Anyone had issues with their fridge and dog hair?

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So I'm new to the fridge/freezer world and I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with fridges around dogs. I'm going to be using an ARB fridge and while I will try to protect the radiator and open bits I have a German shepherd and a malamute. Essentially my cars a fur factory at all times. Has anyone had a problem with dog hair getting into the components and ruining them or worse starting a fire? Thanks in advance y'all!

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I used to keep my ARB mounted in the rear of my access cab while my lab-border collie mix occupied the front seat. Over a 9 day and several 4-5 day trips my passenger seat was completely coated with dog hair (not to mention my dash, floor, every interior surface) but the fridge mounted right behind it never had an issue with hair collecting or heat issues.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
most fridge sleeve covers have a screen to help circulate/vent the compressor ..
as stated above some sort of screen could be added to the the cover....

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Thanks all! I think ill do a combo of adding a screen and using dust off after each trip. Thanks for the input! Now I just need to build a dog guard to keep everyone secure and safe

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Thanks all! I think ill do a combo of adding a screen and using dust off after each trip. Thanks for the input! Now I just need to build a dog guard to keep everyone secure and safe

I don't think you need to do it every trip (unless your trips are months long) rather plan on servicing your fridge once per season, perhaps after your last big trip of the year, etc. We have a fleet of rental fridges that we send out with customers on 10-20 trips each per year, many of which are in dog-owner vehicles or packed in the back of trucks/open top SUV's... amazingly there is far more grime that we deal with inside the fridge than their often is inside of the fridge workings, they are built to be pretty resilient to the environments they are designed for. Of course you could have a particularly shedding dog (our German Shepherd is pretty bad) and in that case you may need to do it far more often :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94