Vario project started

jostein

Adventurer
Thank you, did the model/pics myself, I do mecanical design and 3D modeling as a part of my work. Bought this model as a starting point for the cab:
Mercedes_Vario_PanelVan_LongWheelBase_HighRoof_2011_600_lq_0001.jpg
Design criterias:
Maximum height: 3500mm
Number of seats: minimum 4, preferably 6.
Number of beds: 4 (including one double bed of at least 150x200cm
Kitchen: fridge, sink and stove
Bath: toilet, shower and sink.
Electricity: 2000w 230v inverter, minimum 500w of solar panels, at least 400ah battery capacity.
5 days of indenpendent service would be sufficient.

Here is a drawing (hard to see the measurements):
ill3.JPG

I have also done some illustrations of the interior, but do not have them accessible at the moment.

Jostein

LoRoad

Adventurer
Love the concept of this. Out of curiosity, what program(s) are you using for design and rendering? They look great!

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Jostein,
You may have already seen this, but just in case: http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/choosevan.htm
I found it useful.

Achieving 3.5m height with a bed over the cab and where there is a gap between the cab and the bottom of the box might be a challenge.
My box is integrated with the cab and I have about 800mm headroom in the bed and the van is 3550mm high.

jostein

Adventurer
Thank you LoRoad, I am using SolidWorks Premium for both design and rendering.
Regarding the link Ianc; yes, I have seen that, trying to take in to concideration:) Want to stay below 3500mm (currently 3420 excluding hatches)
This gives me an inside height of 700mm over the cab. Then the height between top of the bed and the ceiling would be approx 600mm.
This is a compromise, but the master bed will be the one in the rear. The height above the rear bed is 1050mm.
Can possibly gain 50 mm by removing the front hatch, and recess the rear hatch and the solar panels in some way.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Can possibly gain 50 mm by removing the front hatch, and recess the rear hatch and the solar panels in some way.

One caution I would give is to avoid joins or seams in the roof if at all possible. I've had a number of leaks at the join in mine.
If you know who will be building the box - ask them for advice on this.

Gretar

Hi Jostein
Take two in inserting the pics. I have now driven more than 300 kms on the Michelin XZL 275/80R20 and very pleased. The handling issue described by IanC and I am familiar with on my previous Continentals LDR 10R17.5 have greatly reduced or disappeared. I had to do a minor cut-out on the wheel arch and sawing a piece off the bumper. I was lucky to find old Unimog wheels that fitted without alterations. If your planning to use your rig on rough terrain I would strongly recommend the XZL instead of the 285R19.5 truck tyres that most people seem to be using.
mvh Gretar
814_5.jpg814_4.jpg814_3.jpg814_2.jpg814_1.jpg

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Gretar,
The Michelin XZL 275/80R20 tyre looks to have a load rating of 128 (1800Kg per tyre). Did you have to have the GVM of your Vario rear axle down rated from 5600kg?

Those are nice tyres though. What's there overall diameter?
Ian

jostein

Adventurer
Thank you for the pics Gretar, the wheels look good. The load rating on this tire are to low to get the car road legal without downrating rear axle load, but the use of old mog 20 inch rims opens up new possibilities:). Do you know from what kind of mog they are? The diameter of 275/80R20 should be 948mm. About 37 inch. For comparsion the more widely used 285/70R19.5 are 895mm. 10R17.5 are 870mm. Rumours says that someone on Iceland are using 37x13.5R17 MT tires. Any info on that?

Jostein

Gretar

Ian and Jostein
My vehicle is now registered as a motorhome weighing approx. 5 tonnes. 37x13.5R17 are also used in Iceland and give a very comfortable ride.
Gretar

Doddi_1.jpgDoddi_4.jpgHvíta gengið.jpgLandmhellir_1.jpg

jostein

Adventurer
Nice and motivating pictures from Iceland! Some Day, when my truck is ready, I will go there.
Can I Just ask where you get rims for the 37x13.5R17?

Jostei

Gretar

The wheels 17 x 11.5 are made in Iceland. The rims come from the US but have to be widened and fitted with a new centre. I would be a little worried that these tyres dont last long in the lava fields. The XZL are 8 ply rating and should take the rough terrain better.
Look forward to seeing you in Iceland. My plan is to visit Norway but have not got the dates yet, perhaps 2015. It is easy with the Smyril line but expensive.
Gretar

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Gretar,
You may have seen my thread here http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...f-a-camper-No-laughing!?p=1508973#post1508973
where I'm struggling with the handling of my camper with wider wheels. Do you have any directional stability problems with those wide tyres?
I'm asking because I am having problems with the van not wanting to track in a straight line on poorly surfaced roads when I'm running on 285/70 19.5" tyres. The problem isn't noticeable wit the standard tyres fitted.

Jostein - Apologies for the hijack of your thread

Gretar

Ian
I certainly had the stability problem you described on your thread on the 10R17.5 tyres. I have not experienced any problems after switching to the XZL tyres, BUT I have only done some 200 miles. The single fitment is causing this, but I think you could reduce the problem with a wider wheel. The wheel I am using now is 9" compared with 6.75" for the previous wheels. I guess your wheels are 8.25" ? and tyre 285mm so a lot of sideways movement is possible. Compared with my 275mm and 9" . What do you think??
Gretar

LukeH

Adventurer
Hi Jostein
Take two in inserting the pics. I have now driven more than 300 kms on the Michelin XZL 275/80R20 and very pleased. The handling issue described by IanC and I am familiar with on my previous Continentals LDR 10R17.5 have greatly reduced or disappeared. I had to do a minor cut-out on the wheel arch and sawing a piece off the bumper. I was lucky to find old Unimog wheels that fitted without alterations. If your planning to use your rig on rough terrain I would strongly recommend the XZL instead of the 285R19.5 truck tyres that most people seem to be using.
mvh Gretar
View attachment 208045View attachment 208046View attachment 208047View attachment 208048View attachment 208049
Now THAT's what was missing from the Vario! It finally looks correctly proportioned. Do you have to do a brake efficiency test to verifiy the truck can stop with the larger dimeter tyres?

I'm guessing a U404 donated those wheels?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles