Project Time.. M101a1 picked up today

n2hcky

Observer
Awesome thread. Sweet ideas. I am building an M101A1 out with an RTT but going a less imaginative way! I got questions though. What axle and length is that?How did you put the struts on the new axle?

Axle is a 5300# 64" hub face to hub face, 3" tube from Southwest Wheel. The spring perches were shipped loose. It already has the flange for brakes if I ever want to go that route.
Since it is a 5300# the hub stub sticks out more than most and can't fit the center caps for the wheels but it is only a trailer.
Struts?.....I am guessing you mean the shocks on the axle....I haven't put them back on yet. I may or may not. I have towed many a trailer without shocks and never had any problem but if I decide to re-install them I will probably just get a universal mount from one of the offroad suspension places and remount the in similar spot as the stock one.

n2hcky

Observer
Got a bit more done this pat weekend.
Took the heavy rear stabilizer leg of and made a more user friendly style. Copied one I saw on an RV site.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Wow Very nice work on the stabilizer legs and hold downs.

Sell the original rear leg and make some $ back.

I like your work.

Phoenix

Adventurer
The ingenuity of the RTT rack is awesome. I'm thinking about purchasing an M101. With the lift gate down, how far off the ground is interior of the lift gate.

Thinking lift gate down, slide out chuck box / kitchen. I recognize that the measurements would change based on tire size.

n2hcky

Observer
Sorry for delay... was out of town.
I put new tailgate chains for that very purpose. It now lets down flush like a pickup tailgate.
Gonna be a good height for cooking. Mine sits at 32" with 265/70/17 tires.

The ingenuity of the RTT rack is awesome. I'm thinking about purchasing an M101. With the lift gate down, how far off the ground is interior of the lift gate.

Thinking lift gate down, slide out chuck box / kitchen. I recognize that the measurements would change based on tire size.

n2hcky

Observer
Not quite ready for a trip but things are getting closer.
Got my CVT tent in this week and had the luxury of having some help at work putting it on the convertible rack.

n2hcky

Observer
Not quite 100% ready but getting a lot closer.
Set up and sprayed down with water....not sure it was required but heard of many doing this.
Awning mount idea worked out perfectly. 2 quick straps unhooked and 2 hitch pins , easy move from transport position on side of trailer to proper height on tent rack.
Planning the first camping trip for late June.

Phoenix

Adventurer
So like that set up! Planning on the galley in the rear of the trailer?

Does anyone have issues with cooking close to their RTT or Awning?

n2hcky

Observer
Wondering myself about any issues cooking underneath, but I have seen a lot of pics with people doing it.
I do have a fold out camp kitchen for the stove but the tailgate is perfect height too so I am sure it will be used for prep and or cooking too.
Will be rigged so I can put awning on the side also if I ever need to go that route.

n2hcky

Observer
The finish doesn't quite match the trailer but it will sure get the job done.
So many of the tongue boxes I found were short.....this one gives lots of storage space in a small footprint.

n2hcky

Observer
I know I may get some flak for this.....some may say "glamping" but being in the south it will sure make it much more enjoyable this summer.

It was surprisingly easy to to get the AC all sealed up to the tent. Of course the rack system made it whole lot easier. I get to test it all out this up coming weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94