Vehicle air conditioning really necessary?

Xrunner

Explorer
Necessary? No... but as others have pointed out a lot of modern conveniences and creature comforts aren't really necessary.

It does make summer trips more enjoyable, that's for sure. The dog likes it too. :)

4x4junkie

Explorer
There was also a time before heat, metal wheels, tooth paste, soap, fire, and the wheel in general.

Don't forget about the harnessing of electricity too. ;)

I went for a couple years without A/C on mine (quit working a few months after I bought the rig... PO probably just stuck freon into a leaky system just to make a selling point :rolleyes: ). I initially had the same thoughts and was going to tear all the A/C stuff out to save some weight, but a long August drive through the length of California's San Joaquin Valley changed that idea rather quickly. :Wow1:

Don't forget about the harnessing of electricity too. ;)

I went for a couple years without A/C on mine (quit working a few months after I bought the rig... PO probably just stuck freon into a leaky system just to make a selling point :rolleyes: ). I initially had the same thoughts and was going to tear all the A/C stuff out to save some weight, but a long August drive through the length of California's San Joaquin Valley changed that idea rather quickly. :Wow1:

I got my first vehicle with A/C in 2011 when I bought my 2011 ram, no I have my '13 Jeep with A/C. I also live in bakersfield, one of the hottest areas in California. How did I do it you may ask?

I have no clue. I love A/C. I like to drive around with the windows down and A/C on blast sometimes.

I still have my 4runner without A/C, I just drove it from colorado to Ca in september, but I drove mostly at night, so it wasn't bad. I off road with the windows down and ac off in the technical stuff, it not bad if you are moving.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Having spent years working in the desert I wouldn't be without it. Once you start flirting with heat stroke you need to cool your core in a hurry.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'd say it depends on your climate. But spend one July in the southeastern part of the USA during an afternoon rain storm and the question will be answered for you.

For day to day use, absolutely. I'm not showing up to work already sweaty and smelly. Not gonna happen. Also during the summer, yes, sometimes I have to wear a suit. I look great but that is a lot of layers for 105F.

My truck didn't come with A/C from the factory. But I just bought a kit to put A/C in it. Will it put more strain on my engine, cooling, etc? Probably. But too bad. I'd like to be able to travel the highway without dying.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't feel it's necessary. My '91 Hilux didn't come with A/C from Toyota. I made due until 2008, when I put on an aftermarket system. The compressor failed a couple of years ago and I haven't used it since. I don't miss it much. I've never worked at a place where I had to wear a suit or even business casual everyday, so most of the summer I work in shorts and Chacos. So it's not earth shattering on a daily basis.

Sitting in traffic gets uncomfortable but around here it's nice in the mornings even if it hits triple digits in the afternoon. I also tend to commute into work pretty early anyway, so 50s and 60s is the norm.

Ironically the only time I really consider fixing it is when it's cool, winter even. It can be difficult to defrost your windshield without it. But since I drove air cooled VWs as a kid you figure it out.

I will say this that trucks 30+ years ago were designed better for non-A/C, kick panel vents, wing windows in the doors, etc. It can be tough to get enough air flowing in my truck when it's really hot outside.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
"I'm really curious how old (pre-ac) expeditions across jungles and deserts dealt with this"

Below the window direct venting to the cabin - landrover "Tropical Roofs" which illiminate radiant heat

Oh and a people that usually understood what work and hard labor actually was..........

Not a bunch of cubicle heads who use a mouse for a living

AC is not required, it just makes you sweat less !

Hell early exploration was on foot- then horseback and hundreds of years later cars,,,,then AC was discovered and we all became softies:)

I insist on heated/ventilated seats, plus a heated steering wheel! :)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I will never give up AC again, unless I lived in a much more mild climate.

Same here. I bought my first vehicle in 1979, my first AC equipped vehicle in 1999.

I even lived in the South for 6 years (1992-98) with a non-AC vehicle (1990 Mitsubishi Montero.) It was miserable.

I will never go without AC again. Even my cheap little DD pickup has AC, I would not have considered a vehicle that didn't have it.

I'm really curious how old (pre-ac) expeditions across jungles and deserts dealt with this.

They suffered. If you think there is nobility in suffering or that it makes you a bada$$, go for it. I'll be sitting in my air-conditioned vehicle sipping a drink. ;)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Same here. I bought my first vehicle in 1979, my first AC equipped vehicle in 1999.

I even lived in the South for 6 years (1992-98) with a non-AC vehicle (1990 Mitsubishi Montero.) It was miserable.

I will never go without AC again. Even my cheap little DD pickup has AC, I would not have considered a vehicle that didn't have it.

They suffered. If you think there is nobility in suffering or that it makes you a bada$$, go for it. I'll be sitting in my air-conditioned vehicle sipping a drink. ;)

LOL. Every once in a while I will go ride in a friends tube buggy running really tough trails. I'll be thinking "wow, this is pretty cool I should do one of these"... and then it will start raining or something. :)

tacr2man

Adventurer
It is not absolutely necessary, but it does make traveling in high ambient s , much more bearable and therefore less tiring , and it is not always possible to get cooling by opening vents or windows as the air coming in can be like sitting facing a hair dryer. I do concur that most vehicles needed to be carefully watched when in high temps and working hard eg dune climbing to prevent overheating . there are secondary benefits such as previously mentioned , being able to pressurize the interior to keep bulldust out. particularly when traveling in convoy JMHO

oldestof11

Observer
YES! I love my AC, I wish i had cooled seats, my butt gets hot driving for long stretches, which is pretty common in expo type rigs. If you really don't want it cant most cars be ordered at the dealer without it? Can be used a OBA if needed too.

Here's a tip I learned from a friend. I was complaining of a hot sweaty back. He told me to crank the AC (Chevy's have awesome systems) and turn on the seats heat. Wow! It felt like a massage and the AC negated the extra heat.

brushogger

Explorer
Definitely AC if for no other reason than resale value. In the south and southern plains you won't get many lookers without it, and will have to sell it at a big discount to turn it. Compare the book prices with and without on 10 year old and newer vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Its all in what you want, for me, it a must have. I even put ac in my 72 Scout. I drive the old girl every where. I refuse to be uncomfortable. But thats me.
just my .02

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
My previous truck didn't have (working). I just lived with it, didn't bother me enough to spend $1,000+ to fix (it was also not my daily driver). My current Trooper has AC, and I still don't use it on the trail unless I am following a line of trucks and dust is an issue, I much prefer trail driving with all the windows open.

But where AC is really nice is on the highway. The fatigue from wind noise and impact while driving 75 mph across the Great Plains with the windows open is not an inconsequential thing.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If I want to suffer and sweat in hot weather, I have a motorcycle that will do that just fine (which is also the reason I like to stay in the mountains on hot days.)

Another factor some have pointed out is the fact that modern vehicles are designed with the assumption that you will have AC. The non-AC ventilation and cooling is pretty poor. Compare this with older vehicles that had vent windows and things like that to allow non-AC airflow and you can see that not having (or not using) AC in hot weather is just another way to be miserable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior