Bolt Question?

This past weekend I replaced my stock track bar on my 98 jeep Cherokee with a JKS adjustable track. Unfortunately...and with a few expletives later, I snapped the bolt that connects the track bar to the axle in half. I know its a grade 8 bolt with a long neck before before the thread start, so my question is can I replace it with a similar style bolt from like a Home Depot or Lowes? If not I have to order it from a jeep dealer, and of course it's a specialty order from Detroit so god knows how long it will take them.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Just be extra careful to make sure you get the correct thread pitch on the replacement bolt. Quite often that is why they are special order from the dealer. If you try to crank a coarse pitch bolt into a fine pitch threaded hole you will be fixing a lot more than a single bolt.

TACTICALJEEP

Observer
Just be extra careful to make sure you get the correct thread pitch on the replacement bolt. Quite often that is why they are special order from the dealer. If you try to crank a coarse pitch bolt into a fine pitch threaded hole you will be fixing a lot more than a single bolt.

shouldn't matter cause your going to need a nut to go with that replacement bolt as well. There's a little tab that exits out of a "window" behind the mouting location on the axle. This gives you something to hold onto to get it started. Mine broke as well many years back, I just grabed whatever nut and bolt combo I had laying around and was able to get a wrench through the window to hold the nut long enough for the pressure/friction to take over.

DaveNay

Adventurer
shouldn't matter cause your going to need a nut to go with that replacement bolt as well. There's a little tab that exits out of a "window" behind the mouting location on the axle. This gives you something to hold onto to get it started. Mine broke as well many years back, I just grabed whatever nut and bolt combo I had laying around and was able to get a wrench through the window to hold the nut long enough for the pressure/friction to take over.

I only mention it because a friend of mine lost a brake caliper anchor bolt and grabbed a "matching" bolt then hit it with the air gun. It wasn't pretty.

Thanks for the responses! The sad part is I had broken that bolt once before when installing my lift...guess I didn't learn my lesson the first time. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior