Black Friday Ambo

bdog1

Adventurer
Bad connection? Volts drop to zero under a load. Guessing... Loose bat cable?

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

flightcancled

Explorer
It's possible. It is unseasonably warm today. I'm wondering if I will be back at square one when it cools down again. The batteries are a few years old, but going off the truck's title it had only driven 200 miles since 09 so they haven't been used at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flightcancled

Explorer
The batteries turned out to be quite dead and got replaced today. Finding out the hard way that spinning the battery selector clockwise will only give you one battery in "BOTH" really didn't help either! I also put together a chord for the shore power system so I can keep up my batteries while I have everything on to wire things in and sort out some quirky issues(no power in the box, reverse alarm cuts in and out, no power to the locks...)

Finally I used my time off and made a trip to pick up an old conversion van bench seat. It has two motors which slide it front and back and fold it out. The cushions and fabric are gross, as the frame has some rust, but I am hoping I can clean it up and tweak the mechanism a bit to make it fit my paper napkin plans.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Nice!!
Looks like a long wheelbase ambo.
Must be tons of room inside.

After studying ambo's like crazy for the past week, I'd say this is is a 158" wheelbase with probably a 169"L module/box--the tail aft of the rear wheel is longer than most. Will make for great room inside!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Called the now closed MedTec and there are no parts lists, manuals or diagrams available to help me replace the missing heater unit. Going to have to take a different direction. The box is so small I am really curious as to what was even in there in the first place. Could have just been a thermostat controlled fan heater.

Medtec is gone? That sucks, they seemed to make some very good looking modules! I'll scratch them off my list.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
pygytuhu.jpg

Anyone have a good idea for this spot? I can't come up with anything besides a pantry.

Also does anyone have an explanation for why my rig's batteries where dead a few weeks ago, but today they fired right up? I haven't touched them since I last drove it and they were so dead the volt meter flipped from full to dead when the turn signals blinked.

Are you going to have a potti anywhere? MegAmbo put his potti/privacy curtain in the LR there(you'd have to make that cabinet deeper) but I thought it was a good location and out of the way.

dave1014

Adventurer
Its a medtec? What model box? I might be able to help with the manual.

As to house batteries there arent any. Everythings run off the batteries under the hood and an inverter. Inverter should be in the drivers side compartment where the oxygen tank mount was in that truck or behind the drivers seat if the previous owner didnt pull it.

flightcancled

Explorer
I will be using this more or less every weekend, so while it would be a nice thing to have the potty would just be more hassle than it's worth.

Yup MedTec was bought out. There is still some service available for them, and really all the parts they use are from other companies. It's really not that prohibitive.

Today's headache: I have power on my circuit board in the back, but it's not getting to the interior systems. I have power to the fuses and whatnot, but I can't find a combination of switches to make the box come to life.

Here is a photo of the sticker telling me all I know about the box. Let me know how I can tell you more.

atehu3az.jpg

Found a source for most of the scene lights I will need so hopefully those arrive soon!

flightcancled

Explorer
Still banging my head against the walls in here!

I have power through my fuses, through/to the relays, but then nothing to the wires to my panel switches (illumination or signal).

For some reason the board is dead. The master is on, I tried the modular disconnect both ways, and I have been messing with a rear load switch.

Here is a shot of the board. Power just isn't making it off again to the wires leading to everything.

amyse5yp.jpg

Can anyone help?

dave1014

Adventurer
There should be a relay that trips coming off the module disconnect that brings power to the board

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

flightcancled

Explorer
I've flipped the switch and I can hear the relay flipping on the board but that's all the sign of life I get. I'll try swapping the relay and see if it's just not making the connection somehow.

I tried the shore power out today. The fluorescent lights came on and the outlets appear to be working. The switch even lit up for the lights. That seems to point at the issue being related to the modular disconnect also.

I started stripping down and prepping the frame of the conversion van bed I found. I'll build it back with a carpeted plywood frame sized for a 6ft long futon mattress. I went this route because of the electric folding and sliding which will let me save space. Who knows it might just class up the joint!

flightcancled

Explorer
Still haven't figured out the battery power to the box, but I have still been able to squeak out some headway elsewhere.

The bed is coming along. Before:
u5u3y9ug.jpg

And as it is now: The frame is stripped down and brushed to remove surface rust. Tomorrow I'll start on making the wood bed frame and fitting it over the wheel well.
5u6e5ezu.jpg

While I had the roof open to remove the grab rails and run power for the folding seat I came across this:
anyqyjut.jpg

As I was trying to process what I was seeing suddenly I realized I could see the moon.
me3a9a4y.jpg

After patching it last night I jumped on the roof today to see what happened.
pezyvabu.jpg

Apparently a radio mount got ripped out of the box somehow. Good thing I found this before more snow and rain got in! Who knows how long it's been like that.
I also realized that the roof is in bad need of a paint job.
6ydygyha.jpg

Before spring I'll be adding roof racks for kayaks, maybe I'll bed-line it around the same time.

java

Expedition Leader
Good catch on the hole!

I talked to the rhino loner guy we use for decks, he said they had done a few RV's, the whole thing.... But it was expensive! I ended up with using eternabond on all my seams.

flightcancled

Explorer
I don't really have "seams" everything is welded leaving nowhere for water to enter- Except for these stupid radio mounts! I am thinking of sealing the other two up, but I might want to use one for a cell phone booster later.

I was just going to find a white or tint-able bed liner as I will be on this roof very frequently to load and unload boats, often when wet. That way I'll have a durable surface that won't get slippery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles