Kicking around an idea for APRS.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Thanks for this thread. I ordered the mobilinkd to give it a shot! I'll do my best to provide feedback after some seat time.

@chris snell - That is some great work you put together there! Great idea on the thermocouple trigger. Just to clarify, it triggers on temp change or just provides that additional data on a set trigger frequency?

uli2000

Adventurer
The Mobilinkd has a huge advantage over something that just beacons your location. the Mobilinkd can decode received packets and plot them on the Android device maps. That's huge! Some guys are shelling out $600 for an AVMAP GPS that does the same thing. Very cool! Thanks for the heads up.

I think another nice thing about it is that you can download offline maps for APRSdroid as well, so you can use a cheap android tablet or even a older cell phone that doesnt have service on it. You can even download the app for free on the developers website. It doesnt update automatically like the market version ($5), but I figured buying the market version was a cheap way to support the developer.

psykokid

Explorer
Exactly! I already use an android tablet for navigation off road with back country navigator and pdf maps so it's in the truck already. Since it's already in the truck might as well make use of it. The mobilinkd solution is even better than what i had originally thought of implementing since its an actual TNC vs just using audio over bluetooth. With an extra baofeng uv-5R, extended battery, mobilinkd controller, cable and a cheap 2M magmount antenna I'd probably be able to implement it for around $120-$130 all in.

JimBiram

Adventurer
I got the Mobilinkd aprs this week and have played with it for a few days. The Aprsdroid software is fairly essy to set up but you do need to get a ApRS-IS Passcode number that gives access to the Aprs system. I have mine attached to an exta Wouxun uv3d radio and wss able to get up and running right away. I have several complaints about the software:

1. The distances are all in KM and cannot be changed to Miles.
2. It comes with google maps which requires wifi access to see. If you go to the developers website there is a verdion of software from August that will read a map file in the main sd card folder. However you have to figure out how to find a map to download and then actually download to the right place. I was able after two hours of fiddling, I was able to down load the Calif map from openmapproject and it works pretty well.
3. There is no way to change size of icon on the map screen but you can change the icon. Again not good documentation.

For the price it works very well but it gets direction as to duration and gets gps location from the tablet too. It will not work with Ipad or iphone due to way apple handles bluetooth.

I was also able to get it to work with the Digitracker software which is supposed to work with the Tinytracker device. It uses Open maps which needs wifi to view. Incidently, the APRS-IS passcode worked with that app too. Sticking with APRSdroid for now. My Ssmsung Tab 3 works well with the XGPS150 bluetooth gps and feeds the Mobilinkd device perfectly and accurately. I'll be glad to share more as I learn more.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 4

Yuccahead

Adventurer
I received and played with a mobilink this weekend as well -- hooked up to a Baofeng UV-5R+ and Nexus 7. I got it at least receiving APRS info though I'm not sure I my position was getting out to the local digi-peater. The cached map issue hit me about 10 minutes into testing and I decided I would have to head home to remind myself how to cache Google maps info. I did that but didn't retest to see if that cache carried into the ARPS Droid app. I may try that on the way to work tomorrow.

JimBiram

Adventurer
I found caching google maps to be a pain. Once I figured out how to download the open map for CA and installing the right aprsdroid app, it works great with a saved map. I think I need to write a tutorial as the instructions are hard to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuccahead

Adventurer
I couldn't get the caching to work in my 10 minutes of trying. A tutorial on using other maps would be great for me. I wouldn't know where to begin that part though I should be able to get a map into the right format. Maps I kinda know. Apps I haven't messed with. I figured out why I wasn't hitting the local digi-peater. Seems the problem was my inability to comprehend directions. I had the switch on the Mobilink in the wrong position.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The APRS e-mail method DaveinDenver mentioned is a great way to communicate with the unlicensed. I played around with it last fall and was amazed from where I could get e-mails out. Camped in a valley next to a river, my messages bounced through about 3 mountaintop digis into an I-gate and got through just fine with an HT. A friend and I took a netbook and APRS HT on mountain bikes, stopped in the middle of a pine forest and sent his wife some e-mails. You can't get anything back, but it's a great way to get messages out from just about anywhere.

My mobile APRS is via a Fox Trak kit ($20). It's a fun little soldering project that turns into a pretty capable tracker. I just made some cables for it to go between an HT and Garmin eTrex I already had.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Played with mine on a recent trip to Washington state. I have the moblink tied to a Wouxun KGUV2D. It showed transmitting and my location on the map once. Checking APRS.fi I only see one time that I checked in using wifi :(

I have not been using an external antenna. That will help if using it in the vehicle for sure, however, my testing was done outside walking and with it sitting on top of the truck while parked.
It did show my location on the phone when I sent out a shot. Curious that it did not show up when I checked later. I did order and external antenna for further testing. Not enough time with it to say yea or nay at this point.
A quick test from the kitchen just now hit the cinnabar repeater and that did show up. More play time needed.

The MicroTrak performed perfectly as usual.

cactusjk

Explorer
I am seriously thinking about the MicroTrak but might also order the Moblinkd to check it out!

KISS

I too thought about all the bells and whistles that can be APRS. In the end, I went with the MicroTrak RTG.
mt-rtg-3.200.jpg

Turn key installation $220. Easily moved from vehicle to vehicle, however it is usually just forgotten and does its thing in the Avalanche. Turn the key on and it works. Get home, hit the maps, and see EVERYWHERE we have been.

flake.jpg

Rides under the back seat where I installed an ignition hot power port. You can just see it under the gold dune flag poles in this picture.
molle.JPG

The cell phone and 2m offer enough communication options for us right now. APRS is way down the list. Maybe if the cell was gone, I MIGHT consider using text messages via APRS? For now I am at my "happy place".

I would suggest getting APRS going , now. Don't wait and speculate. Keep It Simple...

EDIT: I looked a little closer at the Moblinkd option. It does look pretty cool. Worth playing with for sure. All together $72 (cable, TNC, app) add a radio to that ($50 cheapie) and you are in under $150. It will not function independent of the Android OS. Not a stand alone unit in that sense. Still looks like fun and worth some testing. I have several little Wouxun radios around and this might be a good thing to try with one of those? Right now my gut says the MicroTrak RTG is a better option for a KISS vehicle APRS solution.

uli2000

Adventurer
I havent ordered mine yet, so I cant say for sure, but those having trouble only sending packets over wifi, did you change the packet protocol from TCP/IP in the settings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste