My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper

MYTACO

Adventurer
Above photos is the fabric pattern, the mis-matched paint sent to cover the unpainted areas, the new trailer, and a counter top photo I forgot to add. Of course I needed to add one with the awning out, too.

MYTACO

Adventurer
if i spent what you spent on a "custom" ordered camper and i ended up
with what was passed off to you i sure would not let them brush you off the
way you said they did.
with your pictures to back you up i do not doubt your story.

but i am surprised that you made a final payment before inspection.

my last custom built truck was a Provan "Bengal"4x4 model built to my specs.
factory did not ask for final payment until rig was inspected and any details
fixed,nothing had to be fixed! and i am picky.

nice complete write up of you experience.

Les,lqhikers

Unfortunately, final payment was required a week before pick up. I have contacted the Rob and Cari several times, and while they've responded…it didn't end up really helping. I know they frequent this forum some, so am interested in how they will respond to my review.

MYTACO

Adventurer
I was headed down the same road with Phoenix but got cold feet at the last minute and cancelled my deposit. Just a bad gut feelin' I reckon.

I went with Hallmark instead. In fact ... workin' my way West right now thru the snow and ice to take deli'vry Tuesday.

We'll see how it works out.

Just checked out the Hallmarks…guess I should've done more research…or found a review like mine. I like the top of the Phoenix better, but the inside options seem better on the hallmark. Let me know how yours works out!

Super Doody

Explorer
Hmasten,

This is totally unfortunate.Have you checked out WTW?

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/

Almost every pro and con of every camper and feature has been discussed in this form. All Terrain and Four Wheel Campers are the best pop up campers period! This is not the first time build quality has been an issue with Phoenix campers. Some of your issues can be resolved but based on the priced you paid, everything should've been 100% perfect.

Jim

UHAULER

Explorer
Too bad it didn't work out as you expected. It sounds like a combination of Phoenix Campers doing some this wrong any you making some poor choices.

I can understand you being upset with Phoenix for the build quality but as far as lack of space and location of things being in the wrong place, maybe you should have looked into a bigger truck and camper combo. It always amazes me how people want to cram so much stuff on a mini or mid size truck.

MYTACO

Adventurer
Hmasten,

This is totally unfortunate.Have you checked out WTW?

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/

Almost every pro and con of every camper and feature has been discussed in this form. All Terrain and Four Wheel Campers are the best pop up campers period! This is not the first time build quality has been an issue with Phoenix campers. Some of your issues can be resolved but based on the priced you paid, everything should've been 100% perfect.

Jim

I did check the WTW site…no one ever really provided an in detail run through like mine. I wish they had. For the most part, I am still very satisfied with our camper. The leak and paint were the only big complaints.

MYTACO

Adventurer
Too bad it didn't work out as you expected. It sounds like a combination of Phoenix Campers doing some this wrong any you making some poor choices.

I can understand you being upset with Phoenix for the build quality but as far as lack of space and location of things being in the wrong place, maybe you should have looked into a bigger truck and camper combo. It always amazes me how people want to cram so much stuff on a mini or mid size truck.

To be clear, I am not upset about the lack of space. I knew that would be an issue going in with a Tacoma. In fact, I was amazed at what Phoenix could get into a camper. As stated previously, we really only sleep in there on most trips. I prefer a smaller, more mobile truck. Had enough of the Hummers, MRAPs and heavy gas eaters in the Army. When I go big--if I do--it will still only be to a class B RV.

With the camper and Wells Cargo trailer, we are still getting 16 MPG with a 4x4. I am very happy about that!

As far as poor choices…you got me there. I wish I had some experience to remake some of those decisions again. Guaranteed, I do now--and that is why I am offering up my lessons learned.

UHAULER

Explorer
Hopefully you can get the major issues fixed. At least you are using it and enjoying yourselves, thats the most important thing.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Unfortunately, final payment was required a week before pick up. I have contacted the Rob and Cari several times, and while they've responded…it didn't end up really helping. I know they frequent this forum some, so am interested in how they will respond to my review.
Interesting about the payment. At FWC it was 10% to place the order with balance due at pickup with a certified check.

WASURF63

Adventurer
I learned an expensive, hard lesson with my new custom 2012 Phoenix Pop-Up (poor fit and finish inside/out) , but
it did look great from 50' away:p
Some people on here got a good one. Unfortunately I did not.

Last edited:

18seeds

Explorer
i can't believe after all these years they still have the same water issues. I've read about these issues for at least 8 years and have seen it in person on a number of used Phoenix campers.

Sorry about your situations. Sell it and move on.

rotti

Adventurer
There's no doubt that there is some long term stains--and I am not sure what to do about that yet. In the end, leaks are not covered by their warranty, and other than sending some information papers, don't expect much in the area of post-ownership assistance from the company.

Fit and finish is one thing but that leak looks like a flood. I would be concerned about hidden damage and mold.

On a brand new camper like that I would be livid to say the least. Personally, I would be at their doorstep demanding answers and satisfaction.
Lawyers are the last resort but.....and no warranty on LEAKS...WTH?

Sorry and thank you for your service.

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Good on you for posting this review. Frankly, I'd be pissed if it were my camper. And, if I were Phoenix, I'd be quite embarrassed over these issues. Mismatched cushions, a botched paint job and leaking roof!? Yikes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles