Black Friday Ambo

hobietony

Explorer
Still banging my head against the walls in here!

I have power through my fuses, through/to the relays, but then nothing to the wires to my panel switches (illumination or signal).

For some reason the board is dead. The master is on, I tried the modular disconnect both ways, and I have been messing with a rear load switch.

Here is a shot of the board. Power just isn't making it off again to the wires leading to everything.

amyse5yp.jpg

Can anyone help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe your main coil? Mine needs to have the main coil 'flashed' to ground when the master switch is on - Maybe your coil assembly is on the lower right? One of the contacts on the coil should show 12v when the master is off (the yellow one in the pic below) when this is grounded, the coils should turn on and the board gets power. test it with a jumper to ground and bypass the switch, when flashed to ground, the coils should activate.

P9270004.jpg

I fought what sounds like a similar problem, starting on post 66 http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/63380-AmboVan-Restarted/page2

flightcancled

Explorer
Well I figured it out. It was the signal wire from the switch had a bad connection. Interestingly I don't have any complex solid state switch system, just a tiny little 20amp relay that controls all inside functions. Once I figured that out and saw it had power at the post but no signal I chased it back to the switch in the cab. Feel pretty stupid but hey "IT'S ALIVE!"

Now back to the bed: I was looking at how I am going to run a new wire to the passenger wheel well and came across this tucked in the ceiling:
vy4ymyva.jpg

The red wire is labeled Compartment Open 2. Not sure if this is for the built in door monitoring system or what, but the way it's double pulled I could use it to power the motors for my bed and save the massive headache of trying to thread a wire to the board.

gringorick

Adventurer
All my doors and compartments are wired with ground switches that flash a light when they are open. I would assume that is what that wire is for.

flightcancled

Explorer
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I am going to kill that system eventually to open up my front console so I chopped and looped the excess to get them out of my way. I went and picked up 10 gauge AC wire and used the suction line to pull it over and down to the passenger wheel well (a total nightmare). Power goes straight to the board from the seat. I'll make a control box for the seat which I will mount on the bottom instead of on the wall somewhere. Besides being easier this will let me build the bed to be more easily removed.
3asusuja.jpg

While pulling down half the ceiling to try and thread the wire through a tiny hole in the frame I removed the entire passenger side back to the backboard closet. It was so roomy I made the decision to leave them out.
5agyvepa.jpg
4y3u6a6u.jpg

So today I put everything back and rebuilt the wall.
heretyga.jpg

Although it seemed like an awesome idea in the beginning I have learned to absolutely hate fiberglass wallboard. Even if you cut it to the exact dimensions you want it sags and leaves gaps. I was hoping to hold it up with adhesive, but the sagging ruined that and cost me hours.

Abitibi

Explorer
Glad you finally found your wiring electrical issue, they can be a Royal pain!

I'm surprised you weren't impressed with the fiberglass panels. That's what I plan on using for mine. A good friend of mine uses it in his van without issues. I wonder if it has anything to do with how they are secured to the body?

Cheers
Mr. D

flightcancled

Explorer
I was so excited about them at first, but they are an unbelievable pain and 3x more expensive than simple tile board. If I could find the aluminum trim pieces that medtec used that it pops into it would be a different story because i could mount that and basically be done. The flexible plastic trim is awful though. I see wallboard mounted every day, but it wasn't until I picked it up that I realized it is like jelly. Expect to have to screw it in every 18 inches and you won't be disappointed I guess.

Although in thinking about it the way it bends I bet it's actually easier to mount in a curved van than in a flat ambo!

flightcancled

Explorer
Something came in the mail. Let there be light!!!

Floods and side flashers installed!
y7ete5ad.jpg

Finally something that went easily!

And then I stripped the awful plate off the back. I had no idea what to expect under here.
atubabyp.jpg

Ok so two more standard size holes (two sets of wires but not sure what they are for yet.) A medium round hole for a air intake. (That explains what the air vent in the back of the box is.) And a few holes for the loading light/ light bar up top. Could be better, but could be way worse!

flightcancled

Explorer
u2abupeb.jpg

Work has been nuts, but I did manage to find time to salvage part of the diamond plate to cover all the holes from the light bar and cap the air vent intake and get the rear lights wired for both the rear light bar circuit and the rear load lights.

flightcancled

Explorer
Removed the diamond plate from the front this morning to try and get the 3 hidden slots filled before work.
zanava4e.jpg

unyqydaq.jpg

nyjyzy3y.jpg

Wow! Someone cut the whole thing apart to get the plate to sit flush. I'm devastated. Those slots were a big part of why I picked this ambo. I was hoping to be able to use the space to conceal two HIDs and an LED bar. Now I am back to the drawing board. I was so furious I put the plate back up without adding silicone so I'll have to get back up there again tomorrow.

This did free up 3 lights and some time so I put the front flashers in and removed and plugged the old jungle gym mirror hangers before the snow got too bad.

9ypuma5a.jpg

egenatet.jpg

Last edited:

flightcancled

Explorer
Started working on getting the bed in place and articulating today. The power draw is pretty substantial when the motors start so I put it on the heater/AC circuit. (Of course) The wiring harness seems to have some crushed spot or other short in the signal wires I have to sort out. One switch is only activating one direction on the wrong motor. I wasn't expecting this when I manually cycled the motors earlier.

yqy6ehyb.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'm curious how you were going to use the front exterior 3-light panel for the 2 HID's and light bar?

flightcancled

Explorer
There is a deep area behind those lights where I could mount lights above the headliner. Then i could protect them and make them blend in using a clear lens and a rubber seal. Basically they would look like more flashers, but actually be my offroad setup.

flightcancled

Explorer
Isolated my wiring issue to a corroded relay and started mocking up a sliding platform for the bed while I am waiting for a replacement. I was trying to get away without having to lift a finger to roll out the bed, but oh well. Hopefully this is still going to be pretty sweet.

Here's the bed extended and propped in place:
7ata6yje.jpg

e7yvareg.jpg

Luckily I didn't spend New Years making a bonfire and still had the shelf that came out of the bench. It is almost exactly the correct height and length for the job. Last night I made some quick cuts and removed the trim and top section. Hopefully tonight will be fitting and trimming. I'll match the carpet on the top and use leftover wallboard on the bottom to help it slide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles