Paris / New York - Transcontinental 2009

egn

Adventurer
There is news at http://www.thegreatrace2008.com.pl/ .

The english language version of the website isn't working yet, only polish and german. I translated part of the text with the help of Babelfish:

In only 80 days the members of the century expedition 2008 left nearly 40,000 kilometers and 12 time belts behind itself. However, with a vehicle they drove thousands kilometers over awayless sibrisches area during the particularly frosty and snow-rich century winter. Intentionally they selected this date, in order to reach under extreme conditions the Bering Strait on the heaviest "north way". In the extremely low temperatures, thousands kilometers by the taiga area, by valleys and over mountain passes. On the ice from rivers and lakes they went always forward through deep snow. They were accompanied by no other vehicle, because in this season even the Russians do not make themselves so particularly gladly on the way - that is the frost and snowstorm time. They marked out, called the routes "cold ways" for other heavy vehicles. In the daily fight with the Siberian winter they pulled solidary many vehicles out of deep snow traps. They were also saved. They created, which failed the other one before them! Within straight times two months, from the starting point in Portugal, exceeded them 180° of the eastern geographical length on the cross beam of the legendary Schmidtkaps. Other preceding isolated expeditions already reached cape Schmidt. They wanted further! Thus they drove. On the same day they reached the small town Egvekinot at the cross bay, where Diesels and provisions were filled up. Starting from this point they were already winners! On the legendary 121 - kilometers distance (since Egvekinot footnote R.K.) have they cut trakt left and on the east depended. The mountains of the peninsula Tschukotka have it cross and crosswise umfahren and finally reached the Beringsee. They confessed with the wheels on the ice of the Arctic ocean and the Pacific! Sometimes they needed 5 hours for 15 meters. 15 meters in 5 hours! As much time took that up to open the frozen-over vehicle. There was one week, there only 207 km was put back. Despite daily 16-Stunden fight against the snowstorm and over 500 the frost. They reached the area, where so far no mechanical wheeled vehicle is alone come. The drivers of the north area brought admiration and estimation to them. With their journey of the Roca cape in Portugal to the peripheries of Tschukotka, they, as first in automobile history, connected the western peripheral areas with the eastern peripheral areas. Since without extreme expeditions and it was so far not discovered accompanying competition spirit, the world, the participants of the century expedition 2008 call the others to the competition. The interest in this expedition is very large among the lovers of the rough-terrain vehicles and by emotions is accompanied. Therefore one can expect that the courageous ones and connoisseur are shortly, which want to defy the winter and Siberia. The participants that century - expedition 2008 invite to it still times cordially!!! We invite you cordially to our photo gallery.

The image galerie can be found at http://www.thegreatrace2008.com.pl/de/fotogaleria2008.php

The furnace didn't work for some time and so they had -37° C in the cab. The lowest temperature was about -63° C. Some of the seals where destroyed. Some automatic fuses where malfunctioning. The had to run the Deutz engine continuously for 3 weeks.

Last edited:

BlueGerbil

C´est le gerbil plus bleu
The last prearrangements are in full swing: the expedition Jeeps are being loaded and prepared, there’s an atmosphere of departure at Extrem Events.
Tonight, the participants will leave for Paris where the “Paris / New York – Transcontinental 2009”-expedition begins.

For a long time the entire team of Extrem Events has continuously worked towards this moment. Thus all participants are full of expectation.
We would like to sincerely thank our partners and helpers again who make this expedition possible.

Also, new pictures of the modified, floatable vehicles as well as the special trailers can be found on our homepage www.pny2009.com

991433db3d1527cdca1f28c3c26f2f72.jpg

BlueGerbil

articulate said:
Hello . . . uh, so we're floating that sucker across the Atlantic?

Nope - the plan is to drive from Paris in eastern direction through Europe and Asia to the Bering Strait between Russia and Alaska and to cross the Bering Strait on the ice and partly swimming. You can view the entire route on www.pny2009.com

BlueGerbil

10/02/08: START OF EXPEDITION

Finally! Starting as a vision in the head of Matthias Jeschke some years ago and realized by an expanding and motivated team in approximately 15 months, the expedition has now become vivid and tangible. Today is the beginning of the 43,000 km long distance track from Paris to New York.

A successful kick-off was the press conference of the German Embassy in the French capital city. The resulting dpa-news communication led to huge press coverage in various kinds of media as for example the “Financial Times Deutschland”, the “Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung” and the broadcasting company RTL.

Please have a look in our media coverage section.

Furthermore there are significant pictures in our gallery as a documentation of this historical event.

The atmosphere of departure is remarkably obvious within the team. Finally at the beginning of something unbelievable! The expedition has started!

Last edited:

BlueGerbil

03. Oktober 2008

Slowly creeping through the Paris traffic of the inner city, we are surmounting the roofs of the other cars – accompanied and thronged by the crossing scooters and motor bikes. Our cars are sticking out of the crowd, which is obvious due to curious to astonished looks of pedestrians and drivers as well as fast-paced taken pictures. There is no possibility to oversee our branded Jeeps with all the additional special equipment.

The dpa-publication (German press agency) from yesterday is still in use. Not only publications in print and internet reached our office, but also news in radio and television. Dpa-radio distributed the interview with Matthias Jeschke to 80 different radio stations and furthermore we received an invitation for a live show of RTL. The media response exceeded our expectations. Especially due to the dominant Motor Show Paris, our partners are thrilled about the amount of response.

In the afternoon we drove to the exhibition and placed the car in an exciting manoeuvre near the exhibition hall 1. We haven’t been displaced by the police, but interestingly been watched and congratulated. We felt honoured to have the vice president of Chrysler International, Mr. Thomas Hausch to welcome the team and to sign the three Jeep bonnets as first person. Afterwards all team members followed. Thomas Hausch emphasized again his confidence in our expedition and he is looking forward the reunion in New York.

Now it is obvious for everyone what happens here. We are ready – It begins! The historic expedition „Paris / New York - Transcontinental 2009“ has started. Happiness and is visible in the faces and motivation, not only to start to circle world, but also to reach the goal in Mai 2009 in New York.

BlueGerbil

04. Oktober 2008

The day starts with a jam-packed breakfast hall. It is weekend and we are staying in a Disneyland hotel. Many families are once more using the weekend to visit the theme park and with around 150 people they are a huge part of this morning jam.

However, the next call made all breakfast stress disappear, because Matthias Jeschke gave the first live interview of the expedition with SWR 1, which gets on air in Germany only a few minutes delay. Over the following Link you can listen to this Interview in MP3: http://www.pny2009.com/cms/upload/Medien/Radio/2008_10_04_SWR1.MP3

We are going to refuel: Beside regular gasoline we are pumping a part of the cellulose ethanol in the tank what we brought along and mix it to an E30 mixture (30% Ethanol; 70% Gasoline).

The engines whir as usual and swallow the Ethanol of the second generation like they used anything else. No output loss, no changing behaviour. We are leaving Paris northwards in direction of Belgium. For some attendees this has been the first time at the steering wheel of our extremely modified Jeeps, what has given extra tension and motivation.

Even the partly existent language barriers could not cloud the great atmosphere. Far from it! We were talking with hands and feets and these kinds of talks provided a lot of fun with quite a few guffaws of laughter.

On our way to Antwerp, for the first time, we have been able to calculate realistic consumption data for the vehicles – withal the total height of almost 3 meters and a definite higher weight compared to the standard Jeep, the average consumption is only between 12.8 and 14 Litres / 100km.

We spend the evening at the home of Johann Nietvelt and his family, one of the record driver of the “Panamericana – 2006“project. Beside a delicious dinner we have been invited from our host to try a bit of the diversity of the Belgian beer selection. Luckily we are staying in Antwerp tomorrow and nobody has to drive.

cf3082697edae0c8be964d2906b02608.jpg

b156c965e67606c7b2aa45b85632b20b.jpg

9c8ae6039d3ca8c5276fa00bd13ac7b6.jpg

3b979e4df7383b8f49ef4177d5e2445f.jpg

BlueGerbil

Early this morning, we left from Antwerp to the photo shoot in Brussels where we - as a funny coincidence - met two young Englishman on their way to the North Cape.

For me, the gathering was like a closing circle in my life.

In 1989 I left for the North Cape. At that time in winter, I was driving all by myself with an old self built and restored VW Bus northwards and walked the last 12.5 Miles in a dangerous mission all alone through metres of high snow to the peak of Europe.

I must have had a guardian angel already at that time, because due to wrong informations regarding the distance length I lost my strengths on the way back. Despite all efforts a distant passing military vehicle was not able to notice me. Exhausted, I sank down and must have lied there in the snow for a while, because when I regained consciousness it was already late afternoon and it began to dawn.

At the place I woke up was a small water puddle, being build around a marking pole. I took some sips and walked with last strength and will back to my car. Half hanging out of the sliding door I fell asleep and were found by natives who helped me and gave me something warm to drink.

Today - after having done several extraordinary things and being on my probably biggest adventure ever - I met those two guys. They are at the same point in life as I did - at the beginning, carrying the same desideratum inside of them, being filled by zest of action and wish to experience something.

Since one of them - blond hair and beard - looked a kind of like me then, specific thoughts arose. A part of me adopts the role as a viewer and looked back at the younger me and the more experienced me now. It was a synchronous look at the beginning and the present. It was bizarre and exceptionally at the same time.

After this "special" reunion, some of the photo shoots took place in pouring rain. Anyhow, we are in a good mood.

Matthias Jeschke

633b88a1cb1cc81c0c85457e7468f83e.jpg

1bc81a7b1d1887478b560762709e2847.jpg

BlueGerbil

October 6, 2008

Travelling also means to face new situations and to adjust to them – that is exactly what the expedition demanded from us in a democratic way today! The press conference – which has been prepared excellently by the Representation of the State of Hesse – turned out differently than planned. A national strike in Belgium caused a failure to appear on the part of the representatives of the press and also shut Belgium completely down. It is impressing to notice all the things that were not operating any longer – beginning with a non-speaking radio host as well as buses and train lines. Due to the restricted space in the Hessian State House of Representatives, we presented the banner exhibition along with our three Jeeps in the automobile museum – the only open available space. Besides the visitors of the museum we were also happy to welcome a delegation of the Representation of the State of Hesse as well as representatives of Chrysler Belgium.

Our vehicles were also the center of attention in front of the museum. We particularly liked a Romanian tour group which would have joined us right away. It was a very pleasant, open-minded meeting. After reaching Rotterdam in the evening, we had to stop at a doctor’s office because Falk – our cameraman – has hurt himself on his foot. Right after the treatment we continued our way to the Goethe Institute where they were anticipating our arrival.

But before the greeting, the creators of our Jeeps had to take care of the parking of the expedition vehicles first. Due to a very narrow driveway – only slightly wider than the vehicles themselves – and a constantly closing electric gate this proved to be a time-consuming undertaking. In the evening, the sincere greeting by the employees of the Goethe Institute compensated for all the effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior