4x6 Camping Trailer - can it be done?

rjinga

Observer
Ok, here's the deal - I'm "frugal". I already own a 4x6 utility trailer. I'd like to build a teardrop-style camper unit that I could put on, and take off, the trailer, so that I still use the trailer for hauling other stuff too.

I know that weight is always a factor, so the main function of the camper unit would be a sleeping area for the wife and me. I'm envisioning storage inside the frame rail, and the sleeping area above it, extending a few inches in each direction so that we have a (close to) queen-size bed. And, if the trailer could handle the weight, I'd have the standard cooking area in the back.

Has anyone ever seen, or built, something like this on this size trailer?

Attachments

• IMAG0371.jpg
    IMAG0371.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG0498.jpg
    IMAG0498.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 82

biskit

Adventurer
I would say many people on here start with a lot less, so yeh it can be good starting point. Just got to get your thinking head on now.:coffee:

verdesardog

Explorer
there are lots of threads on here starting with less. I personally like a stand up type of trailer. My first build was on a 4X8 trailer. It looked like a portable out house LOL and was too small for me.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I say do it.
A slide in box built like tear drop would be perfect.
Post your results.

Attachments

• images 2.jpg
    images 2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 789
Last edited:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I'd go with a beefier trailer to start with. I'm not a fan of the thin 2x2 angle iron trailer. I'd use a minimum of 2x2 3/16" box tube for the frame. The POD is a great idea. I'd also use a steel frame building it so it would handle being taken on and off the trailer better.

lilgription

Observer
Thanks Mark. It suits my needs. Hunting and fishing sleeper. Made from all wood and if you do it right its a tank, mine is lifted off and on the trailer with a gantry in my garage and it stays on a dolly in there. My lift points are on the body tied into the 2x3 framing. The pod itself is about 400lbs

Wise Old Jason

Founder, Wise Old Media
I've been thinking about this myself. I got a little 4x6 for free, I mostly use it for hauling kayaks, but since I'm moving back home to AZ, kayaking won't be as easy to do anymore. Off roading and wilderness camping will be though, and I'm all about re-purposing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz