How wide can you go?

Capo

Happy Camper
Carbon fibre body panels

Speaking of carbon fibre, Pagani Automobili have recently started producing not just "plain" CF body panels, but they have woven in tiny titanium strands to keep the panels from shattering on excessive impact. I sincerely hope this method develops into reasonable affordability. One would think such panels would be easier to repair as well when all the bits haven't f4cked off in all directions upon collision?

It should be entertaining to follow the big motor car manufacturers' search for light-weight full size off-road vehicles. When do you think there's a stock light-weight material body on an SUV or an off-road vehicle? - and who do you think will be the first?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for the great link!

I like the broad supply of water tanks. Now that all the rear seats are coming out I'm going to do some measuring to see which water tank will suit me the best.

I'm thinking not too much fixed structure permanently attached inside the cabin. I need loose boxes, tanks, fridges, etc for a variety of optimum space using combinations with lots of tie-down points. That way I can quickly dress the car for either a full on long expedition, a hunting weekend, a day of fishing, an afternoon of dirt bike riding or just completely emptied out for a lightweight off-roading exercise.

I'm looking forward to the new setup!:smiley_drive:

Since you're in Switz, check out the Euro site(previous link was USA) as it has shows even more G bits like the drawer setup(USA friend has it and loves it);
http://www.frontrunner.co.za/

I really like your plans for flexibility of gear---keep going with it. I look forward to seeing what you put together!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Speaking of carbon fibre, Pagani Automobili have recently started producing not just "plain" CF body panels, but they have woven in tiny titanium strands to keep the panels from shattering on excessive impact. I sincerely hope this method develops into reasonable affordability. One would think such panels would be easier to repair as well when all the bits haven't f4cked off in all directions upon collision?

It should be entertaining to follow the big motor car manufacturers' search for light-weight full size off-road vehicles. When do you think there's a stock light-weight material body on an SUV or an off-road vehicle? - and who do you think will be the first?

I think what you need is this with a G body :) ;
2008-Volkswagen-Red-Bull-Baja-Race-Touareg-TDI-Trophy-Truck-Studio-Front-And-Side-Lights-1920x1440.jpg

redneck44

Adventurer

Land Rover have been doing it for a while;), with their aluminium bodies mounted on a steel chassis, keeps the weight down low.

Nice vehicles you have there, I take it you have seen Oilworkers posts on G wagons.

Capo

Happy Camper
What do you guys use your ceiling nets for?

I haven't installed it yet but the first gear that come to mind depending on the mission are: My winter fuel stop kit (hooded goose down jacket and gloves), thermo sitting/kneeing pad, fishing rod, bird hunting guns when moving between the shoots, perhaps alu-table, snow shoes with walking poles...

The beauty of it is that you spread the cargo on three levels in stead of two (in the case of Rommel). This makes it more accessible. The ceiling net additionally has the benefit of spreading gear on a vast see-through surface making for a quick grab - ideal for light gear which needs to be readily available without going through compartments, moving and opening boxes, etc.

Last edited:

Capo

Happy Camper
:bowdown:
Land Rover have been doing it for a while;), with their aluminium bodies mounted on a steel chassis, keeps the weight down low.

Nice vehicles you have there, I take it you have seen Oilworkers posts on G wagons.

Thanks!

There is so much fabulous material to be seen here and I only just joined. But since your a/m post I quickly looked for some Oilworker posts and immediately got gobsmacked by the impressive vehicles and projects!! Impreeeeeessive!!

Regarding steel body vs alu; I know Land Rover did it right the first time and Puch/MB didn't, amazing isn't it?! It puzzles me greatly I must say. If an aftermarket alu-body could be made available by someone that would be highly interesting.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Yeah but we all know how those Rover's are. ;)

ORC in Germany has it going on with the G's on portals. Awesome!! :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
What do you guys use your ceiling nets for?

My primary reason for getting the FR unit is to use it as a dog net/barrier. Just a whole lot easier to buy FR's setup and install it(factory Mercedes net is about same price, but then doesn't have the upper stowage area) vs make my own dog barrier. The upper portion for storage(factory sunshade, few blankets, bright lime green coat for my SAR work) is just icing on the cake.
Of course if you didn't need to use it as a barrier, you could put lots of soft goods up there like coats, pillows, blankets, etc.
Before my new rack mounts, I had actually stored my Maxtrax pair up in the upper portion of the net. They kind of swung side-side on really bouncy doo-wop trails, but they were fully secure in there.

Capo

Happy Camper
I think what you need is this with a G body :) ;

A VW Dakar Rally car!

Oh, wouldn't that be a nice car to scoot around with like a maniac without a destination?! But I suppose the Bowler is a great option too with that wonderful V8, probably the best option?

Last edited:

Capo

Happy Camper
Going back to my initial question; the more strain you put on a bearing the more it will wear. Spacers obviously put additional strain on the wheel bearings.

I asked Davide at MaGicauto and he claimed the G wheel bearings are as strong as they come. He couldn't yet notice the additional wheel bearing wear on his G500 with spacers and 35" tyres and it has done many miles of active driving including Northern Africa. I guess it's just a matter of keeping check of the wear, deal with it as it comes and relax about it.

I am very attracted to portal axles. I think some day I will have them installed. I need to find out which solution/provider is the best. Little by little... :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Going back to my initial question; the more strain you put on a bearing the more it will wear. Spacers obviously put additional strain on the wheel bearings.

I asked Davide at MaGicauto and he claimed the G wheel bearings are as strong as they come. He couldn't yet notice the additional wheel bearing wear on his G500 with spacers and 35" tyres and it has done many miles of active driving including Northern Africa. I guess it's just a matter of keeping check of the wear, deal with it as it comes and relax about it.

I am very attracted to portal axles. I think some day I will have them installed. I need to find out which solution/provider is the best. Little by little... :)

I'll answer that question for you--Wolfgang Tibus; http://www.killeraxles.com/html/mercedes_g1.html
It's who Robert(Oilworker) has on his white Rover double cab.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I saw that Landie in Oilworker's posts, it is so good looking! If I recall correctly those axles have been running faultlessly? For five years.

I dunno if it's been that long, I think maybe only a few years if that. Ask Oilworker--nice guy, busy guy.

Capo

Happy Camper
I dunno if it's been that long, I think maybe only a few years if that. Ask Oilworker--nice guy, busy guy.

Thanks, I think I read somewhere in one of his posts that the portals had done five years on his 130" but I could mistaken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz