Talk me out of a 2014 Lance 825?

Cell Block 726

Observer
IMG_20131129_161307_474.jpgIMG_20130419_190613_206.jpg
Good info everyone. Well we are really happy with our 825. It does have tight quarters but better than a tent, box trailer or pickup bed for sleeping on our adventures, though we sleep just two. I personally like the idea of the lighter units on a 3/4 ton diesel especially when towing. I have traveled over dirt roads and won't deny it feels like everything is getting beaten up and it can be a slow go under 5mph at times but still enjoy having it for our uses. A friend of mine also got a 825 for his short box Cummins and likes it too! As said before in thread.. its all about maintenance on the equipment to keep it going.

Cell Block 726

Observer
Definitely tork lift (frame mounted) in my opinion.. although Lance recommends happijac.... just don't understand why!

And thank you!!!!

Last edited:

Saline

Adventurer
That's what they recommended here at the dealership as well. They said that the Torklift doesn't allow enough flex. Seems odd to me.

BillTex

Adventurer
Hj are bed mounted and flex with the bed which is better for off road
Tl are frame mounted and you will have to loosen buckles if wheeling

Hardcore wheelers may do better with hj

Bill

UHAULER

Explorer
I used torklift on the front and happijack bumper mounts on the rear. My reasoning is to have the front mounts more secure than the rear. The stock rear bumper will also flex or just loosen the rear when off roading. Also the torklift rear mounts hang down and stick out, not as big a deal in the front but you might catch the rear ones. I just bought my camper and have only used it once but the setup seems to work good so far.

Saline

Adventurer
1419039_10202151673726078_1726017845_o.jpg

Ok, so I didn't get talked out of it. Picked up the 2014 825 that we had been looking at for a pretty good deal.

Some of the things that lead me to go with the Lance for our frequent travels are:
1750lb dry weight
Aluminum frame and insulated composite walls
Double pane windows
30 gallon fresh water tank
Heated holding tanks
Queen size bed (north/south)
Interior and exterior shower

We also added a 135W solar panel and controller and a rear ladder and roof rack will be put on as soon as the parts come in.

Things that will be removed will be the TV antenna and microwave. Possibly the AC unit as well since we are off of the grid most of the time.

The truck is a 2002 F250 7.3L

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
If the rear ladder is not all aluminum. You might not want to have it put on. Our ladder started rusting and paint pealing days after we got it. Insist on an all aluminum ladder. They said ours was aluminum and would not rust. only the rungs were aluminum. The pipe is rusted steel.

Saline

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up. It appeared as though it was all aluminum looking at the rungs and tubes.

Saline

Adventurer
I have had very little time to feel it all out so to speak. I only drove it about 30 miles so far. The camper does not overwhelm the truck at all and it drives and rides very well. My F250 has the "Camper Package" (rear sway bar and overload leaf) so sway is minimal. The overloads are just barely touching the perches but since the truck has a leveling kit it appears as though the rearend is sagging. I am adding a full length leaf and having the overloads indexed to meet the perch sooner.
The camper seems well made and sturdy so far. I like the cabinetry better than our SMB had and there is more storage on the interior. It's a bit more plush than what i'm used to. I did like the fact that it only took me about 5 minutes to disconnect and drive out from underneath the camper.
We have a Death Valley/Saline Valley trip coming up in 2 weeks so I will put its through its paces.

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
I have had very little time to feel it all out so to speak. I only drove it about 30 miles so far. The camper does not overwhelm the truck at all and it drives and rides very well. My F250 has the "Camper Package" (rear sway bar and overload leaf) so sway is minimal. The overloads are just barely touching the perches but since the truck has a leveling kit it appears as though the rearend is sagging. I am adding a full length leaf and having the overloads indexed to meet the perch sooner.
The camper seems well made and sturdy so far. I like the cabinetry better than our SMB had and there is more storage on the interior. It's a bit more plush than what i'm used to. I did like the fact that it only took me about 5 minutes to disconnect and drive out from underneath the camper.
We have a Death Valley/Saline Valley trip coming up in 2 weeks so I will put its through its paces.

Hope you don't mind some more questions. What size tires and what gears are you running ? How are you engaging the overloads sooner ?

I have an 02 f350 that I switched the rear block with an f250 block but i'm thinking of putting the f350 block back and a leveling kit and going to 35's but i'm not sure how well it would be with 3.73 gears.

Saline

Adventurer
I'd put the 350 blocks back in. It should sit about right with that height. As far as engaging the overloads sooner a local spring shop here can index (bend) them up to make contact with less compression.
I'm running 35x12.50 17's with 3:73's and limited slip in the rear. The truck seems to do just fine with this combo. I imagine 4:10's would be better but the truck doesn't hunt for gears and does just fine.

Saline

Adventurer
Looks like good travels! This makes my 25th year going to that area.:sombrero:
Some pics of the interior.
photo-3.JPGphoto-1.jpgphoto-4.JPGphoto-2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles