F150 overland build

Raul B

Explorer
A shot from this weekends trip

53a15608b38a74c5895f28b5af90c155.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I303

Liking your set up. When searching "overland F150" on Google it's the one that shows up the most. You've seem to try new things and swap out a lot. One thing is I can't find that front bumper. Seems to be a prototype if not custom job,

I have a 5.0 2015 XLT SC 4x4 with e lock. My previous was a 2014 Tacoma TRD 4D with e-lockers. Loved it except I have 2 school age kids still. My work truck is a 5.0 2014 XLT SC 4x4 and I love the room. It's also a all use, purpose vehicle and the inside room was hard not to pass up. I personally don't have a preference for a brand. They all have their good and bad but mostly all major brands are close. F150 seem to be the most popular on the road.

When we went to shop for one (dealer new) they pushed the 2.7 and 3.5 hard. I test drove them and yes, they have power. I saw the rated tow power on those are exaggerated and manufacturers know 99% will never tow that capacity. However one thing I know very well is that turbo systems will be the first major component to wear out or require maintenance. Ask any trucker out there. So a non-turbo 5.0 it is.

Other than a set of Rigid lights mine is still stock. At 23k miles it's been flawless. This week I'll be adding a 30" RDS grille and complete a set of rock lights to light up the ground. Not for visual effects but practical use. They don't add any weight or bulk for the size and getting a good visual of undercarriage and motor is important.

Next step is leveling/lift, so I'll see where I go. Next goes the tires. 285/70R17 om stock wheels. But I am looking at a UCA upgrade.

What I don't like:

3.31 gears
23 gal tank
White color

Solutions:
-The tank is definitely getting swapped out. I could care less if the DTE is accurate but I'm hearing that now they can be re-flashed. If I get the parts I can do it myself.
-Gears, maybe it's just me. Maybe the tranny can handle it. Maybe I'll just swap them out later to 3.73
-Either plasti dip, wrap, repaint, or don't care. Not important. Maybe throw a green stripe and make it look like a Border Patrol truck minus the DHS shield.

Raul B

Explorer
Liking your set up. When searching "overland F150" on Google it's the one that shows up the most. You've seem to try new things and swap out a lot. One thing is I can't find that front bumper. Seems to be a prototype if not custom job,

I have a 5.0 2015 XLT SC 4x4 with e lock. My previous was a 2014 Tacoma TRD 4D with e-lockers. Loved it except I have 2 school age kids still. My work truck is a 5.0 2014 XLT SC 4x4 and I love the room. It's also a all use, purpose vehicle and the inside room was hard not to pass up. I personally don't have a preference for a brand. They all have their good and bad but mostly all major brands are close. F150 seem to be the most popular on the road.

When we went to shop for one (dealer new) they pushed the 2.7 and 3.5 hard. I test drove them and yes, they have power. I saw the rated tow power on those are exaggerated and manufacturers know 99% will never tow that capacity. However one thing I know very well is that turbo systems will be the first major component to wear out or require maintenance. Ask any trucker out there. So a non-turbo 5.0 it is.

Other than a set of Rigid lights mine is still stock. At 23k miles it's been flawless. This week I'll be adding a 30" RDS grille and complete a set of rock lights to light up the ground. Not for visual effects but practical use. They don't add any weight or bulk for the size and getting a good visual of undercarriage and motor is important.

Next step is leveling/lift, so I'll see where I go. Next goes the tires. 285/70R17 om stock wheels. But I am looking at a UCA upgrade.

What I don't like:

3.31 gears
23 gal tank
White color

Solutions:
-The tank is definitely getting swapped out. I could care less if the DTE is accurate but I'm hearing that now they can be re-flashed. If I get the parts I can do it myself.
-Gears, maybe it's just me. Maybe the tranny can handle it. Maybe I'll just swap them out later to 3.73
-Either plasti dip, wrap, repaint, or don't care. Not important. Maybe throw a green stripe and make it look like a Border Patrol truck minus the DHS shield.

Thank you for the compliments... I do tend to change my mind a lot and get bored with the same setup (currently thinking of going back to a shell). I think your on the right track for mods. As far as the bumpers go.. The rear is a full on custom bumper but the front is a Mercenary Offroad bumper. they are built torder but they also require some cutting of the frame (at least on my year) to make the approach angle work.

Feel free to email me with any questions... its hard to stay active on all the forums: Xoutfitters1@gmail.com

-Raul

Stormhorns

The Presence
Rock sliders: Seeing that no one makes real rocksliders for my rig my only option is custom. Mercenary offroad already said he can make some but the cost is almost as much as the bumper.....

Raul, love the build, inspires me for what I want to do. Reading through it I found what you mentioned about rock sliders. Take a look here at Randy Ellis Designs. I found them when I was searching for my super duty and they have f150/raptor ones as well.

http://www.randyellisdesign.com/FordF150RaptorRockSlidersBodyArmor

four wheeler did an install/review on a raptor:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1303or-randy-ellis-designs-sleekster-rockers/

Hope this helps. I'll be staying tuned for updates.:bowdown:

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
Great build...just read through the entire thread! Love how you have the truck setup currently but that custom bed idea could be sick!

Raul B

Explorer
Raul, love the build, inspires me for what I want to do. Reading through it I found what you mentioned about rock sliders. Take a look here at Randy Ellis Designs. I found them when I was searching for my super duty and they have f150/raptor ones as well.

http://www.randyellisdesign.com/FordF150RaptorRockSlidersBodyArmor

four wheeler did an install/review on a raptor:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1303or-randy-ellis-designs-sleekster-rockers/

Hope this helps. I'll be staying tuned for updates.:bowdown:

Thanks for the info.... these were not available when I was first looking for some rock sliders. I'm going to give them a call once I'm ready for them....

Raul B

Explorer
Great build...just read through the entire thread! Love how you have the truck setup currently but that custom bed idea could be sick!

it would have been great... but after we factored everything in (especially cost) it was not worth moving forward with it. I have been debating on putting a shell back on the truck.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles