Canvas Tent?

LR Max

Local Oaf
Just talked with a friend of mine about old school style canvas tents.

Overall I'm on the fence. Positive side is that they would be quite roomy and also look pretty awesome setup next to my 109. On the downside, they look very complicated to setup, doesn't look like it keeps critters and weather out very well, oh and heavy.

I always think about tearing down camp in the morning. As many know, that can inadvertently drag on and on and on. I kinda see a canvas tent possibly doing this. I remember setting up big wall tents back when I was in Army AROTC. That was always a bear. The pup tents were easy and great until the water and centipedes came in.

Does anyone here have a big old canvas tent? What do you think?

Doesn't have to be old to be canvas!

I have a JetTent and it does everything that you said a canvas tent doesn't. Set up in a couple of minutes, down in a couple more.

Plenty of Springbar and Kodiak canvas tents as well. I just chose the JetTent for ventilation due to the steamy Georgia summers.

They are all fairly expensive but will last forever.

Sounds what you are talking about is an old shelter half used in the military? Maybe?

Edit: missed the "old school style" bit. The kodiak or springbar are still pretty "old" looking.

madmax718

Explorer
From my experience, they add a great feeling toward the whole experience, but they take longer to setup, not sealed from the elements at the base, take longer to setup, harder to dry.

I think on a multi day excursion they add a lot, but snakes in my bed when I wake up.. no good.

madmax718

Explorer
Doesn't have to be old to be canvas!

I have a JetTent and it does everything that you said a canvas tent doesn't. Set up in a couple of minutes, down in a couple more.

Plenty of Springbar and Kodiak canvas tents as well. I just chose the JetTent for ventilation due to the steamy Georgia summers.

They are all fairly expensive but will last forever.

Sounds what you are talking about is an old shelter half used in the military? Maybe?

Edit: missed the "old school style" bit. The kodiak or springbar are still pretty "old" looking.
lol, ya, was gonna say. But Canvas tents can use wood heaters!

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I've been using Range Tents from David Ellis in Durango CO for many years now.
10 minutes to set up, 10 minutes to tear down.
He also makes several other types of canvas tents.
Excellent quality and customer service too. Might be worth a look for you:
http://www.cowboycamp.net/range_tents.php
2012-10-31_12-55-17_699.jpg

Dennis

grogie

Like to Camp
I've been using Range Tents from David Ellis in Durango CO for many years now.
10 minutes to set up, 10 minutes to tear down.
He also makes several other types of canvas tents.
Excellent quality and customer service too. Might be worth a look for you:
http://www.cowboycamp.net/range_tents.php
View attachment 203729

Dennis

Wow... they make awesome tents! I feel like I'd need a horse to go along with some of them. And with their larger tents, I think I could spend a week in them. I'd need brass bed too. :)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Another vote for Jet Tent or Oz Tents in general.

The tent on my Conqueror trailer was great. 10 minutes up or down. Unless it was raining. Then it was two days to put away...

Remember that wet canvas needs to dry thoroughly before you stow it long-term. So if it's raining on Sunday, you have to set it back up at home (in the garage?) and let it dry for a day or two before buttoning it back up.

On roadtrips, you can pack it wet and set it back up again but it's nasty. Especially if it's a couple of wet days in a row.

We actually stayed in hotels a few times on long roadtrips if it was raining. Just to avoid the wet canvas and hassle of packing it.

Dry trip:
100_3051-1.jpg

Wet trip:
100_2932-1.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
Thanks for the replies. Seems like there are some "modern" variations that improve on previous designs. Leading to a tent that looks the part but is more convenient.

I'll keep researching with the links provided. Would be cool to have the best of both worlds. 20 minute tear down isn't too bad.

One thing I really like about my Dave Ellis Range Tent is the sewn in and waterproof floor. That keeps out all the unwanted things.

JR Greenhorn

In order to sort out the mis-information, it's important to separate canvas as a material from people's memories of outdated tent designs. Many of the tents people recall with not-so-fond memories wouldn't have been any better had they been made of materials other than canvas.

Canvas as a tent material has some specific advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages:

"Breathability" - Cotton canvas is unmatched for breathability as a tent material, unless you count mesh screens. Most modern synthetic tents use lots of mesh under a rainfly to allow the tent to breathe and prevent it from getting clammy inside, however they don't do a good job of holding in heat. Canvas can be zipped up tight with no rain fly, and still breathe to a degree. When cotton canvas is dry, it passes a small amount air through its weave. More important to reducing clammyness, is the way it absorbs moisture from the air inside, and then evaporates it to the outside. Of course, ambient humidity and temperature play into that, but in general it allows for more comfortable conditions inside the tent, as compared to synthetics.

Water resistance - the mechanism by which cotton canvas resists water is by absorbing it. That is, the fibers the canvas is woven from soak up small amounts of water, which causes them to expand. When the fibers expand the weave tightens up, and resists water from passing through. When sewn with proper thread (a cotton-sheathed, poly-cored thread), the thread expands to tighten up its holes as well, so a "seam sealer" isn't required either.

Modern treated canvases have a treatment that limits the amount of water the fibers will soak up, yet still allows enough absorption to swell the fibers and tighten the weave. You see this as water beading up and running off the tent while it stands in the rain for hours, yet when the tent is dry, it is dry to the touch (no old-fashioned oil or wax treatments). Also, the old adage "don't touch the walls or the water will soak through" isn't quite true anymore. For some canvases (such as Sunforger--probably the best available these days), the treatment is applied to the threads before they are woven into canvas, making for a very robust treatment.

Quietness - canvas tents are so refreshingly quiet in the wind and rain. My Jumping Jack trailer uses a Springbar-style setup, which stretches the canvas so tight it's a bit like sleeping under a drum head (it does get quieter as the tent roof soaks up some water). However, spending a night in the rain in my friend's synthetic ground tent reminds me of just how loud the alternative is--especially when the wind picks up.

Disadvantages:

Drying after use - this was already mentioned, and is certainly the biggest hassle when using canvas tents. On the other hand, you do have to dry out any tent before packing it away after it's gotten wet, you just have to be more thorough about it with canvas.

Weight - this almost goes without saying. Everybody knows canvas is heavy, and there's not really anything that can be done about it. Some wall tent makers use synthetic materials for walls and other areas of their tents, to try to cut weight while keeping some of the advantages of cotton canvas.

Cost - good quality canvas is surprisingly expensive. If you think of it as an old-fashioned material, you'll be quite surprised at what items made from quality canvas go for these days. However, canvas is still very long-lasting, especially with modern UV-resistance treatments, which helps justify the price somewhat.

All in all, based on the my own experience with modern canvas tentage over the last few years, I will say canvas is the top choice in the rain, wind, storms, and cold temperatures. For me personally, I would select canvas as a tent material of choice for any use except for when I have to carry it to camp on my back.

I already mentioned my Jumping Jack trailer's canvas tent, but my cousin bought a Kodiak Canvas cabin tent a couple years ago, and we've been camping with them as well. He bought the accessory awning with side panels for his tent. He sets up a table and rug inside, and even in heavy rain, you can close off the side panels and have a comfortable, dry place to hang out and cook, eat, read, relax, etc. inside.

That cabin tent is certainly an old-fashioned design, but it does have a poly "bathtub" style floor. Setup is quicker than I would've expected for just the tent, and don't forget that with canvas tents, there's no rain fly to mess around with. However, the awning accessory on my cousin's tent takes longer to set up than the tent itself does. Overall, his tent works well for what he wants it to do, and he doesn't seem to mind the pitch or strike times involved. If it were me, I'd have gone with a Springbar (or Kodiak's Flex-Bow) design instead.

I've also looked at the designs from places like David Ellis, Beckel Canvas, or Snowtrekker online, and there sure are some nice canvas tent designs available these days. One thing to keep in mind with ordering tents from places like this is the fact that you can have custom options included fairly easily--after all, you are commissioning a tent to be sewn just for you.

vanhornsky

Observer
I have a canvas tent and love it for long stays in the woods, fire up a wood stove and it will keep you warm! It takes about 45 minutes to put it up or down, and if it is wet then you are setting it up when you get home in a dry place to dry. With the amount of room it takes up (canvas is about 4.5 ft by 3 ft, and poles and fittings are 8 ft long and about 2 ft or so not to mention 100+ pounds) it doesn't travel all that well. Still a great shelter for a weekend plus trip. I have to put in my trailer to take it with me, but that is what it is for.

Brandon

xjman88

Adventurer
Heres my 1960 Eureka Drawtite canvas tent. I love this thing in bad weather. Has the rubberized floor in it as well. In colder weather i use a Coleman Bearcat tent heater and it gets nice and toasty. In heavy rain i throw a matching tarp over it. Works great. 0519190520.jpg0519190510.jpg0519190501.jpgAnd i can have it set up in about 5 mins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier