Coleman fuel question...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Since I'm contemplating a switch to Coleman Fueled cooking and lighting, I have a question:

I understand that running Regular Unleaded Gas (RUG) in lanterns or stoves designed for Coleman Fuel (CF) can damage the appliances, but is this primarily because of the additives that are in RUG?

Just wondering if there's any reason that CF could not serve as an emergency fuel source for a vehicle? I understand it doesn't make sense to carry lots of CF because last time I checked CF is ~ $10/gallon and gas is <$4.00.

But I was thinking that in an emergency situation where a gallon of gas could make the difference between a short drive and a long walk, would there be any negative effects of dumping a gallon of CF into your vehicle's gas tank?

AndrewP

Explorer
Plenty of people have done it, but I wouldn't make a practice of it. I think the octane of CF is low, and so your car might ping. Mixed into the residuals of your tank, it should be fine.

Going the other way, unleaded gasoline works fine in Coleman Fuel stoves and lanterns. It might shorten generator life a bit, but in a pinch, no problems. What I've done on trips is use CF only until it's gone, then use unleaded only as needed. Even longer trips like 2 weeks at a time, it is rare to run out of CF. It's a very space and BTU efficient fuel source. THe larger two burner and 3 burner stoves hold 3+ pints of fuel in the tank and that alone lasts through many meals.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
well as far as running coleman fuel in a vehicle I have done it like Andrew stated it will ping/knock really bad. but it did get me to a gas station. this was before the days of computers. on computer controlled vehicle's not sure what will happen because they will retard timing to stop the ping, well you can never retard it enough. as far as going to coleman fuel I switched to propane years ago because it was so much cheaper and the price gap has only gotten worse. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz