Torn between new ducati and bmw

GR8ADV

Explorer
I'd love to tackle that too, but I have to wait until my son is a little older before going on that big of an adventure. Right now he is 3, so I figured when he is about 5 or 6, it'll be time to start with the adventures. I took him to the Bridgeport OHV park her in Texas, and he got board pretty fast. He's just too little, and wanted to go home. He'll get there.

Oh, BTW, I once had a KLR650, that was big fun off road, but it was poor on the highway with the added weight of panniers. Sold it and bought the ARB bull bar, winch, and OME suspension for my 2010 Taco. I sure miss that bike, and have pondered traiding my GL1800 on a big SUV motorcycle like the GS or KTM.

I sold my 1200 GSA a couple years ago after 60k miles; many trips across the US and Canada, as far north as the Arctic Circle and as far south as Central America. Loved that thing, but it was a little rough for the wife on the back for road trips. Replaced it with a Goldwing (wife loves this) and a KTM 690 for off road work. Did Baja and some mainland MX late last year, and this CD ride will likely be the last adventure of this nature.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Just read enough to understand, as we all often do, is asking for justification to support our bias. I can't give you that, sorry, as to the Duc or probably BMW, not even a contest, the BMW. I'd say it much like comparing a jeep to a full size truck, a hot rod to a sedan. The Duc will out perform the Beemer on the street. I've owned both manufactured bikes, not the ones in question here but had the badges.
Buying a bike is an emotional experience, the less you really know about them the more emotional it will be. Pick what you like.
But, from a subjective point of view: How long have these models been on the road? How dependable are they" How successful is the design the bike, the engine and parts? How is dealer service, will you be waiting for a week for a turn indicator to be shipped in or are parts really in inventory at a dealership? How easy is it to work on while on the road or out in the boonies? Is there after market gear made for the bike or are we to fabricate things to attach items. How do bags fit, what can they hold, who makes them? How many models have been sold of each, what's the popularity? Which one has the better history of endurance, reliability and success for the type of riding you'll really be doing? What's the range of these bikes on a tank full? I'd think from all of these aspects, it's hands down the Beemer. Are you riding in Italy or Africa? The more common a machine is the more parts there will be available, the more mechanics too.

If you want sex appeal for your bike sitting outside the café or bar, want 0-60 check flapping acceleration the Beemer might not be it, but I had more gals want to ride my Beemer than all my other bikes excluding cruisers and Harley chicks.
Corbin makes pretty good seats, better than most stock saddles, I wouldn't buy a bike because of the seat alone.
If you want a proven dual sport, you won't go wrong with a Beemer. Resale will be higher too with a Beemer, that says something about demand of those who actually ride.

Enjoy your Ducati. :)

Last edited:

jpachard

Adventurer
Or do the ultimate and put a 21" wheel on the front of the BMW and never look back:). That's what I've done on my 2012 R1200GS Rallye and it's awesome. I honestly think BMW designed the 1200GS with a 21" front wheel and at the last minute put the 19" on to satisfy the road weenies:).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles