97 F-350 CCLB build:

Chorky

Observer
I expect a full review!! :p I spoke with Atlas a few weeks ago and am pretty interested in their progressive springs they have now for our rigs. I'm sure your ride is going to be pretty darn nice now!

Seabass

Idiot
I expect a full review!! :p I spoke with Atlas a few weeks ago and am pretty interested in their progressive springs they have now for our rigs. I'm sure your ride is going to be pretty darn nice now!

Lots of pics and a detailed write up- you bet! My very good friend who lives just down the road from me put a set of rear springs on his 12' F-350. He said the ride is awesome. We'll see.

Seabass

Idiot
Ok guys, I'm finally ready for the follow up. I did take some pics. A lot of this stuff was really straight forward so I didn't take pics of some of it, I mean after all, who hasn't seen a new shock and the procedure for installing one?
So where to begin? Perhaps just dive in and let the thoughts flow to my finger tips. Atlas springs....what can I say? Worth every stinking penny! You can't believe just how great this truck rides. It's night and day different. I didn't realize just how little the old suspension I'd put together could move. I'm pretty sure it had about two inches of travel....one inch up, one inch down!!! These new springs can move! And the speed that I can now travel on some of our rough gravel roads is literally twice as fast as before. Uh, let's see.... I put the springs on a couple weeks ago. Nothing new there. Very straight forward job. Take the old ones off- and put the new ones on. That's it. So before, I had the stock springs and two sets of SkyJacker 1.5" add-a-leaves stacked up. Ok, so you can do it. It gives about 2.5" of lift. And it doesn't flex, like, any. So what I didn't realize was how hard it was pulling on...stuff. I hadn't unbolted the pan hard bar (track bar) when doing the add-a-leaves. But they were very difficult to place on the spring pads on the axel because the track bar was dropping too far. So for the Atlas springs I took one end of the track-bar loose, just because. So once everything was snugged up and setting back on the tires- I went to bolt up the bar. Nope!! It was at least 1/2 hole too short. So, I used a come-a-long to pull the axel over towards the passenger side to get the bolt in. I didn't even drive it. I immediately ordered a Tuff Country 4" drop bracket. I like it. It has a cam bolt to allow things to fall in place perfectly. When it arrived it bolted on easily, and my track bar is close to parallel to the axel, NICE!!
25bb7525e8cb672310033d545c34ea2b.jpg
4d69da60518a679707bf158eb449e2de.png
While I had the track bar loose I put a swanky new set of poly bushings in it. Ok, so now for a drive. As I stated, I was instantly thrilled with the ride quality. But the bumpsteer was horrible. Before the suspension was so rigid that it just wasn't that noticeable. But now, ouch! I took the truck to a local shop for an alignment and it was super quick. In fact it was only just a tic toed in, so back on the road we went. As I feared- the bumpsteer was still there. I was hoping the caster was off and causing the wandering every time I hit the slightest bump. Nope. So I ordered a 4" drop pitman arm. While this is very straight forward, I'd like to stress the importance of having a pitman arm puller. It's very difficult without one, and apparently no amount of beating and profanity will remove one in the course of two hours. However after a trip to town to O'Riely's and $18 bucks for a puller- it's a quick removal. Ask me how I know. Once the new arm was on I re-centered the steering wheel - because I can't stand driving straight ahead with a steering wheel that's 3/4 of a turn the wrong way. Test drive 3: AWESOME!!!! No more bumpsteer!!!! Drives as good as factory new. So what else,,,,I put new shocks on. I installed a new set of SkyJacker Black max shocks. Nothing fancy. But, they have an extended length of 26" and a compressed length of about 16". The factory shocks were nearly topped out, not that it mattered with the crappy no-flexy-flexy springs I was using. I jacked the truck up and removed the tires to let the axel drop all the way down. These new shocks can utilize every inch. I also added a set of extended stainless steel brake hoses. So I'm ready for anything I'm ever going to do with this truck. It rides great, it looks good, and it drives good. It ended up about 3/4"-1" taller than it was with the old springs. I expect to be right about 1/2"- 3/4" after the springs "settle." The only thing left to do is re- install the front sway bar. I removed it to clear the drop bracket for the track bar. I think I can re-install it by simply adjusting it on the factory mounting points. There is room to move it. If it won't fit easily, I'll probably just leave it off. I live on a very windy road, and I honestly can't say I notice it's absence. 35"s on 16" wheels, lift, and a truck this heavy doesn't handle curves at speed well anyway. I've included some before and after pics. The pics with the white topper are the truck on the Atlas springs. The black topper pics are on the old packs. I did snap a pic of the brake hoses and new shocks, not that it's exciting in the least. I still have some rake, and that's good. If I'm hauling horses, or a load of hay on one of my goosenecks or even packing my slide-in camper the truck won't look like it's squatting. To look at the pics it's difficult to see that 1/2-3/4" lift. And with the parts I've added, I can still add another inch or two of lift and roll on. So here's the pics, enjoy!
56b52197f1e7cfd9de5f836e99a7d47f.jpg
69b7d0e464b5bcca7651298ae5346a95.jpg
10b66900e4c702e32dcfb45e3407efd0.jpg
00e85f3efd43a8010cd0a3a57cd2d7ef.jpg
e19a73f4ecb7843109ad4c3f6d5ee1d3.jpg

Last edited:

Seabass

Idiot
Thanks guys! Pappa.....Couldn't stand it, could you?!
In a way I wish I'd done the reversal. And I still can. The bushings are plenty worn on my current front shackles. Maybe a SRK can happen yet. But, I've spent a fair good bit of money getting it this far. I think I'm just going to ..... "enjoy the ride" for a while. And Pappa- I sincerely want to thank you for all your advice. You were a tremendous help.

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
Lookin good!!! thanks for the report! I'm hoping to get my suspension all fixed up and some diff work here in a few more weeks as well. Did you have the springs set to stock weight, or did you weigh your truck first? I'm wondering what kind of difference that might have made. What springs did you go with? When I spoke with them a few weeks ago apparently they have a new 'two stage' spring for our trucks, and for the rears supposedly it eliminates the need for the overload - not sure how well that would work though.

I agree with pappa - but a reversal would probably work wonders! I'm assuming these are a factory length and not to the V-code specs?

Seabass

Idiot
Lookin good!!! thanks for the report! I'm hoping to get my suspension all fixed up and some diff work here in a few more weeks as well. Did you have the springs set to stock weight, or did you weigh your truck first? I'm wondering what kind of difference that might have made. What springs did you go with? When I spoke with them a few weeks ago apparently they have a new 'two stage' spring for our trucks, and for the rears supposedly it eliminates the need for the overload - not sure how well that would work though.

I agree with pappa - but a reversal would probably work wonders! I'm assuming these are a factory length and not to the V-code specs?

Mine are the progressive 3" over stock springs. They are stock length. Fernando needed all my truck specs. He knows what one of these trucks weighs, but he needed to know the weight of my "accessories."

Seabass

Idiot
So I came across some old Polaroid pictures the other day. They were of my very first Ford truck. It was an 88' F-250. It had a 302, a Mazda 5spd transmission, and 3.55 gears. Not the best combo for the little 302. But, a set of headers, some big exhaust, and every bolt on mod I could find back then went on it. And you know, the old truck actually ran pretty good all things considered. I hauled horses all over three states with it, and countless numbers of cattle all on a 16' gooseneck stock trailer. I four wheeled the crap out of it, I jumped it, and just drove the general poop out of it. Every day. It was a great truck. It never left me stranded in nearly 100 thousand miles of use. It was 10 years old when I bought it, but it only had 30,000 miles on it. Came from my neighbor. I remember the day he bought it. This truck made me a lover of the Ford truck. Simple, durable, dependable. I've had newer, and nicer since. But this type of truck is what made me go back to them. It's why I drive my two old crew cabs today. Anyway, I wanted to share the pics. They show some of its progression while I owned it. I don't have one the day I got it. But close, just after its purchase I put my home made front bumper on. Ended up building a headache rack, and rear bumper. From there it was a mild lift and mud tires and yadda-yadda-yadda.....
7354373a64d3073ffbf22b1bc78672df.jpg
f3c9c7bce221ea5f61ebd7fef964aeae.jpg
0296965f12c34bbaba17b4b42f3c6932.jpg
69e9bcba252583a7cc48326f65f66111.jpg

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You are definitely a leaf spring guy. Good to hear your little 302 served you well. I am going to put an even smaller engine in my 88.

Seabass

Idiot
G-man, yes it was! Pappa, I love leaf springs. They are simple and dependable. No surprises. It's easy to figure out what a particular set will handle in terms of weight, and speed. They take forever to wear out, and are easy enough to replace when they do. But I've owned em' all. The IFS chevy's rode great, but were too close to the ground. The Dodges.....coil springs and four links were pretty dang smooth, but the trucks sure left me wanting. I do, however, have a soft spot for the old TTB coil spring F-150's. I've had a couple of them. My favorite, and only vehicle I've ever regretted selling was a 1995 Bronco. 351, auto, and smallish 31x10.50's. It was a blast! I truly wish I'd kept it. But yeah, I'm a leaf spring and straight axel kind of guy. I can't wait to see your 88' on the road. It's gonna be super cool. I really have grown to love those old brick nose trucks.

Seabass

Idiot
Dang it Pappa!!! Mine was white too!!!! You're making it awfully hard on me to make wise financial decisions!!! I LIKE your Bronco! It's a good thing you live so far from me. Distance is a great deterrent! I wanted to lift mine and make look about like what you have there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94