Cold Weather Expo Trailer Use

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Well, I did a search, but came up empty.

I am going to build an ExPo trailer, however, I can find no one that uses them in cold weather. External water tanks, stoves, etc are all well and good, but I've yet to see one being used in snow/cold temps/wind. (Actually, OJ's first issues show one, but not sure how they used it on the AK trip.)

So, anyone use theirs in the cold weather? Modifications made for the cold? Things that worked well? Things that worked poorly?

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We camp in the cold in our teardrop all the time.

Worst hassle is the water ---- my under-belly Conqueror tanks froze very easily.
So we put our water in a cooler now and throw in hand warmers. Not elegant but it works fine.

The teardrop is insulated pretty well and doesn't need heat. We camp with a dog and have a little doggy heating pad that she'll lay on before we knock off for the night; it's 12v and doesn't suck too much juice.

It got down into single digits on us without much warning on this trip: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/73410-This-weekend-Feb-10-12/page8

java

Expedition Leader
Well I moved from trailer to RV. But same system we use. Drain the tanks and hot water heater, use water jugs stored inside for the water, doesn't take much heat to keep them from freezing. Flush potty with anti freeze.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Freezing water is an issue. Larger tanks won't freeze when the temps drop for short periods of time but prolonged low temps will turn them to ice. Water in small areas will freeze very quickly, so water pumps freeze and cause costly damage, as do water pipes and outlets.

If you have an enclosed trailer insulation and heat is the answer along with keeping all water away from the trailers exterior.

We have used Propex heaters and Espar heaters with much success in both trailers and vehicles, AT also offers a portable unit to heat tents.

My favorite piece of cold weather equipment is the hot water bottle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles