Adventure Tool Company's 1987 FJ60 "Rhino Ride" - Part 2 (2023)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I enjoyed having the OEM Steelies, but they were 15 x 5.5 and with BFG AT 10.5 they made the tires balloon in the middle of the tread, so I shipped them out to Stockton Wheel of California and had them widened to 15 x 8 and remounted the 10.5 AT's. It made all the difference in the ride and tire wear.Picture 003.jpg2008 Colorado Trip 091.jpgCPC_0161.jpgWMCCTF FJ60 updates 014.jpgWMCCTF FJ60 updates 016.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
So once all the tweeking was completed it was time to take the Rhino Ride out for a real test. I hit the road with a buddy in his V8 FJ60 and we headed West to Moab. It was a heck of a drive from Kansas City, MO to Moab and back, but the RR did the trip and the trails without a single problem! Gotta love these Cruisers!Moab 2010 044 (2).jpgMoab 2010 057.jpgMoab 2010 151.jpgMoab 2010 161.jpgMoab 2010 202.jpgMoab 2010 227.jpgMoab 2010 253.jpgMoab 2010 287.jpgMoab 2010 325.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Forgot to show some additional shots of the air cleaner hose and the ARB compressor install.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Thank you for providing your build up and specially for the outing pictures! Rock crawling in such a nice scenery - we dont have something similar in europe...
-
attachment.php

-
I have to come back to the Utah area soon :drool:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thank you for providing your build up and specially for the outing pictures! Rock crawling in such a nice scenery - we dont have something similar in europe...
-
attachment.php

-
I have to come back to the Utah area soon ?

You're always welcome back! Don't forget to stop by Colorado!

Cheers!image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Very nice! One thing I do have to bring up is that even when given a masculine name, ships, aircraft. vehicles, etc. are referred to as "her," not "him." It's your vehicle and you can call it whatever you want, but I was in the Navy and just can't resist pointing that tradition out. ;)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Interior

Since I run an Engel 45 fridge in the back when traveling I added a "power station" in the rear cargo panel. The power station consists of a Inverter, (2) 12volt plugs and a 12volt rechargeable flash light. Inside the fender, behind the ABS panel is a fuse and relay block, sorry no pictures of that.

Attachments

• WMCCTF FJ60 updates 019.jpg
    WMCCTF FJ60 updates 019.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 67
  • WMCCTF FJ60 updates 020.jpg
    WMCCTF FJ60 updates 020.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 70

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Your Land Cruiser has probably the cleanest rear seat removal that I've seen. I had wanted to avoid removing mine mostly for looks, but yours doesn't look bad at all!

ETA: Just saw the ExPo review of your tool roll. Nice!

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Your Land Cruiser has probably the cleanest rear seat removal that I've seen. I had wanted to avoid removing mine mostly for looks, but yours doesn't look bad at all!

ETA: Just saw the ExPo review of your tool roll. Nice!

Thanks!

Same here, but once I removed all the old plastic trim and seat hardware and cleaned the exposed metal it turned out nice. The new carpet, new headliner and ABS panels helped as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 59

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Paul,

Question: What size cable did you run to the inverter. Nice addition, as always, very well thought out!

Hi Ron-

Great question, but I honestly don't remember the gage....it's approx. 1/4 in in diameter. I recycled it from an old amp I had, so it was a heavy gaged wire.

Good luck!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Found some of the photographs from the H55 install and Transfer case rebuild. That's one pretty tranny...2008 Colorado Trip 001.jpg2008 Colorado Trip 002.jpg2008 Colorado Trip 003.jpg2008 Colorado Trip 005.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
While on one of our Colorado trips we came through Salida, Colorado and found the promise land of Land Cruisers! The owner of Classic Cruisers was the nicest guy and let us roam through the parts yard. It was like taking pictures in a National Park!

http://www.classiccruisers.com/2008 Colorado Trip 150.jpg2008 Colorado Trip 152.jpg2008 Colorado Trip 155.jpg2008 Colorado Trip 157.jpg2008 Colorado Trip 158.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
you made the replacement panels in the cargo area.

Mine are in pretty rough shape and the Wagon Gear versions are a little beyond my current budget.

Thanks[/QUOTE

John E-

The panels are made out of 1/8 inch black ABS. I purchased the ABS from a local plastic company in Kansas City and it came in 4x8 sheets. I used the old interior panels as my templates and a hand saber saw to cutout each panel and a hand drill to drill each of the mounting holes. I used automotive plastic pop rivets to attach each panel to the existing holes. The pop rivets can also be removed if I need to get into the area behind each panel.

I liked them so much that I built a set for my FJ55 after the mice chewed up the original panels!

Good luck on your project.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
So, I love my SROR rear bumper. It carries my full size spare, camp/trail tools, fuel can and I can climb up onto my roof rack to take pictures or grab/store gear. The one thing I've learned is to be very careful when opening the swing arm on a hill or after being on a rough trail due to the swing arm being very heavy! The clamp does a great job of securing the swing arm, but I've seen them break and the swing arm go flying open and crashing into the rear quarter panel! Ouch!
So, I added a safety pin with a 1/4 inch steel plate. I also wanted more light at the tall gate and added a post and mounted a Hella Work Light with a third brake light. It helps when backing up, setting up camp or using the tailgate as a kitchen.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94