GPS For A Dune Buggy In Glamis.....

kara.airnsun

I really need help. I am trying to get my husband a GPS for his dune buggy for his birthday. I have gone to several stores but the idiots there don't know anything about GPS systems because they all say "I just use my phone for directions....". I also tried emailing Garmin and I have had no response. Their website is confusing me even more with the topo maps and this and that.

Long story short can anyone give me advice on a good gps here is what I am looking for:

-Mainly, a GPS for Glamis Dunes (or applicable topo map thing...) Id really like for it to already be included and have no idea what the extra maps and stuff are about.
-I want to be able to add coordinates and have it point me in the right direction!!!
-I want the bread crumb feature I know my husband loves saving his tracks.
-I would like it to be rugged...please dont tell me to get some app or use an ipad or something ridiculous like that We ride hard, its going to get totally blasted with sand and shaken up like its in a blender. For $300+ I want it to last!
-Id like a large display although I know that will be tough...my husband is old. Got bad eyes. Something bigger so he isn't yelling "WHATS IT SAY!?" our entire ride.
-I would like to be able to back track my tracks but thats not AS important as creating the tracks.
-I would like the 3D view where I can see where I have gone in elevation not just distance.

*I did at one point use my phone to track our route, I think I used some google tracks app or something. It was a gps, it gave you a 3D satellite image...and the coolest part was after our ride you could hit a playback button and it would show you like a movie where you rode...it is such a cool app!!!!!

I would like exactly that but in a nice rugged GPS that I can mount on my buggy.

Anyone, please help I have about 5 days to find one and hopefully it wont cost me upwards of $500....I'm hoping to stay in the $300 range but go a head and tell me what you recommend regardless of price and Ill go from there.

Thank you ahead of time!!!

Kara

kara.airnsun

Thanks I have. But they are in the $500 range. I was hoping someone had some advice on one that is a little more my price point. Thank you though Ill check into it again.

Mr. King

Undecided
How About...

This~
gpsmap-62.jpg

It's about $50 out of your range. Clicky

The screen is not quite as large as you might like but it appears that it will do just about everything else you want.

The next GPS step down lacks the ability to use an SD card. That may not mean much until you decide to add a special use map later. A desirable accessory.

You would have to get City Navigator (another map) if you want to use it for guided navigation on the street as is the case with the majority of units at this price point.

It is waterproof so it should be fine in the sand. You might consider a screen protector at some point because of the sand.

These are the best mounts you can get. Clicky You'll need to go through the page to find the mount that best suits your buggy.

Get your model numbers for the GPS and mount above and then search Amazon for the best prices.

I hope this helps a little. When it comes to GPS it seems that everything is a cost/benefit compromise.

Good luck in your hunt!

Mr. King

kara.airnsun

Amarone a mi!

Thank you for the response.

I really dont think that tiny screen is going to cut it. Where it will be positioned on the buggy will make that tiny screen nearly impossible to see.

I called garmin and they suggested the montana its a 4 in screen (better) the problem on that is the price. Its $500 plus you need the TOPO map which is an additional $129. This is way out of my price.

Im not wondering if I can get a cheaper GPS and a good case similar to an otterbox and just load the maps that I need (Topo West 24k DVD)

Now I thought finding a case would be easy, seems not. Seems that every case is a closed case (cant see the screen) which will do be absolutely no good. If anyone else has some tips let me know!

Thank you!

kara.airnsun

It looks like its going to be the Garmin Montana. I think Ill bite the bullet and buy it. Damn it though $500!? That is alot of money!!!

Mr. King

Undecided
It looks like its going to be the Garmin Montana. I think Ill bite the bullet and buy it. Damn it though $500!? That is alot of money!!!

I personally use a Montana and was going to to suggest it except for the $$$. I think you will find that it will work well for you. You will want the screen protectors for for this one because it is a touch screen.

Sorry that you had to spend the money. Glad you picked a good unit!

Enjoy!

Mr. King

Longtallsally

Adventurer
You don't need to buy Topo maps. If you go to GPSfiledepot.com I think it is, you can d/l free topo maps. The Montana is a really nice unit. For my trail GPS, I use the 62s to replace a 60csx I broke on the trail.

In addition, you should have a physical map as well- unless you know the area- such that you can do a point of reference at times.

You can also get tracks from various sites of locations to load on to the unit when you are out and about.

CodyY

Explorer
3D and topo are only going to complicate the screen in the dunes.

Cabelas had the Garmin 62 on sale for 200 @ black friday. Im still using the Garmin 60cx I bought as a refurb in 2007. Enduros, hiking, dualsport riding, Kayaking.. still ticking. Lots of maps avail for loading. All you need are waypoints for the truck and a line for a track.

Plug that info into Basecamp or Google earth after the fact.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I have the Garmin Montana and like it a lot. Yes, it is expensive but it is very nice. I have a RAM mount for my motorcycle and the locking Garmin AMPS cradle. I recently got another AMPS cradle and a mount for my Jeep so I can move the GPS from vehicle to vehicle. I didn't bother with the one with the camera or built in maps because I added a sd card and my own maps.

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles