All-Purpose Scout 80 build

MotoDave

Explorer
Very Very impressive. I grew up working on scouts with my dad and love them. Currently have a 69 800 SR-2 and a 78 Scout II. Both are very moderate wheelers. No SOA or anything. Fun to work on tho.

Did you have to cut the firewall to squeeze in the 350? We converted an 80 to a 350 and auto and had to cut a bunch out of the firewall.

I wish I had the tools/knowledge to to all the mods you are doing likle the Linked suspension and all the fab work. Keep it up!!

D

I mounted the engine far enough forward to clear most 0of tyhe firewall, but the whole crossmember and core support will need to get moved forward. I only need to notch one section of the firewall on the drivers side to provide access to the rear most exhaust manifold bolt. I think I'll either have to remove or notch the heater plenum to be able to pull the distributor out, not a big deal for me.

2012-12-29%252017.07.09.jpg

2013-02-20%252017.42.20.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I mounted the engine far enough forward to clear most 0of tyhe firewall, but the whole crossmember and core support will need to get moved forward. I only need to notch one section of the firewall on the drivers side to provide access to the rear most exhaust manifold bolt. I think I'll either have to remove or notch the heater plenum to be able to pull the distributor out, not a big deal for me.

Ohhh thats right. As stated before we didnt have access to welders, etc and couldnt relocate any x members so we cut out from the firewall. How much room do you have for the radiator, fan belt, etc. I cant remember the measurments we had but from the pics it looks like it will be close.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Nice! I love those old Scouts. They're pretty well picked over and rusted out, but the junkyard I work at has a few of them if you need any parts.

MotoDave

Explorer
I got the fender flares in, they're the Wild Horses Gorilla Warflares. They are urethane and seem like they'll conform well to the scout body.

Been a while since I've had the fenders and grille in place, its actually starting to look like a real truck again.
2014-01-08%252020.57.59.jpg

Front flare fitment, I think this may come forward a little more.
2014-01-08%252020.57.46.jpg

2014-01-08%252020.57.34.jpg

Rear, I think this needs to come a bit further back.
2014-01-08%252020.57.14.jpg

02TahoeMD

Explorer
What a great project. You have mad engineering skills. :Wow1: Eagerly looking forward to the progress on this beauty. :lurk:

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Scout is looking great so far! I hear you on the age, I was getting bummed out myself for turning 28, but 30? That's old man status right there, lol.

Keep up the killer build Dave:sombrero:

MotoDave

Explorer
Thanks guys - sorry the progress will be slow from here on out, between the real job and welding school I won't have too much Scout time this semester.

Didn't get anything picture worthy done this weekend, just measured for the steering link lengths, should get those ordered this week. Spent a little time trying to find a local source for 2" x 1/4" wall DOM tube for the links, and got the axle shafts built with new ujoints.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Nice! I'm liking the stance, I dig the recessed fender fuel filler cap. What is the reasoning behind linking the front, but not the back?

Keep up the good work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier