Speakers - Flush Mounted, Outdoor, Exterior

cynical42

I am converting an ambulance and want to replace two of the passenger side load lights with a couple of outdoor speakers. I would prefer flush mount. Has anyone done this on an RV or other vehicle that can direct me to a product? I can find speakers, waterproof and all easy enough. What I can't find is what do you do when they fill with dust, insects and other road grime. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do they come with covers that will stay on or do I have to make my own to seal out the crude? I did a search on this forum, but if I missed a previous conversation could you please point me in that direction?

Thanks

robert

Expedition Leader
One of my friends has a wake boarding/ski boat with mounted waterproof speakers- he just hoses them off when he's washing the boat. I think they're Alpine speakers.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Not sure what brand/model he's used but Bob Brown (http://aspenxtrails.com/) mounts exterior speakers and lights on his off road tear drop trailers just like you're thinking.
My only recommendation would be to mount them on the sides and at least halfway up. That way you're avoiding impact from bugs and debris (in a forward-facing location)
or excessive grit/grime buildup (from a rear panel or low side panel location).
beginningoffinalwrapuptrimdriprailswiring005.jpg~original

I'm sure the protective grilles are securely held in place by the mounting screws, but there's no way you can really seal off the front of the speaker and still be able to hear them well.
I know there's a coating to protect the paper cones like the kind you would see in cheap OEM automotive or vintage hi-fi speakers (http://www.parts-express.com/wet-look-4-oz-black--340-513)...
WetLooksmall_zps913fe303.jpg~original

...but any good pair of 'marine' speakers would already be made of rather weather resistant materials like a polypropylene cone with rubber (or coated) surround and have a mouting
gasket on the backside to keep water out. Some ideas - http://www.crutchfield.com/g_228350/Marine-Speakers-Tower-Systems.html?tp=61755
MarineSpeakers_zps19786ba8.jpg~original

Last edited:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
The problem is with "Marine" speakers are they are simply car product painted white; JL Audio Marine is the only product engineered from the ground-up for the Marine environment.

java

Expedition Leader
The problem is with "Marine" speakers are they are simply car product painted white; JL Audio Marine is the only product engineered from the ground-up for the Marine environment.

Not sure that's completely true.... I have a set of marine speakers that differ from any ive put in a car. Firerglass-y cones.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Not sure that's completely true.... I have a set of marine speakers that differ from any ive put in a car. Firerglass-y cones.

Sorry, it's car product painted white with a little rubber stopper to protect the pole piece. I'm not aware of fiberglass cones on current product out there. JL Marine was initially built for MasterCraft Boats and was exclusive to this very high end line of wake board boats for the first two years.

It's the best out there, engineered exclusively for the Marine environment. If you won't use JL, just buy whatever is cheapest since there isn't any difference in the Chinese manufacture and you'll be replacing them often as the UV resistance in non-existent. JL Marine is built in the USA. I was a technical director of the company for many years.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I've seen speakers mounted behind these small 'boat access/inspection hatches', (kayaks use them also)
I thought they look was pretty cool, very rugged and you can use 'regular speakers' since the hatches are water/dust/bug/grime proof
-
-

H1.jpgH2.jpgH3.jpg
external speaker.jpg

Last edited:

cynical42

good idea

that is a good idea and thanks all for the input. the ambulance has four 7x9 exterior lights at the top of each side box w/ 2 near the front and 2 near back. two i'll keep 2 as lights and two i will repurpose the holes for speakers. i will look into those covers to be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles