Best camp stove for long trips? Partner steel vs? Diesel cooktops?

S2DM

Adventurer
Searched the forum a bit and didnt really see a definitive thread on the best stove out there for longer trips, week or two away from the grid at a time.

We are travelling from the states to South America. Originally considered the coleman duel fuel because I figured unleaded would be ubiquitous. Have heard propane is as well, though some tell me the adapters for filling the tanks can be tough.

But, wondering, if cost isnt a big factor, what's the best out there in a two burner stove? Any new thoughts on diesel powered cook-tops (our rig is diesel)? Does the partner steel put out enough BTU's in most people's opinion?

-S

perkj

Explorer
Given where you're headed and the lack of White gas/coleman fuel, unleaded, and propane, your best option may be to go with a Kerosene stove since Kero is available just about anywhere. The only true two burner kero stove I'm aware of is the Optimus 22 (not the 22b, it is a WG fuel only stove). These stoves are rare as they are no longer made and they are highly sought. expect to pay over $200 for one in "okay" condition. I purchased one that was never light for $350.

Your other option is to just go with a trusty coleman WG stove....either a 425 (smaller of the two) or 413 (larger of the two). You can find them all day long on ebay, craigslist, etc. These stoves are ultra reliable and the only thing you really ever need to do to them is keep the pump cup oiled. 1-2 gallons of Coleman fuel/white gas should easily last you 2 weeks using it for b-fast, lunch, dinner every day. If space isn't a concern, go 413....specifically the 413G as IMO its the best of the 413 line. The 413H and then the newer dual fuel 414s got the cost reducing treatment and the sheet metal on them is very thin compared to the older 413Gs.

Regarding diesel - the only stoves you'll find that will burn it will be backpacking stoves from the likes of Optimus, MSR, etc. However I caution running a stove on diesel or unleaded for food. Using these fuels to heat water is ok, but you don't want to cook food with these fuels.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier