Big Bend National Park

TripLeader

Explorer
Part D [Emory Peak, 7825']

We set out for the high point of the park once our camp was established.

Looking down the trail at Boot Canyon and beyond.
335.JPG
-----
Approaching the peak.
346.JPG
-----
338.JPG
-----
It takes a mild scramble to get on top.
365.JPG
-----
Summit views.
388.JPG
-----
392.JPG
-----
The view of The Basin from up high.
357.JPG
-----
401.JPG
-----
427.JPG
-----
Daylight was fading over the park.
438.JPG

TripLeader

Explorer
Part E [To the Rim!]

We woke up early the next morning. It was gorgeous sunrise. Why wouldn't it be?
444.JPG
-----
Emory Peak in the morning light.
460.JPG
-----
In Boot Canyon.
478.JPG
-----
489.JPG
-----
Almost to the South Rim. It was our first trip to the park. I had seen photos taken from the rim. But I was not prepared for it.
493.JPG

shade

I'd like to go back and hit some of the more remote areas. I can't remember if you posted a photo of the trail that headed off into desolate basin while on the way to Mule Ears, but there may be something interesting out that way.

TripLeader

Explorer
I'd like to go back and hit some of the more remote areas. I can't remember if you posted a photo of the trail that headed off into desolate basin while on the way to Mule Ears, but there may be something interesting out that way.

There could be.
496sm.jpg

Last edited:

kwill

Observer
I was just there a couple of weeks ago and caught some great pictures of wildlife. I got some shots of a bobcat that the NPS has now put on their website.
zeEHrRb.jpg

shade

Sunrise atop the Chisos is hard to beat.
I was just there a couple of weeks ago and caught some great pictures of wildlife. I got some shots of a bobcat that the NPS has now put on their website.
zeEHrRb.jpg
Wow, that's got to be a rare shot. Excellent!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Very nice shot! There are estimates of over 1 million bobcats in the USA, with very large ranges. But its so rare to see them in person. Bravo.

TripLeader

Explorer
zeEHrRb.jpg

Very nice! I'll have a big cat coming up in my report. But it won't be as "lively."

TripLeader

Explorer
Part H [Down to the Desert Floor]

We started backpacking out. Our hiking that day would take us down from the Chisos. It was the beginning of looping underneath the South Rim.

I had not known it before, but birdwatching brings visitors to the park. You will learn about Colima Warblers if you ever visit. I don't know what this bird was. But I do know it's not a Colima Warbler.
732.JPG
-----
One of my friends stumbled on the trail. He brushed his hand against a cactus while trying to maintain balance.
739.JPG
-----
794.JPG
-----
Losing elevation.
795.JPG
-----
This was a memorable section of trail for me. It must not have seen many hikers. It was overgrown and uncomfortable. We had to hold our trekking poles out in front of us to help push all the scratchy brush out of our way.
801.JPG
-----
826.JPG
-----
This was an interesting find. It was right on the trail. We reported it to National Park Service staff when we later got back to civilization. They were already aware of it.
833.JPG

TripLeader

Explorer
Part I [Cache & Camp]

We continued on past the Mountain Lion.
840.JPG
-----
844.JPG
-----
845.JPG
-----
We had our first water cache near the trail junction.
849.JPG
-----
We gathered the cached gallon water jugs and topped off our bottles and soft bladders. We had just placed them out on the ground, away from the trail. I think a bear box has since been placed there.
854.JPG
-----
We hiked on until we found a suitable campsite. This section was all zone camping, if I remember correctly. There weren't any designated sites.
864.JPG
-----
Days were hot and the nights were cold--just like most Fall desert experiences.
866.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94