Kamp-Rite Oversized Tent Cot with Rain Fly

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Having previously sold our Eezi-Awn RTT, we were in the market for a replacement tent for the family (found one) and one for myself for when I go out solo. I considered going with Aussie style swag tents and tent cots, but found the prices to be completely ridiculous, the US bivy tents prices weren't to far off as well. Ideally what I was looking for was something that was easy to set up, provided a comfortable nights sleep, was easy on the wallet, and provided a barrier from at least the creepy crawlies. Oddly enough what I saw on multiple Aussie videos and pics was this green cot tent... The Kamp-Rite Oversized Tent Cot. After further searching I was amazed that it was readily available in the states let alone available at O......k.com with a 15% off coupon to bring the price to 136.32 with free shipping. Was I stoked? Yes! Think I found what I was looking for.

As per Kamp-Rite:

"Dome style" for extra headroom
Waterproof coating
No-See-Um mesh doors and windows
Bed Size - 90"L x 32"W
Tent Size - 90"L x 32"W x 40"H
Folded Size - 34" x 34" x 7" deep
Sturdy aluminum frame keeps you 11" off the ground
There is nothing like sleeping on a cot outdoors. During cold weather, it gets you off the heat-stealing ground, and when the hot weather hits, a cot allows your body to take advantage of breezy nights. The Kamp-Rite Oversized Tent Cot is a versatile piece of outdoor furniture that has a tent built on top of a sturdy aluminum cot frame. Built out of 210D Poly Oxford fabric with a 1500mm PU waterproof coating, no-see-um mesh doors and windows, the rain fly provides plenty of ventilation and protection from the elements when needed. The Oversized version of the Tent Cot is built to accommodate taller campers and to give more "elbow-room" for other campers. The "dome style" design allows for extra headroom. Cot features an an EVA moisture barrier/insulating pad underneath and offers the ability to tilt one end you can enjoy the relaxing comfort of a lounge chair during the day. Weight capacity: 350 lbs. Carry weight: 24 lbs.

With multiple nights camping in Death Valley during various weather conditions I can give a some what review on the Kamp-Rite Oversized Tent Cot. My first night I set it up in the dark with no rain fly... My 2M Hannibal did provide some coverage from the rain, one side was left exposed. With no rain fly I awoke that morning expecting my sleeping bag to be drenched... to my amazement everything was dry on the inside... wow, no drips. The following night the temperature was significantly lower... I slept with the rain fly and it added an extra layer of protection from the strong winds and rains of that night. That morning the rain fly also aided in keeping a blacked out tent for later morning sleeping. What I did find out that night was that in very cold weather the tent cot is best used with a air mattress in addition to its built in mattress. The nights used there after it was used with the fly and an additional air mattress and the nights sleeps were phenomenal! I'm using a 3" mattress and 0* canvas bag fyi. If your looking for an economical solo solution to keep you some what off the ground, warm, dry, and ease of set up and use... this is a definite viable solution for you solo camping needs. Okay what are its downfalls... It is somewhat of a large piece when packed. I carried it upright in the back of the LC... actually took up minimal space that way, may be a bit big for smaller vehicles. The material held up well in strong winds, rain, and even a bit of snow... but, I can see it easily puncturing or chaffing a hole (it's not ripstop canvas) your typical tent material. Other than that I am completely stoked and satisfied with this purchase.

With rain fly under awning. I used a case to store my boots during the night to keep them dry.

4 windows/entrances with separate no see um zip up screens, 2 width wise stowage pockets, and central tie down for lantern or head lamp.

Easily stored up right in the carrying case in the back of the LC.

Geologists Cabin, Butte Valley, Death Valley 11/25/13

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I too have purchased this tent cot. great write up! I learned about this solution after attending last May ExPo having tried out the ground swag by ARB.

The climbing of aluminume ladder does not appeal nor make for "happy knees" either!

just recently, I added a front floor Mat as a dirt free foot landing zone for those early morning hours I need to add liquid to the ground water. the idea of a storage container to do double duty as a boot barn is a grand idea I had not considered. I hate crawlers with fangs or stingers interrupting my fun factor.:elkgrin:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I am a stocky 6'3". I wonder if it would be worth getting the two person model to have some room for a few things other than myself...

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I bought the oversized one person. I am 6'-3" and 275. It works fine for me. When I was buying, the double had a center bar that ran the length of the cot. Even with an air mattress, that bar was noticeable. Maybe the newer ones are different.

BobA

Adventurer
I have the oversize single and the 2 person one. I only used the 2 person one for a week with my son. Worked pretty good when we were on the move alot. It fit nicely up on my jeep wranglers roofrack . If it were to rain i would have no way to keep it dry while driving though. The wind tore the cover up a little as well. Overall it worked well. I would probably use them more if I had a larger vehicle to transport them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles