'07 FG 140 air suspension questions

ericvs

Alright you Fuso masters, I have one for you.

I am helping a friend design a FG with a custom hard sided pop top camper. All is going well (design is looking pretty cool actually) except we need the overall height of the vehicle to be under 90" (7'-6"). This is due to his location in the world and the height limit on the ferry system he uses every day or so (Wa. state). The FEs are just under this height (another friend has an FE), but the FGs appear to be a bit higher.

The truck doesn't have to remain under that height, just when loading onto the ferry. I mention this as we were thinking maybe an air suspension so he could raise and lower the truck as needed. Maybe a FE converted to 4x4 would be better? (or maybe a different direction all together)

Based on my research, it seems like we will have to have about 8" of drop. Is there anywhere else we could make up height? shorter cab mounts? anything?

Maybe this is crazy, maybe it is the least crazy thing I have ever thought. He will not be doing any heavy wheeling, and 4x4 would mostly be for snow and fire roads.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
How about this on an FE: http://www.eztracaxle.com

From utility trucks to emergency vehicles, EZ Trac is designed to give you the drivability and confidence you need to get the job done when you have to go off road. EZ Trac allows you to cost-efficiently upgrade to on-demand all-wheel drive without the need to add drive lines, transfer cases or raise chassis height.

EZ Trac is the first commercially available, steerable hydraulic drive assist system to simplify and overcome traction and mobility issues without sacrificing ride quality, safety and control.

axle.jpg

ericvs

Interesting. I like it. Any one have any experience with these? They don't have the Mitz listed.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Alright you Fuso masters, I have one for you.
Based on my research, it seems like we will have to have about 8" of drop. Is there anywhere else we could make up height? shorter cab mounts? anything?
Maybe this is crazy, maybe it is the least crazy thing I have ever thought. He will not be doing any heavy wheeling, and 4x4 would mostly be for snow and fire roads.

Not a 'Fuso Master', but the measurements on my FG are <8.0" from the axle pad to the frame in the front and <5.0" from the axle pad to the frame in the rear. I'm guess his would be the same.
I don't see an easy way to get an 8" drop with that little of space, even going to smaller diameter tires+mods ??
-
Do you have any good hotrod shops in town? Maybe an old school chopped top cab? :sombrero:
choppedFG.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
All is going well (design is looking pretty cool actually) except we need the overall height of the vehicle to be under 90" (7'-6").
Good luck with that...
The top of my FG84 cab is more than a foot higher than this "maximum height".

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Mog what year is your FG and nice photochop, Ericvs you might fit in there!j
Mine is a 2002 and is 96" to the top of the roof (not the clearance lights). But it has 37" tires. My stock tires were 31.5", so I'd guess -2.75" or 93.25" high with stock wheels/tires.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
My experience with airbags, is if you are using it in conjunction with standard springs, over the full range that airbags work (5psi-100psi), you are looking at having an adjustment of only a few inches.
Even if you move to an airbag only setup, the best bags will have a travel limitation of about 8" overall, and that is your full working range (i.e. when you pump them up to the full height, you have no suspension droop)

jhrodd

Adventurer
My FE (without the camper) rides the WA Ferries at the automobile rate but why would he be taking the Fuso on the ferry every day or so? It's not a great commuter vehicle. If you took the ferry say 10 times a year the $13.30 surcharge (Puget Sound routes) wouldn't add up to much. The surcharge is a lot more in the San Juans, of course but commuting via Fuso there is even more unfathomable.

ericvs

My FE (without the camper) rides the WA Ferries at the automobile rate but why would he be taking the Fuso on the ferry every day or so? It's not a great commuter vehicle. If you took the ferry say 10 times a year the $13.30 surcharge (Puget Sound routes) wouldn't add up to much. The surcharge is a lot more in the San Juans, of course but commuting via Fuso there is even more unfathomable.
It will be in the San Juans most of the time, so the surcharge does become a factor. Not a daily commuter, but frequently enough that it will make a difference. The FE is the right height, FG just a bit taller. I wonder how much taller a 4x4 converted FE would be than the standard height FE?

jhrodd

Adventurer
Well, you only pay one way in the San Juans, so it still works out to about $22 each way for the over height. It would take a lot of Ferry rides to pay for the conversion or modification.

ericvs

True, but if we just look at the cost of the overheight fees taking 2 ferry trips per week (approx avg.) is $4576/year. that is a lot of scratch.

We will be having discussions over beers tonight. Thanks for all the feedback.

jhrodd

Adventurer
Wow, a hundred Ferry trips a year is a lot. He might as well just buy a landing craft. That's how I got my FC off of Waldron Island :

FC170-1.jpg

fc170-2.jpg

ericvs

sweet! Yea, a landing craft would be sick, but I think the fuel prices would be prohibitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior