Morris Mule Trailers

c_mack9

Adventurer
That's good info. I wonder how difficult it would be to get the tent to the top position? Some gas struts would help out, I wonder if they could add those to get some assist for the rtt.

01Bullfrog

Anybody get info on "other" hub options? can this be optioned w/Brakes? They would be a nice option on steep downhills.

jasonwbeck

I hope it's not bad form to make this post I'm Morris of Morris Mule Trailers and I thank you for the interest in our trailers.

To Greg - What you describe is exactly what we made this trailer for. We should also have out bike rack, which fits into the rear coupler, ready to release soon - however any 2" coupler accessory can be used with our trailers. We should have a dealer in Colorado very soon. I am not a rock-crawler either but you can see a short clip of our trailer behind a Rubicon on a trail near our factory here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpyuctbFC58&noredirect=1

To Lou - I agree the split-top is not the optimal design when water-proofing is the key - but is a necessity for the split table rig. However where they meet in the center we "gutter" one lid and overlap it with the other, add rubber seals to the sides, front and rear. The lids are tightly held in place with thick rubber "Jeep Style" hold downs. The only times I have had water penetrate the seals is when I have used a high pressure hose during a wash. We are adding a single top option and should have it out in March.

Thanks again for your interest and if anyone else has questions post 'em and I'll try to answer'em.

Hi Morris, is the single top option available yet?

Stopbit

Just picked a trail grade Morris Mule

So the rack is not really adjustable, they provide two sets of bars. One set for the high and one set for low. I do plan to get a RTT in May after looking at a few during the Overland Expo.

jungblud

Observer
I visited Morris last week in Anniston AL. I was headed to Talledega Nat'l Forest to do some camping and have been wanting to order a trailer from him. The need for the trailer is to bring the family for a trip to GC, Utah and Colorado in June. Tight timeframe. My J30 just doesn't sleep 4!

Morris is a really down to earth guy and is a good communicator...very easy to talk to. These little trailers are built right. He showed me around his operations and I got to see a few trailers that were in progress. Happy to report I'll have a Morris Mule behind the Jeep for my trip.

The uprights are beefy 1/8" thick steel tubing (I didn't catch the exact steel alloy he uses). I plan to put a CVT Mt Rainier RTT on mine the day I get it home. After this June trip, I plan to add some linear actuators and modify the rack to be able to adjust its height effortlessly and to get enough room underneath to comfortably walk around.

Morris has the most solid foundation of an expedition trailer I've seen. The fact he is East Coast (SE even!) is and has a small dealer network is rare in the expedition trailer business as I've researched them all. Glad to have him in my backyard!

LostBurro

Observer
My Experience with a Morris Mule "Trail Grade" Trailer

My first post. WOOHOO!!!

I hope this post helps to answer some questions regarding the Morris Mule trailers. I'm sure it will create more.

On 23March2015 I took delivery of a crated Morris Mule Trail Grade model trailer. It was damaged in shipment but Morris was on top of sending a replacement for the damaged part (rack support post). These posts are 1” square, .125 thick steel tube so somebody at FedEx had to hit this thing HARD.
On 25March2015 I assembled my MULE. (Timelapse video posted to the MorrisMule Facebook page.)
When I got to the point of installing the wheels I noticed that one of the wheel/tire combos had 7.5oz of weight on the outside and 6oz on the inside. Seemed to be a bit much for a P235/75R-15, so I took it to the tire/4X4 store I deal with. The wheel was bent. I contacted Morris and they had a replacement wheel sent out by their supplier in Texas (rcvd 06April). Guess what? It was bent also. As I was leaving for Death Valley in two days I didn't have time to mess around so I had the tires mounted on some rusty wheels I had in the back yard and called it “good”.
(Morris has bent over backwards in an attempt to get Dexstar to send me a round wheel, but as of this writing I have not heard from them. But then it's only been two weeks since I sent them the link to my wheel video. (search youtub for “Dexstar Trailer Wheel”))
Meanwhile, I made up a MaxCoupler hitch setup, using a 6k# MaxCoupler. (The importance of this will become evident later on.)
300 miles into my trip I stopped at a rest area and just pushed gently on the top of one of the tires....hmmmm, wheel bearing was REALLY loose. (Dexter axle) So, roadside bearing adjustment (both sides). Back on the road.
If you know the Death Valley area at all, these are the places I went: Trona Pinnacles, Ballarat, Indian Ranch Road, Charcoal Kilns/Thorndike Campground (the long way from Panamint Valley), 20 Mule Team Canyon, Ash Meadows NWR, Greenwater Valley (Furnace Wash Road), Cottonwood Canyon (to end), Minnietta Mine. And pavement in between all of the above. (Stills slideshow on youtub channel pbsalfen) Total trip mileage 2300+.
While camped in Cottonwood Canyon I realized the spare tire carrier was broken. No worries, I threw the spare up on the trailer's high rack, with my second vehicle spare, and went on with my trip. Luckily I spotted this. This would not have been pretty had it fallen off on the interstate on my way home.

Short story long; the wheels were/are a manufacture issue, not something Morris has any control over. The wheel bearings being out of adjustment is something I would normally have checked, but I was too “wrapped around the axle” about the wheel issue. As the adjustment 'should have been' correct when it left the Dexter plant it's not something that can easily be checked until the axle is actually attached to the trailer and the wheel/tire combo is mounted. Which is an end user or dealer install.
So, other than the spare tire carrier breaking (I believe a redesign is in the works) there were no issues with the “trailer”. I did destroy the trailer end of the MaxCoupler but Chris @ Kilby sent me a 12k# replacement end. Still leery (not Timothy) about it's use and may switch to a Lock N Roll, meanwhile I'm back to the supplied 2” ball hitch.

Tracked great and went everywhere I spurred it on to.

A couple of things to think about if looking at the Morris Mule trailer.
If you plan on using a tire taller than the P235/75R (approx. 28.5”), don't blindly purchase the spare carrier as anything taller won't fit. Morris could probably make you a carrier that will fit a taller tire.
If you want to use any 15” wheel (Jeep anyway) with a backspacing deeper than 3.75” it won't fit the Dexster axle, or the standard spare carrier. A deeper wheel will hit the leading edge of the trailing arm. I don't have any experience with 16”, or larger, wheels so I can't say if they would clear the arm, or not.
Morris can get other width axles and those with electric brakes. That would just add time, and money, to the standard build.
They can get hubs to match your tow rig, if you so desire.
The front of the fenders could use a coat of bed liner, or equivalent. Mine got pretty chipped up on my trip. I'm just going to hit them with some primer and call them George.
From the time I assembled my trailer and when I left for my trip we had about 5" of rain, and it stayed dry inside. I think it seals well enough, for the northwest anyway.

Would I recommend this trailer to a friend? Heck yah! And I have.

P.S. I'm not a youtub “partner” so I'm not making any money off my videos. I have said NO to ads on my videos, but google does what it wants and I have no control over that.

jungblud

Observer
At a little over 2700 miles on the Mule for this extended trip I'm really pleased. The fact is I was able to put 18 gal of water, hot water heater, house battery, fridge, RTT, solar power and electrics together on this little trailer in about a month. This is a testament to it as a platform for overland travel. Was it fun? Yes, but it was downright stressful with our target of June 1 at the South Rim, but I'm pleased that we made it!

I've just taken the finished product across the US from our home near Chattanooga to the Grand Canyon and beyond. We have been on the road for 12d and just left a 4d stay in Tuweep Campground overlooking on the Western end of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There is about 60mi off tarmac to the campsite. This includes everything from smooth gravel to red clay to black cinders to sand to mud to 4wd low rock ledge sections. Quite fun!

The little Mule has followed us the whole way without a single issue. I'm not babying her either as I did find the limits of the stability control in the Rubi today on a washboarded curve! Towing a trailer of any ilk at 60mph on gravel is a bit of a handful! I think I got the whole rig off the ground one time today over a cattle guard or two. The trailer brakes on the heavier Dexter axle with a Tekonsha P3 are a must to keep the train safe.

Anyhow I'm pleased, very pleased with this trailer and I am grateful for Morris' effort to make the 35" tires work. The only other option I'd consider is a Sportsmobile or U-Joint Offroad conversion van; however the trailer gives us the option of choosing the tow vehicle based on what we are looking to do.

We're in Zion NP (amazing!) at the moment cleaning up and tanking up in preparation to head North to the Kolob Reservoir and Capitol Reef in our push North to SLC to visit friends.

IMG_20150607_100931.jpg

Last edited:

LostBurro

Observer
jungblud,

Very nice! They, the company, are excellent when it comes to attempting to accommodate special requests. Like your fenders.

Did you have to cut the ends of the rack off to work with that particular CVT tent? AND, when you get home can you post a pic, or two, of how you attached the can holder/s? Would be greatly appreciated. :)

joelbert

Adventurer
The "cut ends off rack question" is answered earlier in the thread since I had the same concern. No, they can be turned up side down.

I don't own one yet though.

============I asked==============

One question that I have that I can't tell from your website. Let's say I had a tent or even a sheet of plywood laying across the rails shown, would that interfere with lids opening. It seems like they fold out so I'm concerned that they would hit the bottom of the tent/sheet plywood. For the uprights, there is a low setting and a high rack setting. Is there any adjustment between the two that would allow it to be slightly higher than low (able to allow the lids to fold out).

Also, the L pieces that are at the end of each rack, pointing up may interfere with a tent/piece of plywood as well.

============They answered==============

With the racks in the high
position you can load the racks and open the lids. With the rack in the
low position the load must be removed to open the lids. The support poles
for each unit are set lengths so there is no in-between setting. The "L"
pieces are secured with a 1/4 inch pins and all 4 can be removed (or
turned upside down) in less than a minute.

screwball48

Explorer
Thank you for the updates on this company and its products. Has anyone noticed the two piece lid as being inconvenient? I could see accessing items inside the trailer during adverse weather less than ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostBurro

Observer
The "cut ends off rack question" is answered earlier in the thread since I had the same concern. No, they can be turned up side down.

I don't own one yet though.

In your photo there isn't a fixed, or changeable, end on the aft crossbar and a piece of flat bar (welded?) on the fwd one, as opposed to the factory racks square tube, on the end. By your comment "I don't own one yet though" I assume you are talking about a set of the old crossbars. So, MY question about the ends you currently have was not answered in any previous post.

Given your photo I was confused as to the rack ends. Then I realized that what you have, and apparently modified for use with your tent, are the newer rack system crossbars, with fixed ends*, and what Morris was talking about when they answered your email questions, back in July2014, (See your post dated 20FEB2015 "In July, 2014, I was looking at these and asked them a few questions.") was the OLD rack system. The new rack crossbars are solid and the old rack crossbars are adjustable.

In this photo the LH piece is the end of the new crossbar, non-adjustable, fixed upright*. Middle is the old crossbar end w/extendable piece* in the "up" position and RH piece is the old crossbar with the extendable piece* in the "down" position.

IMG_2366.jpg

* Which neither of your crossbars have.

Last edited:

LostBurro

Observer
Has anyone noticed the two piece lid as being inconvenient? I could see accessing items inside the trailer during adverse weather less than ideal.
At times it was inconvenient but, for the most part no. For anyone with back issues, or those of us that aren't 6' tall, it could be a strain to reach over the open lid to remove something from the bed, but there is always access from the front and via the tailgate. It certainly was nice having the extra table space when in camp. The one thing I DID find inconvenient was accessing the lids front hold down with my ice chest on the front rack area. I just left it undone and stuck a lock in the lid lock and it worked out OK.
I didn't have any adverse weather on my trip, so I can't answer the second question. It was raining, off & on, when I was packing for my trip and I just used bungee cords, instead of the supplied turnbuckle/chain setup, to hold the lids. That way I could flip them open/closed quicker and easier. The open lid makes for a great bar area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz