I said, I still look at the tacos all the time...I like them just dont think I like them as much as the 4Runner.

You may have just helped convince me to keep the 4Runner...��

Gotcha. Yeah, the build quality is better for sure, but I'm not sure I could get by without the extra space of the access cab. That's what really holding me up I think. It's also nice to keep the driving area separate from the camping area. Then again, in an emergency you could jump in the front seat of the 4R and get out. Not so much with a Taco. I'm waffling back and forth myself...

mouse007

Explorer
No issues whatsoever. Great tire and you're right...they are a dime a dozen. That's what attracted them to me in the first place. They looked right with both stock suspension and the lift. Keep them rotated and you'll be fine. How do you like the 4Runner compared to the Tacoma? I keep going back and forth on whether I should trade my runner in for a new Tacoma. I love everything about my 4Runner though. Even after putting 110,000 on her...I can honestly say she's by far the best vehicle I've ever had.

Thanks..!! I agree, like any M/T the life of the tire is balance & rotate.

Taco - Honestly, I really only miss the storage space.. Duh.. Pick Up..!! The 4Runner is light years ahead of the Tacoma, as you know. I saw you mention the rear disc & t-case.. Don't forget the fully boxed frame, the Taco has a huge weak point here, you feel it loaded and on the trail it flexes like crazy. Another thing I miss is my Tacoma was very well built, and I kinda miss that, although its fun to start a new project. I think for a family friendly long travel and very capable off road rig, I'd stick with the Runner and/or get a new 5th Gen Runner and swap all your parts over (rack & wheels maybe). Don't get me wrong, you will for sure love the Tacoma, but you'll miss the space in the cabin, the Runner wins here hands down. This was one of the main reasons I sold the Taco = Cabin Space...

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Good points from both of you.

The taco is going to have more cargo for sure but the 4Runner is no slouch in that department. You put the rear seats down (they fold flat) and you have a really good amount of cargo room back there. Like I said, the taco definitely has more but I've slept in the back of the runner with my two maniacal kids on a full size air mattress. I'm 6'...6'1" on a good day and I was as comfortable as I could be given the sitch.

I forgot about the frame of the Taco. Excellent point. Wish the taco was just a 4Runner with a bed.

I like the idea of a bed simply for the utility. Hauling dirty gear, mulch, yard stuff, trash, etc. I'd likely put a softopper for the versatility. I like the looks of the SR taco way more than the other 3rd gens...the new fender flares look like an after thought.

I'm just rambling now..sorry guys.

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
This thread has been shelved so many times. Work, kids....life. Well, today was a sad day...I sold the beloved 4Runner. Last year, a lady wrecked into the front driver side corner and it hasn't been right since. So, I did what anyone would do and bought a new 2017 4Runner Trail (TRDOR). Not really sure of the direction I want to go with this one yet. Regardless, it's an awesome vehicle. Looking forward to the good times with this new gal.

I looked at 200s, GX460s, Tacomas, Power Wagons and few other wild cards but I always ended up pinning them up against the 4Runner. Grandfather always said "Don't fix what ain't broke"...4runner just works.

Build thoughts...

Roof rack delete (going to be tough because I use my Gobi so much)
Steelies (land cruiser gray)
Lift (possibly going back to OME)

mouse007

Explorer
This thread has been shelved so many times. Work, kids....life. Well, today was a sad day...I sold the beloved 4Runner. Last year, a lady wrecked into the front driver side corner and it hasn't been right since. So, I did what anyone would do and bought a new 2017 4Runner Trail (TRDOR). Not really sure of the direction I want to go with this one yet. Regardless, it's an awesome vehicle. Looking forward to the good times with this new gal.

I looked at 200s, GX460s, Tacomas, Power Wagons and few other wild cards but I always ended up pinning them up against the 4Runner. Grandfather always said "Don't fix what ain't broke"...4runner just works.

Build thoughts...

Roof rack delete (going to be tough because I use my Gobi so much)
Steelies (land cruiser gray)
Lift (possibly going back to OME)

AWESOME..!!! Best of luck buddy, can't wait to see it. I am totally with you, heavy accidents SUCK no vehicle ever recuperates from this.
On a side note, I have a full O.E. Roof Rack Delete kit (NEW). We can work out a deal if you'd like, I was going this route but went with a full length Front Runner Rack. Shoot me a P.M. whenever..!!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Yeah I love the Front Runner racks. My buddy has the short rack on his 5th gen and the quality is unreal. I fumigated I'd do the roof rack delete for now and if I ever wanted to throw the gobi back up there I can. The delete kits cheap enough to not worry about the loss. I'll pm you.

Thanks Mauricio!!

mouse007

Explorer
Yeah I love the Front Runner racks. My buddy has the short rack on his 5th gen and the quality is unreal. I fumigated I'd do the roof rack delete for now and if I ever wanted to throw the gobi back up there I can. The delete kits cheap enough to not worry about the loss. I'll pm you.

Thanks Mauricio!!

Fresh..!!! Your welcome sir.

Brettmototech

Hi! I’m about to order the same ome lift you had on your old 4runner. I have a 2013 trail. Just wondering if you would still recommend this lift . I’m a little curious if the front medium coils make the front sit to high. It looks like in your pics you still have rake which I’m fine with. I don’t currently have any mods still stock. Just driving myself crazy trying to figure out the right lift ??

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I'd say the rake is close to factory. The springs were a little stiff as I didn't have a bullbar or winch and never had a lot of constant weight in the back. It was a great lift though, never failed me...just a hair stiff. The front won't be too high. If you prefer to have some rake go for it.

Check out page 18 of my thread....there's a good side shot of my 4Runner that will give you a good visual.

Brettmototech

Thanks for you’re quick reply! I’ve decided to spend a little more money and go with the toytec boss kit. Have you done any mods to you’re new 4runner yet . Great thread by the way!?

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Brett, thanks! No nothing yet. Just dropped the 31M deep cycle battery in to run the arb fridge. Been enjoying it completely stock as boring as that is. Trying to fund another dual sport bike so all my focus (cash) is stashed for that :bike_rider:

TwinStick

Explorer
Popped into the ARB distribution center here in Jax. Was driving by and noticed the '16 Tacoma that ARB had at Sema. Beautiful truck. Complete with proto ARB bumper and Safari Snorkel. Met a few of the guys in there. They gave me a tour of the warehouse and asked any and all questions that I could throw at them. Super nice guys! Super nice and well organized warehouse, too. They threw some swag at me to thank me for my business. Thought that was impressive!

I've been really happy with all of my ARB equipment and this quick visit just made me appreciate it even more.

View attachment 341052
View attachment 341053
View attachment 341054

Quick question: Is that JUST a distribution center, or can you also buy stuff there ? Curious because we are leaving NY in 2 days for Fla. & was gonna stop there.....but I would like to buy some ARB fridge accessories. Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles