09 JKU + supercharger vs '12+ JKU

wADVr

Adventurer
I currently have an 09 JKU Rubicon (see signature below) with 82k now. I have enjoyed owning it and got a good deal when I purchased it so I am not making any hasty decisions. I have a couple of complaints though, 3.8 provides little power/economy and I am not impressed with the transmission at all, the two of them seem to collaborate together to reduce performance. It is not a total hate relationship as I understood this when making the purchase and the deal outweighed the option to purchase new and build up from complete factory.

I am at the point mileage wise that I need to consider making the move or sticking with my current situation. I am impressed by the AEV supercharger but at $6k (i would install myself) it is quite an investment for still having the minivan base motor and god only knows where they came up with the transmission. But possibly with an appropriate amount of engine power the tranny would function in a more productive manner?.. This route won't be something i pursue for a little while as I have more pressing expenses to focus on but the dream or option is something to help cope.

So to purchase a new JKUR is in a sense 'pushing the easy button' but is totally reliant on the trade in value as well as the dealer with the right rig to be OK with me swapping out all my current aftermarket equipment over to the new jeep, thus leaving them with a stock 09 JKUR with brand new axles, wheels/tires, bumpers and complete suspension. Some might think this isn't possible but I have seen others do it with success. My current 5.38 axle ratio would need to be swapped out to 4.56 or so as well but it wouldn't be hard to find someone looking to upgrade and swap.

SO with all that said, is the '12+ worth it? or should I be happy with my equity and dream of more aftermarket support to fill the gap?

TIA!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Have you driven the 3.6?
Jeep guys seem to think it is an engine from god. As a non jeep guy (who hasn't driven the 3.8) it is just "ok".
I read all the hype online and my first test drive left me disappointed. I'd say all of my past ford ranger/explorer based 4.0L rigs would blow it away.
And now I own one. My thoughts after 20k miles? It's enough. Not fast, but it does the job. Mine is getting re geared with 35s as it becomes inadequate with several mods on the highway at altitude. The engine ticks. Common cylinder head problem. Mine isn't enough to get a new head because it has to set off the CEL now. Not just once. After the first time, the dealership flashes the software so the CEL doesn't come on until it misfires even more. THEN you can get a new head.

If you drive automatics the switch may be worth it from what I hear. People seem to like it, but again it's the jeep freaks that love it and they will love anything that jeep comes out with. ;)

I opted for the six speed manual but even it had to be rebuilt as fourth gear gave out. I'm slowly replacing nearly every single suspension, steering and drivetrain component now. Even the front output shaft on the transfer case had play from the factory. The dealers wouldn't replace it because "the other wrangler are the same way". Sure enough, nearly half of the brand new wranglers on the lot had sloppy output shaft bearings on the front of the t case. Compete garbage and lack of quality control.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Long story short, if your 3.8 has been reliable...
Supercharge it, re-gear it and install a large trans cooler. Probably way ahead of spending money on a new rig. I've spent SO much money on my 2012 to finally make my jeep solid and reliable.

Last edited:

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
The 3.6 is nothing to write home about. I've driven the 3.6 and 3.8's with both the Magneson and Ripp superchargers and would take the Ripp unit over the other two.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have driven the 3.8 and find it ok for a jeep. Its not a hotrod. I would keep what ya got. The 3.6 just looks to complicated.

wADVr

Adventurer
Brian, I did drive a couple initially before purchasing my current JK and stock I wasn't impressed to be honest, but that was stock. Pushing around 5k+lbs with 37" tires have left some desire for better gearing and more power and am now wondering if the new power train would suffice. I am regeared to 5.38s now, 35s would probably have a better appreciation for this ratio but it is as deep as you can get. I agree with all the complication of the 3.6, but I also feel that some of the issues with my current 3.8/auto is a unrefined version of that complicated mess. maybe the new complicated mess actually works..

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Well my 2012 manual trans got around ok with 35s until I added a heavier/taller top, bumper winch etc. 4.56 would be fine but I'm going with 4.88s. An auto with 4.88s should be more than enough on a 2012+ with 37s. But the auto trans probably makes more difference than anything else, compared to the older version.

wADVr

Adventurer
I am not stuck on the AEV/Mangusen unit either, the RIPP would be an option as well.(haven't done any research)

hmm, Still have to go that deep with 35s and the lower 5th gear.

Last edited:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Your 3.6L must be a serious lemon. I got my 12 JKU after my 11 JKU got took back as a lemon (what a blessing). The two are night and day. The 3.8L was a dog for performance, I gained 3 MPG and a real performer in the 12'. I'd put the 3.6L up against any 4.0L ford terd that thinks they can run with it. This JKU will run triple digits all day long. I have smoked several ferd 4.0L rangers with my old Montana 3.4L mini van, let alone the JK.

wADVr

Adventurer
Your 3.6L must be a serious lemon. I got my 12 JKU after my 11 JKU got took back as a lemon (what a blessing). The two are night and day. The 3.8L was a dog for performance, I gained 3 MPG and a real performer in the 12'. I'd put the 3.6L up against any 4.0L ford terd that thinks they can run with it. This JKU will run triple digits all day long. I have smoked several ferd 4.0L rangers with my old Montana 3.4L mini van, let alone the JK.

I don't think my JKU is capable of triple digets even downhill. I'm not in need of a racecar I just want to be able to run comfortably down the freeway at 75 and run the AC with the soft top on without it being in 3rd gear to do so. I really miss the low end power of the 4.0l in my XJ that could climb a grade without downshifting (or take on flat ground at high altitude)
This desire leads me to the AEV supercharger over the RIPP, but I haven't seen a dyno chart for the RIPP. Maybe it has similar low end output but keeps climbing. I am aware the RIPP produces more overall power.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The new 3.6 is just that "NEW" it's been used for about 4 years and the 3.8l v6 was employed by chrysler for over 21 years in cars/vans/jeeps and was capable of over 150k miles/w maintenance--it was still cast iron !!!

The jeep complainers of the 3.8l/auto are just that, complainers that have made no effort to release the pentup ponies and ease the shifting/cooling of the 42RLE auto-

They are both very profecient/capable units, mine is fantastic after 5 years, with modifications that actually coat about $2200 bucks,-mine cruises a 5600lb jeep at 18mpg avg and tows at 6600lbsGVW at 14.9 mpg and can go anywhere, with or without a trail-rocks/sand/snow/shale-

My '08 JKUR has much more than I can use now and there isn't a new one that'll outperform it--FOR THE MONEY !

Complainers of the "OLD" JK/JKU tradem in on a new JK/JKU and complain about them-

Complainers/entitlement/cryers--just not enough survivers--

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

highlandercj-7

Explorer
My 3.8L 2011 was a great running vehicle but it would not break any speed records. The 3.6L will do it all and put a smile on your face. I tow my camper up the Mountains in WV and never have to worry about power.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I drove both before I bought my '12 and the engine wasn't what tipped me over the top between the two. At the end of the day, my wife strongly preferred the updated interior on the '12 and I was able to steal it for a few grand more than the used '10.

Stick with the devil you know rather than starting from scratch if you don't have any prevailing issues beyond power.

wADVr

Adventurer
They are both very profecient/capable units, mine is fantastic after 5 years, with modifications that actually coat about $2200 bucks,-mine cruises a 5600lb jeep at 18mpg avg and tows at 6600lbsGVW at 14.9 mpg and can go anywhere, with or without a trail-rocks/sand/snow/shale-

JIMBO

What mods have you done to achieve this?

I stopped in to the local dealer and ran the numbers. Looks to be about a $15k jump to a new 2014 JKUR, with no loss on my trade(even from original purchase). That is a lot of cash but what do i get for that? Starting over on mileage from zero (or there abouts), warrantee, ability to take on freeway speeds, much nicer interior etc. I have not searched used but am pretty picky on what I want so new might be the best bet. Not saying this is the best route as $15k is a lot more than I would like to invest, but $6k invested in a 82k mile jeep isn't swell either.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've made over 53 mods to my jeep, but

What mods have you done to achieve this?

I stopped in to the local dealer and ran the numbers. Looks to be about a $15k jump to a new 2014 JKUR, with no loss on my trade(even from original purchase). That is a lot of cash but what do i get for that? Starting over on mileage from zero (or there abouts), warrantee, ability to take on freeway speeds, much nicer interior etc. I have not searched used but am pretty picky on what I want so new might be the best bet. Not saying this is the best route as $15k is a lot more than I would like to invest, but $6k invested in a 82k mile jeep isn't swell either.

The mods for power/performanc/response are--5.38 gears/redundant auto-aux coolers/recal auto shifting patterns-

Those are the main modifications for satisfactory ops, the rest of the mods are for off-road/towing/snow/sand/rocks/exped. ops-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier