The Big Ugly

centexan

Observer
Well, due to the fact that my wife caught the flu, I wasn't able to go on the group camping trip. So instead of getting a good shakedown run of the big ugly full of people and gear, I took care of the wife. As the weekend progressed and the wife felt better, I got to do a little work on the suburban. I finally got to install some of the things I had been purchasing and putting away. First thing I did was change out the door locks (well one side). One of the bolts that holds on the door strap on the drivers side is just turning in the door so I wasn't able to get that one changed but I did do the passenger side. With the one that I changed out for the rear barn doors, I can now lock the big ugly up which gives me peace of mind considering eventually what will go in there. Once I got the door lock in and lubricated the lock, I moved on to the tablet mount. I ended up getting the Arkon TAB-FSM that typically mounts to the seat mount bolt. Since I have a bench seat (for now) I opted to use the flat mount to mount to the transmission hump next to the transfer case shifter. The reviews about it says that it is a little shaky going down the road. It is but not so bad that it's unbearable. I will be fabricating some kind of brace to help steady it. I put my Samsung 10.1 tablet in the cradle and fired up Back Country Navigator for the first time. It worked great! Last but not least was the Cobra CB. I got it from one of my good friends but it didn't come with mounting bracket, so I fabbed one up. I ran a power wire straight to the battery and loomed and zip tied it into place. Last thing I need to do is get a mount for my firestik and run the cable for it. Depending on how the wife feels I will be going on a camping trip this weekend and hopefully finally give the old girl a shake down run.

Attachments

• amazon order.jpg
    amazon order.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 16
  • cb parts.jpg
    cb parts.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 14
  • making a cb bracket.jpg
    making a cb bracket.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 14
  • tablet mounted.jpg
    tablet mounted.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 15
  • wire loom.jpg
    wire loom.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 14
  • cb install.jpg
    cb install.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 14

centexan

Observer
Finally got to take the Big Ugly out on a trip. Since my wife was sick for the group trip and I didn't go, I decided to take a trip this weekend to get away. I was able to get away to a state park close by and do a little camping plus a little work on the truck. My friends and I are trying to build up our group, so I wanted to get some content for the website and facebook. Here are some pics from some cooking segments I did. I also got the cb install done using just a mag mount antenna while I figure out what mount I'm going to use. Turns out the cb I installed has a bit of a wonky speaker but I can still use it. The weekend wasn't without some issue. On the way home, she just died. So I pulled off the road and called my cousin who lives in a nearby town (lucky me). Turns out the ignition module in the dizzy went out. Even luckier, he had one in his garage so we replaced it and she fired right up. The first night got down to 24 degrees and I slept in the back of the truck. With my Big Agnes sleeping pad and my bag, I was quit comfortable. The second night was a bust due to too many rowdy campers around me. I know there aren't many build up pics yet, but I figure this thread will be a combination of build-up and trip posts. I hope ya'll don't mind. It will always be a work in progress and if I waited till it was done until I used it I would never get to use it. So you'll get to see it warts and all! Thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

• samsung pictures 192.jpg
    samsung pictures 192.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 11
  • samsung pictures 194.jpg
    samsung pictures 194.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 12
  • samsung pictures 196.jpg
    samsung pictures 196.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 11
  • samsung pictures 199.jpg
    samsung pictures 199.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 11
  • samsung pictures 201.jpg
    samsung pictures 201.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 9
  • samsung pictures 202.jpg
    samsung pictures 202.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 9
  • samsung pictures 216.jpg
    samsung pictures 216.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 10
  • samsung pictures 218.jpg
    samsung pictures 218.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 9
  • samsung pictures 219.jpg
    samsung pictures 219.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 9
  • samsung pictures 223.jpg
    samsung pictures 223.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 9

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Looks great man! My wife and I visited Pedernales last year and love that area. We live in Southern CA, but all of her family is in North Texas. We planned on going back soon for an overnight camping trip. It's a beautiful place! Nice Burban! I love to see something old brought back to life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles