Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vario project started

Hi Jostein
    Congratulations on your Vario. I was in your position couple of years ago. I fitted a Knaus caravan on it and it works well. Currently I am changing tyres to Michelin XZL 275/80R20 and what a difference, much softer, lower rev and increased torque. I have difficulty including a photo, I will try later.
    mvh Gretar

Thank you Gretar,

Wouldgreatly appriciate pics. The tires you are fitting are large! Did you have to raise the suspension or do mods to the cab?
    As probably most other Vario owners have done, I am also thinking forth and back regarding choice of wheels/tires

Thought I was going to save some time by purchasing unused items
    It turns out that the seat bases comes in different lengths, the unused base I bought had to be cut, rewelded and painted.. One day of work for just a detail...
    DSC_0042.jpg
    Then it was the rear LED lights. Supposed to be just plug and play, but the connector was wrong, and the color code of the wires was different. Figured it out though.
    DSC_0057.jpg

Mvh Jostein

If you are considering a single wheel conversion - I would suggest you drive a converted van before making the decision

I have seen from your build thread that you have some handling issues With Yours Ianc, I hope you get things sorted. Not to many single wheel Varios around in Norway to test drive I suspect..

I have now spent some time on the camper design. The illustrations below are representing what I think will be the concept I go for (at least at the moment).
    ill1.jpgill2.JPG

Very nice. Did you do the pic or did you find it on the Internet?
    The other thing to keep a eye on id overall height. Mine is 3.55m and I wouldn't want it to be any higher. Your drawing looks to be about the same.
    Do you have a list of design criteria yet? Number of beds, toilet/shower facilities, how many days independent of services etc etc?

Thank you, did the model/pics myself, I do mecanical design and 3D modeling as a part of my work. Bought this model as a starting point for the cab:
    Mercedes_Vario_PanelVan_LongWheelBase_HighRoof_2011_600_lq_0001.jpg
    Design criterias:
    Maximum height: 3500mm
    Number of seats: minimum 4, preferably 6.
    Number of beds: 4 (including one double bed of at least 150x200cm
    Kitchen: fridge, sink and stove
    Bath: toilet, shower and sink.
    Electricity: 2000w 230v inverter, minimum 500w of solar panels, at least 400ah battery capacity.
    5 days of indenpendent service would be sufficient.

Here is a drawing (hard to see the measurements):
    ill3.JPG

I have also done some illustrations of the interior, but do not have them accessible at the moment.

Jostein

Internal layout. Storage compartment under the rear bed. Planning to have seating area in the cab.
    ILL4.jpg

Love the concept of this. Out of curiosity, what program(s) are you using for design and rendering? They look great!

Jostein,
    You may have already seen this, but just in case: http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/choosevan.htm
    I found it useful.

Achieving 3.5m height with a bed over the cab and where there is a gap between the cab and the bottom of the box might be a challenge.
    My box is integrated with the cab and I have about 800mm headroom in the bed and the van is 3550mm high.

Thank you LoRoad, I am using SolidWorks Premium for both design and rendering.
    Regarding the link Ianc; yes, I have seen that, trying to take in to concideration Want to stay below 3500mm (currently 3420 excluding hatches)
    This gives me an inside height of 700mm over the cab. Then the height between top of the bed and the ceiling would be approx 600mm.
    This is a compromise, but the master bed will be the one in the rear. The height above the rear bed is 1050mm.
    Can possibly gain 50 mm by removing the front hatch, and recess the rear hatch and the solar panels in some way.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast