Talk me out of a 2014 Lance 825?

Saline

Adventurer
Hello all,
So we're avid off the beaten path travelers and almost never stay in a campground. We spend most of our time on the backroads of Utah, Colorado, California, Nevada and Oregon. We sold the SMB about 6 months ago for various reasons and are now looking into slide in camper options. After a lengthly search for a reliable platform I recently purchased a 2002 F250 CC SB 4x4 with the 7.3L.
We have looked at FWC, Northstar, Phoenix, Hallmark and on a whim looked at a Lance yesterday. We had settled on a Hallmark Milner or Nepal after touring their factory in Denver.
We just happened to stop by and look at a Lance 825 here locally and were pretty impressed with the options, price, layout and quality.
So question is: Is it too big and heavy for off roading?
Think Lipincott rd in Saline Valley, Maze etc...

Last edited:
W

Wandering Sagebrush

I've got a 2000 Caribou (soon to be sold) that I would never take into country like that. Very top heavy.

We are taking delivery of our FWC Granby on 12/26. It's going to live on our 2000 F250 7.3L super cab. This, I will take into the back country.

LoRoad

Adventurer
Talking you out of a Lance would only invalidate what years of real world experience has taught me. I've owned four Lance campers over the years. Not unlike the story of the three bears, it took some porridge eating but we ended up with a perfect fit in this: 2008 model year 915 9'6" on a 2008 Dodge TurboD 4x4 with a bunch of extras on it. These campers are well built and I have yet to destroy one, although some might say I've tried.

If you're interested we are currently selling ours, it's in great shape and has been lovingly cared for. PM if interested. Why are we selling it? Because we're building this:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116121-I-ve-been-doing-a-little-design-work/page9

I'd say, depending on your skill level, you can take it wherever you want, including Schofield Pass, as I have. ;-)

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I would only try to talk you out of that model. We bought a similar Lance camper. After one trip with a total of three adults. We found that it has not floor space. three people can not stand up at one time. Add in winter boots and jackets, and you have no where to sit or stand. Along came the Lance 1040 or the little brother 830. The layout is similar to the Earthroamer. We have had ours 5 years and love it. When we visit other campers and notice their 6 square feet of floor space compared to our 33 feet, yes 40 inches wide by 11 foot long. 9 foot for the 830. Buy a Lance camper but people look at other models. first. When we went back to princess craft to trade back the 825, they only wanted to give me 1/2 of what I paid for it 4 months before. I bought the factory display 1040 in Dallas after a show. When I was talking to the new Lance dealer, He said that he could not give me more for the 825 then a new one cost him. So I bought the 1040 outright and sold the 825 for $2000 less then we bought it new. Check out the 830 or find a used 1040.

Saline

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

I forgot to add that whatever camper we choose is only going to be for two adults.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Saline,
Unlike the boys above, I am not a nay sayer. A 2002 Ford 250 w/7.3 motor is a winner. With only two adults, I don't see any reason not to buy the 825. I run a 1998 Lance Lite 165-s 8'6" SB truck camper, an older version of the 825 and have been to all the places you mentioned above with it. Capt. Eddie will not be coming along on the trips you and I go on. It's apples and oranges. If i needed space, I'd go with a big one like he he has. Coming up from the Lipincot lead mine to the Racetrack:

A narrow clearance on the White Rim Trail, Utah.

Coming down off Engineer Pass, CO. elev. just under 14K ft. elevation.

Moving across the wash toward Saline Valley:

On the Mojave Road:

It is the narrowest (86"),

least tall (6'4" inside), full service, hard side truck camper i could find at the time. It has everything two consenting adults need, just everything is small, diminutive, less. The biggest problem was the steep learning curve on how to equip and adjust all the hardware so it would not pull itself apart on twisty trails. I have beat the 'whee' out of this thing with a wooden frame and aluminum siding and it is still in one piece, albeit with some road rash. A lot of that has to do with pressure in the tires. On washboard, I air down to about 30/28 (on the super singles) playing with the pressure and drive on the wrong side of the road, right on the shoulder as I find the washboard is less aggregious.
What was the width of the 825? If it's wider than 86" I would at least look at the Lance 865, (or the long bed version). That is the updated version of what I run. Be sure to get the 4 season package if you buy new. There is a whole protocol on guides:

/tie down adjustment for situational awareness/bed mats/bed connections/weight distribution/storage solutions, and the like.
Part of the success, so far, has been the upgrading of the .75t. Dodge.
Two sets of secondaries (overload) springs above the regular pack.

Stable loads
Rancho 9K adjustatable shocks (or equivelent)
Duplex or super single rear tires/wheels
Here is a ditty i wrote about tie downs and the physics of a pickup box vs. a vs. a Truck Camper:
Let's look at the internal physics here. A pick up truck bed will twist (rack) with the four bolts holding it to the frame of the truck. This only becomes a problem if you have a TC in the bed and go off-road, as most TC's are built to resist flexing. Early on in my ongoing TC education i tore one of those four 3/8's inch bolts right thru the bracket. Hm? too much stress here. What to do? I used a thick fender washer and re installed the bolt. It has been fine.
What i learned was to allow the bed to flex but loosen the rear tie downs to limp in order to allow the box to lift at the rear, one side or the other, as the rearmost part of the frame has the most rack. In my assessment of the relative weight of my TC (which has a very long front overhang) front vs. rear I found most of the weight is on the front two jacks with maybe 20% on the rear. No, I have not scientifically weighed these, but just note how much resistance is on each MANUAL jack as i try to lift. So I keep the front tie down snug (not tight) and loosen the rears mightily to allow for lift. Push come to shove, it's kind of a Zen thing. I have been on some pretty tortuous roads lately using this system and so far, so good. The TC is not pulling itself apart. What I'm trying to do is take tension out of the picture. So how do you keep the box in the bed if it's not snugly tied down?
A combination of hardware including:

1. Sturdy tie downs with easily adjustable tension. My Happie Crappie tie downs are good enough as the fronts have a stiff spring in the bezel, and the rears tie to the bumper which has some flex, enough to need no internal spring; or so the engineers at Lance believe. But that set up is for flat, paved roads with an occasional pull off in the gravel to by some apricots.
2. Centering brackets. They actually transfer the stress from the tie downs to the base shear wall of the TC. If using the brackets you can actually loosen the tie downs. I use the Lance brackets, but there are some great home-made ones by fellows on here that I would much rather have.
3. A thin, fluted rubber bed mat. This helps further keep the TC from sliding, rocking or swaying from side to side. If the TC is too close to the roof of the cab, then build up a framework underneath but don't just use a thicker mat as the sway will return.
4. On the inside rear of a p.u. there are footman's loops to tie down cargo. I'm going to start using these with 1K pound ratchet straps to keep the TC from wanting to slide out the back when going up a very steep hill. By doing this I may be able to loosen the side tie downs a bit looser too. My bro John now used much heavier ratchet straps to tie down his OUTFITTER! after he found his frame was being racked by too much tension on his factory tie downs and he has a '99 long bed, 7.3, Ford pickup that does a lot of flexing.
One of the successes of my set up is that i have a Dodge hydro formed short bed frame, a stiffy, which gets not a lot of rack front to back as it's so short. I also have an 8 foot, 6 inch floor on my TC which hangs over the rear about 20 inches. That's 20 inches that are not being racked by the frame twisting.
There really is NO way to make a pickup bed into a three-point bed, like so many of the high bucks euro campers use. Going to a flatbed with a three-point system is very do able and will mitigate the set up trying to pull itself apart as the platform remains flatform.
And, of course, take the jacks off when you get the camper loaded on the truck.
I hang over on RV.net the Truck Camper Forum where most of the hard-core Truck Camper people call it their home forum.
regards, as always, jefe

Last edited:

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Mundo4x4casa. You are right in every way. But does the 830 model fit in the size frame that could be uses as you do? You are right. My 1040 will not be following you, not that I do not have the desire, but just to big. But an 830 on the right truck I think would be the best of both worlds. Thank you for all the insight you bring to these pages.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Captain,
Good to see you here too. This is jefe4x4. I know you from your participation over on RV.net Truck Camper Forum. I know you are just trying to add your experience to the mix, and that's good. This is a forum about personal experience and opinion.
Here are the specs for the 830;
note especially the width (96") and the dry weight, about 500 pounds more that the 825. For off-road types trying to be like a jeeper, just these two would be a deal breaker.

LANCE TRUCK CAMPER 830
SHORT BED - SIDE DOOR NON-SLIDEOUT CAMPER
Interior Floor Length 8'11"
Interior Height 78"
Cabover Interior Headroom 3'5"
Truck Bed Height 8'0"
Exterior Width 96"
Overall Exterior Height 9'2"
Fresh Water Tank 30 gallons
Grey Water Tank 17 gallons
Black Water Tank 19 gallons
Propane 1-5 gallon tank
Refrigerator 3-way Power 5 Cubic feet
Standard Furnace 20,000 BTU's
Generator Portable
Shower/Toilet Type Wet Bath
Queen Cabover + Dinette Bed Standard
Fold-down Bunk Bed N/A
Sleeping Accommodations Sleeps up to 4
Exterior Length 16'9"
Center of Gravity 43"
Dry Weight 2285
Of course, bigger tanks, longer box by a few inches, and this is without AC, which i believe the OP would not want to include. Now if he was older and lived in Florida, not CO, things would be different.
And the 825 specs:

Floor Length 8'6"
Overall Length 16'6"
Exterior Width 86"
Exterior Height 7'6"
Interior Height 77"
Cabover Height 2'9"
Dry Weight 1726
Center of Gravity 32"
Fresh Tank 30 gallons
Grey Tank 11 gallons
Black Tank 14 gallons
Refrigerator 3 cubic feet
Propane 1-5 gallon tank
Furnace 12,000 BTU's
Sleeping Capacity 5

I looked up the specs once again on my Lance 165-s and find:
dry weight: 1728 pounds
wet weight: 1842 pounds (water full, propane full, jax on)
so the aluminum framing and other weight reducing logic may be in place here. The other possibility is the myriad details that could be in or out of the mix when weighing in.
jefe

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Jefe
I think those super singles in the rear lend a unique stabilizing bonus to your handling. I've seen firsthand the effects of high sidewinds on srw trucks with stock tires. I-15 southbound from Vegas we encountered stiff winds off the dry lake area to the east. Every srw hardsided vehicle had their flashers on and was condemned to maybe 45 mph. I was doing OK but it wasn't fun. The dually trucks seemingly were minimally affected.

BillTex

Adventurer
These campers are well built and I have yet to destroy one, although some might say I've tried.

If you're interested we are currently selling ours, it's in great shape and has been lovingly cared for.

I'm not so sure I would have used those words in the same paragraph if I were trying to sell something...it is kind of funny...

Good luck with the project...and the sale.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
RegCab,
Astute observation. Even with the Lance slab side i've encountered minimal woes with the wind, and we have been in some hairy wind conditions. I do add some value of a wide trac and more leaf springs/stable loads under the main weight of the TC and the anti-sway bar. We have lived thru winds of over 100 mph. At that wind speed it's still a white knuckle experience. Once in Death Valley we got hit broadside by an approaching sand storm known as a Haboob. Grim. It was at night. We were snug in our sound proof hard side in a meadow of wildflowers, and BAM! We never even heard the wind coming. Then, it was like two elephants pushing on the broadside that woke my bride and I up with a start. I thought it was an earthquake. We just hung on and survived the six hour turbulence, hoping the TC would not succum and blow over on its side. Here is the afternoon before at that place. It looks pretty pristine. (we are actually camped on the trail) The wind came from upper left to lower right: broadside.

Make no mistake here, with all the accoutrements above, if you get near the edge your rig will simply be blown over on it's side. It will just lay over. There is an edge to that resistance to wind. I've never been there in the TC but have laid my jeep over maybe a dozen times rock crawling. Also, it would take a lot to make it go over. The most weight is not up high, but closer to the ground. That 1040 pound Cummins, the 360 pound 6 speed manual trans, those big heavy axles wheels and tires, that 225 pound front bumper and winch; they all help anchor the rig.
jefe

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
We had a 2001 lance 825 on our dodge 2500. We got it used in 09 and used it hard till this past spring. About 75 nights a year.

Pros:
good value(5k used)
Relatively light
Good room for 2 adults

Cons:
Horrible in cold and hot(almost zero insulation on walls and floor). Plumbing separated from outside by thin aluminum siding!
Too small once we got a 60lb dog in there with us(our opinion, obviously)
The wood framing(new models are aluminum) was getting to the point of serious repair needed, from a water leak.

We ended up getting an arctic fox this time. Totally different animal.

Chris

LoRoad

Adventurer
I'm not so sure I would have used those words in the same paragraph if I were trying to sell something...it is kind of funny...

Good luck with the project...and the sale.

Ha! Well played sir! Just to be clear though 'trying' and 'doing' are a far cry apart from one another. ;-0 These are pieces of equipment for me so I have to maintain them and keep them in tip top shape at all times. You never know when you have pack up and pull out of the driveway on another adventure. But it's always best to know your equipment is ready to go anytime.

Saline

Adventurer
Great info from everyone, I appreciate it. It seems a few of you don't hesitate to push the limits in a hard side camper.
I'm still contemplating the choice right now.

Basically the price of the Lance really has me leaning that way right now. It's $5,500 cheaper than the Hallmark. After seeing the dual paned windows and the "4 season" package it makes it even more tempting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online