Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Well, after much debate...I finally decided to make a build thread. I'll use this thread to record my build along with my adventures, regardless of duration or complexity.

First, I'll start with thanking everyone that has contriubuted to this forum. It's an incredible resource and I enjoy it more than any other type of digital entertainment. It's not brand specific, yet everyone (for the most part) is like-minded.

Two days before heading out to Idaho with the family, I decide to stop by a Toyota dealership to see if they had a Trail on the lot. I just wanted to look...maybe test drive. They just so happen to have a salsa red Trail on the lot. Now, I don't care for the salsa red (no offense) but I was just there to test drive. So, the sales guy (actually pretty cool guy) came back about twenty minutes later with a set of keys. I couldn't help but say, "Dude, where the heck did you go...did you have to make the key?". Evidently, he couldn't find the salsa red key but he found a key to a silver Trail that had just come in that morning. Silver was the color I was most interested in....I thought " this could get interesting". Test drive went great and I loved the Trail BUT I wasn't there to buy; afterall, in two days I was flying out to ID for a ************ two week vacay. I didn't need to deal with the hassle of buying a new car...I should be packing, wrapping up stuff for work, etc.

Needless to say, what felt like 12 hours later, I drove home in my new 2013 Trail Edition 4Runner. Trade number on Tundra was more than fair and I felt really good about my haggled price.

The Plans:
- FJ Steel / 255/75r17 BFG MTs (COMPLETE)
- Stubby Antenna (COMPLETE)
- Husky Liners (COMPLETE)
- Drawer Storage
- ARB Fridge Freezer (COMPLETE)
- OME Lift (COMPLETE)
- Front Bumper
- Winch
- Gobi Roof Rack (COMPLETE)
- Ironman Awning - 6.5' (COMPLETE)
- Limb Risers
- RTT

2013 Toyota 4Runner Trail - Silver w/ KDSS

Stock

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
First order of business was to swap out the stock tires and wheels. The factory wheels are far too nice to bang up and figured they would be better off to go to someone else. So, I picked up a set of FJ steelies. Rattle canned them black and just let them sit in the garage until decided on a tire to wrap them in. I used to run the beloved 255/85s on my 3rd gen and they were great. I contemplated running them on my new 4runner but I didn't have any plans to lift yet, re-gear, etc. Plus, I still have to visit and entertain customers in this truck. It needs to remain somewhat professional. Some of the 4th gen guys on here are running 255/75/17s...little smaller than the 33.5 but still maintain that 10" width that I was looking for....Perfect! Come to find out, Jeep Rubicons come with this tire stock...Rubicon guys don't like stock size tires. I may as well try Craigslist. 255/75/17 galore!!! Called the first listing I came to....voila....(5) brand new BFG MT KM1s for less than I could've bought (2) new KM2 255/80s for. Not only did I find a good inexpensive solution to my immediate need but I found a somwhat endless supply of inexpensive tires.

Stock with FJ Steelies and BFG MT KM1DT

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Trails down here in FL are tight. Pin striping is inevitable. I can live with that. What I can’t live with is having to remove my factory antenna every time we go in woods. Found a stubby antenna…install time lasts seconds, convenience lasts a lifetime. Simple, cheap and functional. Around this time, I also ordered a set of Husky WeatherBeaters. I’ve had Huskys in quite a few other vehicles and loved them. I deviated and went with WeatherTechs for my 100 series and really didn’t care for them. So, for the Trail I went back to Husky and couldn’t be happier with the coverage and fit. I didn’t order the cargo mat because I’d like to ultimately build drawers back there and toss the factory slide out tray.

October 11th-14th, we had a free weekend. So, my son and I planned a trip north. The Government shutdown killed our plans for a National Forest outing but we were adamant about getting out. We set off in the loaded out Runner. We were determined to see the Georgia Mountains again after a failed attempt back in February. A few of the SEES guys put together a group trip at Crawford’s at Tellico near Murphy, NC. We tagged along and had a blast! Met some great folks and enjoyed the great scenery. Day 2, we blazed a few forest roads with the group in the Cherokee NF. My son loved it but was a little disappointed to not find a drop of mud. After the second night, we packed up and headed towards Bryson City, NC. We have a cabin up there that my son had never seen and that I haven’t seen in years. Somewhere in the Nantahala NF, we stopped for lunch. Sopping wet turkey and cheese with water logged tomato and onion on rye! Seriously, after three days of dealing with ice and a crappy cooler…I knew what was next on my “To Buy” list. Once in Bryson, we stopped by the Train Museum, wandered around downtown while enjoying some ice cream. Not too bad.
View from camp...Crawford's

Atop Buck Bald, TN

Lunch along the Nantahala...

Bryson City, NC

Untitled by crr1116, on Flickr

I learned a lot on this trip. I learned that I basically have my camp set up and tear down down pat. I learned that with a 4Runner, you need to pack wisely and don’t waste space. I learned that I need a fridge and a roof rack. Roof rack capable of holding more than just a 50lb kayak.
Pics to come.

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Took the family to Huguenot Memorial Park in Jax, FL. It was sunny but cool. Water was too cold for the kids to be tempted, so, it was just a relaxing day in the sand.
Beer, lunch, snacks, water, cokes and juice (anything we wanted to keep cool) was kept cold with the new ARB 50qt Fridge. Works and has worked flawlessly for the past 3 weeks. The convenience of a full-time fridge is amazing. If you're on the fence about getting one...get one.

Fridge in use at Huguenot....

4runner in use at Huguenot....

Kids having a blast with momma!!!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looks like a great build. FWIW I'm running that exact same tire/wheel combo for my "summer tires":BFG MTs in 255/75/17 on FJC steelies, and love them (because I live in snow country I kept my stock wheels and am running Cooper Discoverer M+S snow/ice tires on them. They're on right now, in fact.)

I second you on the fridge. Once you try a fridge you won't want to go back to a cooler!

That vehicle is almost too well equipped to keep it East of the Rockies. When are you bringing it out West? ;)

java

Expedition Leader
Love the steelies. How about drawers that keep your tray? I built a set that did that, it was nice to still have it to sit on or whatever.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Looks like a great build. FWIW I'm running that exact same tire/wheel combo for my "summer tires":BFG MTs in 255/75/17 on FJC steelies, and love them (because I live in snow country I kept my stock wheels and am running Cooper Discoverer M+S snow/ice tires on them. They're on right now, in fact.)

Ha! One of the 4th gen guys I was referring to. They're excellent tires and am very happy with the choice...size, brand, etc. Thanks for compliment, too.

That vehicle is almost too well equipped to keep it East of the Rockies. When are you bringing it out West? ;)

I'd love to get out there one day. Some day I will. Vacation time or should I say, lack thereof, keeps me from venturing too far right now. My sons love to camp and explore but only one of them is bearable in the car for any length of time. :Wow1:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Love the steelies. How about drawers that keep your tray? I built a set that did that, it was nice to still have it to sit on or whatever.

Java, I've thought about that, too. Would be great to have an entire drawer system that pulls out. I've read that with offroad use and a lot of weight, the factory slide tears apart pretty quickly. I'd hate to design and build a drawer box that mounts to the slide only to have to replace it a year down the road. The factory slide platform is made of fiberglass or plastic. I even considered just bolting some L track to it to use for tie downs but I'm not real confident in the materials used. Maybe I'm overthinking it...

java

Expedition Leader
Java, I've thought about that, too. Would be great to have an entire drawer system that pulls out. I've read that with offroad use and a lot of weight, the factory slide tears apart pretty quickly. I'd hate to design and build a drawer box that mounts to the slide only to have to replace it a year down the road. The factory slide platform is made of fiberglass or plastic. I even considered just bolting some L track to it to use for tie downs but I'm not real confident in the materials used. Maybe I'm overthinking it...

The ones I built are on a metal frame above the slide. They don't attach to it at all. Here is the build if your interested. Its a long read, with multiple iterations. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/80400-seattlemikes-cargo-project.html

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Love this setup GREATLY! Also the family pics are what make it all worth while

Thanks, heehaw. The family is what makes everything worthwhile :) .

The ones I built are on a metal frame above the slide. They don't attach to it at all. Here is the build if your interested. Its a long read, with multiple iterations. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/80400-seattlemikes-cargo-project.html

Thanks so much for the link, java! Those drawers are awesome but intimidating and look well beyond my ability. I actually read that entire thread a couple months ago. I saw the drawers in the for sale section, too. Wish I had the cash to have you ship them to me.

So sorry to hear about Mike.

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
It's been a while since I'v updated this tread. Works been crazy and the kids have been even crazier. Not too many documented adventures lately. With hunting season, holidays, etc...it's been tough to break away.

My frustrations grew pretty quickly with Gobi's lack of communication and lengthy time frame to deliver my roof rack. I called to cancel the order but Sandra promised to kick out the rack the next week. Gobi lived up to it's promise and sent te rack out the next week. I couldn't wait to get it.

Upon it's arrival...

The install was painless and very straight-forward. Good directions and the help from a friend...made it easy. A little over an hour was all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier