My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper

Mtn Mike

Observer
Wow, great thread. Thanks again for posting. I was excited for you when I started reading the thread and now I'm upset for you. It's hard to believe a company like this has managed to stay in business. On the plus side, your camper looks great! I hope you resolve the little issues that are apparently part of the "Pheonix Experience" :rolleyes: and enjoy the camper for years to come.

I'm in the research phase of purchasing a new truck/camper for work related travel. I really want a Tacoma , but I may go to the dark side and get a 1-ton. Keep up the good posts all.

Keyne

Adventurer
Thank you for posting the review. Too bad the experience has been so poor. For the cost of one of those I am surprised and disappointed with the post purchase support (e.g. regarding the fan "we just install"...wow). I always liked the custom camper route for being able to do the interior as I would like (e.g. removable stove and fridge, but built in plumbing). Sounds like in this price range FWC is the way to go. Also, I have heard that post purchase support from XP is very good but that is, IMO, a different price range than these campers.

Kowboy

Adventurer
All Terrain and Four Wheel Campers are the best pop up campers period!

"Best" for what? Based on what?

A broad, blanket statement such as this is either closed-minded ... or just simple-minded.

The "best" camper is one that meets both the owner's particular needs AND the owner's particular vehicle. There is no single manufacturer that can meet this criteria in all cases.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Yikes, my first post was after just looking at the pics.

The half shade off paint caught my eye immediately, thought it might be the lighting. I'm in the car business. My body shop usually wants a panel off the car to match the paint to, even a brand new car. Something like the gas tank flap or similar fits the bill. IMO there should have been more due diligence by the painter to match the color.

Any idea who does their paint work? I'd guess that it's subbed out, possibly to Maaco from the looks of it (mask and shoot, no dis assembly of anything). I might have been the one that talked about the stupid graphics that it seems EVERY RV manufacturer thinks look stylish...usually the colors don't match ANYTHING, start cutting doors and access panels out of them, removing any part of what might have been considered "stylish".

The leaks are unsatisfactory on any level. My 10 year old Sun-Lite is still leak free, and I beat the snot out of it for the 4 years I've had it. My window shades do have some small spotty mold stains. I put the lid down one time when there was still some condensation in it, didn't open it back up when I got home. I get ticked with myself every time I see it. Totally different material than yours, but I have found nothing that will clean the stains on mine (fuzzy felt backed vinyl).

It should would be interesting to hear the flip side of this story. I really do have hopes of replacing my current camper one of these days. I liked the idea that Phoenix could be customized, having reservations for sure if this is typical of their work/customer satisfaction.

Good luck with getting your problems resolved. Hopefully you'll get many years of enjoyment out of it regardless.

Just read the thread again. Be happy with your window rattler AC. I put a roof air on my Sun Lite. Supposedly it's rated for it, but I cringe every time I go down a rough road. One of these days I just know I'm going to find it laying in the floor and a new skylight in my roof! Hind sight being 20/20, I'd have go with the window unit.

Last edited:

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Yikes, my first post was after just looking at the pics.

The half shade off paint caught my eye immediately, thought it might be the lighting. I'm in the car business. My body shop usually wants a panel off the car to match the paint to, even a brand new car. Something like the gas tank flap or similar fits the bill. IMO there should have been more due diligence by the painter to match the color.

Any idea who does their paint work? I'd guess that it's subbed out, possibly to Maaco from the looks of it (mask and shoot, no dis assembly of anything). I might have been the one that talked about the stupid graphics that it seems EVERY RV manufacturer thinks look stylish...usually the colors don't match ANYTHING, start cutting doors and access panels out of them, removing any part of what might have been considered "stylish".

The leaks are unsatisfactory on any level. My 10 year old Sun-Lite is still leak free, and I beat the snot out of it for the 4 years I've had it. My window shades do have some small spotty mold stains. I put the lid down one time when there was still some condensation in it, didn't open it back up when I got home. I get ticked with myself every time I see it. Totally different material than yours, but I have found nothing that will clean the stains on mine (fuzzy felt backed vinyl).

It should would be interesting to hear the flip side of this story. I really do have hopes of replacing my current camper one of these days. I liked the idea that Phoenix could be customized, having reservations for sure if this is typical of their work/customer satisfaction.

Good luck with getting your problems resolved. Hopefully you'll get many years of enjoyment out of it regardless.
ATC also will customize. Read the thread on Wander the West where a customer is helping build their new camper.

Super Doody

Explorer
"Best" for what? Based on what?

A broad, blanket statement such as this is either closed-minded ... or just simple-minded.

The "best" camper is one that meets both the owner's particular needs AND the owner's particular vehicle. There is no single manufacturer that can meet this criteria in all cases.

Light weight, durability, price and customer service and satisfaction. Sounds pretty straight forward to me. Of course this MY opinion and I'm not asking you or anyone else to agree with it.

I read and researched for over 4 years before I got my FWC Eagle.

bill harr

Adventurer
Light weight, durability, price and customer service and satisfaction. Sounds pretty straight forward to me. Of course this MY opinion and I'm not asking you or anyone else to agree with it.

+1 No surprises with FWC or ATC. Both companies are run in a most ethical way.

MINO

Adventurer
Very good read. I was in the process of reviewing my 2013 Phoenix but had so much to say about it I gave up on it for the time being. Needless to say, I've had a similar experience with the craftsmanship and decisions. Cliffsnotes:

Useless roof rack due to the fantastic fan clearance
The cabover was too close to the roof. It would make hit not only off road but on some road dips as well. Phoenix fixed this by adding some spacers.
Rear entry handle ripped out of the wall on 2nd day.
One of the lift bars ripped out of the wall on it's 5th "lift". It's only held in with 2 #8 wood screws.
One of the spring loaded support bars came undone (rocketed more like). Caused by a loose allen key bolt.
The Wave 3 heater does almost nothing for heating the top bunk due to its design. Also, since it's in a high traffic area, a dust cover should be offered as an option.
Would prefer a cleaner way to pass solar wires through the roof than a giant glob of RV sealer. I've changed it to a Liquid Tight cord grip.
Would prefer that the Solar 10AWG wire were not reduced to 14AWG. (that's just me. 14awg is actually fine for the length used and 68w panel)
Roof not square and does not seat flush with the "front aero cap"
Sofa cushion "bumper/stopper" broke off
Door stopper punched through door at some point in the first week.

It amazes me that there are people going year round in their Phoenix campers and not mentioning issues.

HOWEVER
After all the research I did for a truck camper in my budget, I felt all the "craftsmanship" I saw was not up to par for my use. Be it a FWC, Hallmark, Lance, etc.
I saw them all as a canvas for me to work on and improve. So I went with Phoenix because they were the only manufacturer to build a closing tailgate camper and light weight, so that was perfect for me. If I didn't look at the camper as a "canvas" I'd be pissed about the build quality. Not everyone buys a newly built product thinking "I'm going to change a lot of this". Rob and Cari have been very accommodating with all my questions as I tear into my camper and upgrade it thus far.

Aside from the issues, here's what I've experienced and made changes to:
2 People and the Catalytic creates a lot of condensation in any pop-up. Keep a chamois handy and look into a Eva-Dry dehumidifier with 12v plug
In fact, I've installed a 12v bunk warming pad to reduce the need for the wave heater. (although your water damage looks worse than typical condensation)
Bigger Battery - Full River DC215. About the same footprint, just taller than the 105 mine came with.
Additional Unisolar 68w panel (which is a brand that is no longer in business but can still be found for much cheaper than Phoenix sells them for)
Speaking of solar, I got rid of that dinky 10A controller for something that has more potential and tells me actual Amps and Voltage
Got rid of #8 screws for the lift bars. I drilled right through the camper walls with fender washers and cap nuts.
Added more 12v receptacles under the bunk.
Added a marine deck plate to the 20gal tank. Easier to inspect and clean out sediment.
Added an in-line water strainer pre water pump.
Reinforced doorstop plunger

Even with all the issues, I've been very happy with my camper.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

Are the loaded Grandby's really all that light? I've read quite a few accounts of them coming in at 1500-1600# when outfitted.

W

Wandering Sagebrush

Are the loaded Grandby's really all that light? I've read quite a few accounts of them coming in at 1500-1600# when outfitted.

That's about the weight I am planning on with my soon to be delivered Granby. Between the options I've chosen, water and some gear, that seems pretty nice. It will be sitting on a F250 7.3L long bed. What does your NorthStar weigh?

Light? You bet it is! My Caribou hard side is 3,300 dry.

Last edited:

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
That's about the weight I am planning on with my soon to be delivered Granby. Between the options I've chosen, water and some gear, that seems pretty nice. It will be sitting on a F250 7.3L long bed. What does your NorthStar weigh?

Light? You bet it is! My Caribou hard side is 3,300 dry.
My Grandby dry is 1,435 lbs and it's pretty loaded.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Wow...that's a lot of BIG issues. Sorry to the OP and others that have had similar experiences with something so expensive. It would have been so depressing to see that they didn't get the cabinet color or fabric color right...then to see the color mis-match. I think I would've raised hell and refused delivery at that point (then gone into the corner and cried a little) but everyone makes the decision that suits them best. I appreciate that. Just sucks that you keep getting kicked in the gut with this. I really appreciate your honesty and willingness to document all of this.

BillTex

Adventurer
To be clear, I am not upset about the lack of space. I knew that would be an issue going in with a Tacoma. In fact, I was amazed at what Phoenix could get into a camper. As stated previously, we really only sleep in there on most trips. I prefer a smaller, more mobile truck. Had enough of the Hummers, MRAPs and heavy gas eaters in the Army. When I go big--if I do--it will still only be to a class B RV.

With the camper and Wells Cargo trailer, we are still getting 16 MPG with a 4x4. I am very happy about that!

As far as poor choices…you got me there. I wish I had some experience to remake some of those decisions again. Guaranteed, I do now--and that is why I am offering up my lessons learned.

First-thank you for your service. Your travels are well deserved...I hope this all shakes out.

16 mpg...we get that all day long with our rig...and storage space...and living space are a non issue. We are 3
+ dog and we have plenty of room, sometimes our Son brings a buddy or 2 along as well.
I know you keep mentioning a B someday...but why not a full size TC?
FWIW, we spent about what you did (a little less..) for a full size, 4 season camper, and we have had no quality control issues.
Good luck getting a B that is 4wd for anywhere near what a truck and TC cost...and then you wouldn't have a truck.

I really do hope the Mfr steps up and addresses the quality issues and you are free to enjoy stress free travel going forward-you deserve it.If you do decide to move on...don't discount full size TC's...they rock!

Good luck...if we ever meet on the open road-the beers on me.

Bill

18seeds

Explorer
There was a long post on here regarding his review. He got attacked pretty bad for his opinion.

You will see a lot of Phoenix owners hold back on their true feeling on the camper fearing it will negatively impact their resale. You will also see a good amount of "like new" Phoenix campers for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online