Torn between new ducati and bmw

jaxs1984

Adventurer
... you all missed the most important question ? which looks cooler with farkles on ? ... I'd go with the BMW

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone. Came down to the KTM and the BMW. Decided to order the BMW because the user interface just seemed much better integrated.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Scott Brady

Founder
Having ridden all of these bikes extensively (weeks or months, not days) on the road and dirt, the KTM is by far the best performer, and is within a fraction on street performance with the Multistrada. The BMW 1200GS is solid and competent at all disciplines and refined, along with excellent fit and finish. The perfect touring bike, yet still shockingly capable on the dirt.

However, for pure dirt and road performance, the KTM is on another level.

Buy the Multistrada if you feel the love, but otherwise, it lags the other two bikes where it matters. The 17" front wheel is the deal killer on that bike.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

KiwiKurt

Explorer
front wheel size was why the ducati was out.

the KTM is a great bike. I just swooned over the integration the BMW had, being a little bit of an under-cover tech/gizmo nerd.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
You will love the GS! I swapped with my buddy last weekend (12GSA). I forgot how comfy those are, with a big aftermarket seat and huge windscreen ;)

Sent from my Apple IIe

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Ironically enough, I went with the Ducati after having the BMW on order. More test rides and I just couldn't get away from how great a performer the Duc was. The KTM just didn't do for me, and neither did the Triumph. As Scott mentioned earlier, many people feel the KTM is within a fraction of the MTS on road, but I just didn't see it. I felt the MTS was head and shoulders above everything else on the road in suspension adjustability, engine performance, and handling.

Not sure how much the 17" front wheel will hamper me on the types of trails I want to do yet, but I think with a set of tkc80's, Ill be just fine with what I am looking to accomplish off road. When I move to Africa in a few years, something more dirt biased like the KTM or GSA may be the way to go....but for now, 90-95% of my riding is on road, and the trails aren't that rough. the MTS was, for me, the hands down winner.

GR8ADV

Explorer
if the DUC still comes with the 17 inch front wheel, then I would not even be thinking about it. That is useless for all but gravel roads.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I keep hearing that, and while I certainly don't doubt it out of hand, I dont think a 17" front wheel is going to prevent me from doing the trails I am looking at doing. Of the 10% of GS' that actually see dirt at all, I dont see too many on trails that look that serious. The few I do see on trails I wouldn't attempt with the MTS, I wouldnt want to take any 20k bike on anyway....

GR8ADV

Explorer
I keep hearing that, and while I certainly don't doubt it out of hand, I dont think a 17" front wheel is going to prevent me from doing the trails I am looking at doing. Of the 10% of GS' that actually see dirt at all, I dont see too many on trails that look that serious. The few I do see on trails I wouldn't attempt with the MTS, I wouldnt want to take any 20k bike on anyway....
Haha I love it. Ask for advice, hear a lot that you don't want to hear from people who have done it (from which us are asking advice) and then blow it off. Too funny.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Haha I love it. Ask for advice, hear a lot that you don't want to hear from people who have done it (from which us are asking advice) and then blow it off. Too funny.
Thats nothing remotely close to what I have said/done/implied.

The point of that post is that I am not trying to ride the morrison jeep trail or traverse africa. I dont plan on doing anything that serious off road with the bike, so it seemed like an unneccessary sacrifice. In Scott Brady's video review of the mts he even said "I had to double check that it wasnt a 19" front wheel...." his post above listed it as a hinderance, but I would assume in his extended rides on these platforms he did things substantially more difficult than I have interest in doing on a 1200cc 450+lb bike.

In the end, i decided i wanted what was going to be predominantly a road bike, and thats what I got. As I mentioned above, when I move to africa, ill probably trade it in on a ktm or bmw for the obvious and above mentioned reasons.

Do you need a hug? Or are you going to make it?

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
I wouldnt want to take any 20k bike on anyway....

Ok now ur making my day. ��. Is ur nissan all decked out in EXPO gear, nicely waxed without a single 'pinstripe' too?

I really don't care. Really i don't. I just just found it hilarious; but don't take it personal, the human rationalizing thought process is a crazy thing. I actually went back to the first post to see if it didnt say " help convince me to buy a Ducati.

Enjoy the bike. They are truly awesome fun to ride.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Ok now ur making my day. 😺. Is ur nissan all decked out in EXPO gear, nicely waxed without a single 'pinstripe' too?

I really don't care. Really i don't. I just just found it hilarious; but don't take it personal, the human rationalizing thought process is a crazy thing. I actually went back to the first post to see if it didnt say " help convince me to buy a Ducati.

Enjoy the bike. They are truly awesome fun to ride.
Heh...I wish. Last couple trips have not been kind to the paint. Nothing that I dont think I can get out with an afternoon and some work, but the plastic is pretty chopped. The rear mudflaps are gone. The rear bumper has a pretty good dimple in it from coming off a ledge in Moab and the spare side wall is banged up. I need to get a rear bumper to get the tire out from the bottom.

Currently its all stock. A couple basic expo items will make it in to the mix this fall, and maybe you can bring an orbital buffer and some compound by and get to the shined/polish status. Just let me know what kind of beer you drink.

49441a4ede53d6f3bf2147e018f32307.jpg

I appreciate everyone's input. I liked the Duc the best, and cancelled the bmw order after talking it over with the Mrs. Turns out she is really getting into the glamping/overlanding/choose your term scene and wasnt keen on me burning leave to take trips w/o her, so she wants the truck worked on to do more.

Off road ability of the bike just took a back seat to on road performance vs what I originally looked for.

Cheers.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Lagunitas. Keep me posted.

Funny you say that, I am taking what might be my last 'off road' bike trip next week for the same reasons. As a few of us are taking a couple weeks and riding the Continental Divide south to north from the Mexican border to the Canadian Border. The reason it may be the last trip is that I want to do more traveling with my wife as well rather than without her on the moto.

gl

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Lagunitas. Keep me posted.

Funny you say that, I am taking what might be my last 'off road' bike trip next week for the same reasons. As a few of us are taking a couple weeks and riding the Continental Divide south to north from the Mexican border to the Canadian Border. The reason it may be the last trip is that I want to do more traveling with my wife as well rather than without her on the moto.

gl

Sounds like a good trip....I'll be keeping my eye peeled for a trip report.

Myself and a couple guys are planning on doing the same in the trucks next year.

Ride safe!

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Contenintal Divide Trip

I'd love to tackle that too, but I have to wait until my son is a little older before going on that big of an adventure. Right now he is 3, so I figured when he is about 5 or 6, it'll be time to start with the adventures. I took him to the Bridgeport OHV park her in Texas, and he got board pretty fast. He's just too little, and wanted to go home. He'll get there.

Oh, BTW, I once had a KLR650, that was big fun off road, but it was poor on the highway with the added weight of panniers. Sold it and bought the ARB bull bar, winch, and OME suspension for my 2010 Taco. I sure miss that bike, and have pondered traiding my GL1800 on a big SUV motorcycle like the GS or KTM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles