Thoughts on Dometic Drawer Refrigerator

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Interesting idea! Nice way to use space, too.

I've been running a Dometic for about a year and a half, and I'm pretty happy with it, except for the small size (mine is an 18l size.) Build quality seems to be good but be aware that the Dometics are known to be "finicky" about power draw. Mine would not work reliably when plugged into the rear power outlet on my 4runner, although it seems to work fine when plugged into the front (my guess is that the current drop caused by either the wiring to the rear plug or the rear plug itself is enough to trigger the Dometic's "safety" mechanism and shut the fridge compressor off.)

Only thing I'd be concerned about is ventilation, as the back of a fridge like that can get hot.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I was looking at those too, to fit under my sleeping platform. Ultimately though, I just went with an Engel MR040 as I think it will be more versatile, such as for uses outside the truck.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The drawer type fridges are not as efficient as a chest type - each time it is opened all of the cold air falls out and warm air circulates around the contents causing it to warm up.

Also - I don't think it would be as good from a capacity perspective - having to keep clearance from the sides to slide in and out would reduce how much you can cram in there.

Being able to pull out the frig and plug it in to an AC outlet when at a motel or friends house is a nice option with the chest type fridges. Also nice when needing to clean it out too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz