KLX 250sf or KLR650

natvet

Observer
I am new to motorcycles. I have signed up for the safety course and I am looking at purchasing my first ride. I am 6' tall 190#. I will be riding a mixture of gravel roads/jeep trails and back country roads. I found an 09 KLX 250 SF supermoto with 1100 miles and a 06 KLR 650 with 10k miles. They are the same price. Which bike would be the best buy? thanks for your opinions.
Nathan

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
My short answer is to buy the bike you like more. Seriously, they're both real good bikes and you can't really go wrong with either.

The KLR will be better on the highway. The 250 will probably be much more fun on tight twisty roads. Probably pretty even on mild dirt roads where the KLR's weight won't be much of a penalty and the KLX's tires may or may not. I'm not sure the exact range, but would guess the KLR gets over 250 miles whereas the KLX doesn't get much past 100 miles. Much more aftermarket for the KLR. Really, the KLR is a true "adventure bike" - good range, can handle a variety of terrain, but certainly isn't dirt bike. The KLX in is closer to a dirt bike, but with the SM setup, it really is a backroad burner.

Personally, I would get the KLX for the fun factor and the lighter weight, but I'm only 5'8". They also make a kit to bump it out to 351cc. But the KLR is probably the more versatile bike. It probably will be easier to sell if and when you decide you want to get a different bike.

But really, if both have been taken care of, you can't really go wrong.

natvet

Observer
Great advice. Thanks for your explanation. Leaning toward the 250. It seems a little easier to handle,since I am just learning.

java

Expedition Leader
I have the kx250f, the full factory race dirtbike version of the 250. Its a metric butt ton of fun in the woods. Rode the 250SF not the same motor :( but still fun. Not a ton of power though. If i was going for full adv bike id do the KLR, but if you commuting or using it for anything other than trip the SF is a lot of fun. Im hoping to plate my KXF soon :)

CodyY

Explorer
Texicans need to be able to hit the highway. And the 250 motard will not cut it. The KLR will be the way to go. If you were commuting around Austin on surface streets, the 'Tard would be the way to go. But you need to get on that KLR and run out to Big Bend.

I went from the 640 Adventure to the 950 Adventure just because of this (however, I am an experienced rider and big/strong enough to handle the big bike).

imperiaus

Привет! Я тоже новичек в мото но за один сезон сменил уже два мотоцикла. И скажу так мой вес 100 килограмм и рост 180. У меня honda xr 250 baja. 250 сс мне хватает более чем. Так как за один день катания я падаю 5 раз как минимум. я не слабый человек но уже трудно поднимать мотоцикл после 5 раза падения. 650 сс это мотоциклы тяжелые и предназначены для длинного путешествия. они много расходуют и тяжелые и на трудных трассах очень хорошо ведут себя 250 сс если интересно о чем я тут написал посмотрите мое видео https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUv3wUtzSuo

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Don't know if you have purchased yet. Used to have a 09 KLX250SF, great bike around town and did well offroad (the S model has better offroad suspension). The 250 does ok on the state highways but can't keep up on the interstate out here. Only other concern with the 250 is the seat, it's a torture device on longer trips. Rode from Midland to Houston, cut through Austin and as many back roads as I could find along the way (2 day ride each way).

If you're still searching check out the KLX650, either the R or C version. Last imported in the US in 95, bike is the same weight as the 250sf but with over twice the power and handles much better than the KLR. Very powerful bike, I don't recommend this bike to a beginner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior