spyntec shorty

verdesardog

Explorer
I just installed spyntec's shorty hub kit on my CTD. This thing steers so nice now!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The instructions forgot this step:
4.jpg

The instructions say this step is not necessary???
5.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
SAR,
Nice looking kit. I've been looking around at other front hub replacements and they seem to be very expensive and kit with lots of parts to replace, like brakes. I just did brakes, so I was going to wait, but now, you, you opened a can of worms. Are those all the parts in the pic that you installed? Anything to replace the sealed hub Dodge, unfortunately uses.
Thanks for the tip. You never know where you will find the info you want.
regards, as always, jefe

UHAULER

Explorer
Looks good. It's a shame that you have to pay more for newer trucks to get less and then have to redo what should have come from the factory.

verdesardog

Explorer
SAR,
Nice looking kit. I've been looking around at other front hub replacements and they seem to be very expensive and kit with lots of parts to replace, like brakes. I just did brakes, so I was going to wait, but now, you, you opened a can of worms. Are those all the parts in the pic that you installed? Anything to replace the sealed hub Dodge, unfortunately uses.
Thanks for the tip. You never know where you will find the info you want.
regards, as always, jefe

These free spin kits do replace the sealed front wheel bearings. What is shown in the photo of parts is what is necessary for one side. Plus an axle U joint that isn't included in the kit

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I remember how much easier my F-250 and Toyota 4wd trucks steered with freespins. Just wish I could come up with the money.
Thankfully,I ordered a manual transfercase.
I tried to order an ST with manual windows and locks. Couldn't get powerseats though without ordering the SLT package.

crismateski

American Adventurist
Nice work, I have been looking at this kit for the wagon. It is still down the road a bit for me, so I am curious to here your thoughts after you have a few more miles on it

verdesardog

Explorer
Nice work, I have been looking at this kit for the wagon. It is still down the road a bit for me, so I am curious to here your thoughts after you have a few more miles on it

I can tell you right now after only a few days that I like it a LOT! The truck seems quieter , smoother driving and the steering seems more stable (not so much wandering on the road).

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Michael,
I have spent a lot of time on the web after you posted this to see what is important about hub/sealed bearing replacement and why the factory sealed bearing assy fails. One thing is the close proximity of the bearings. A wider splay of bearings on the spindle has a better chance at survival, especially when big tires and wide, less backspaced wheels are involved. The other thing is maintainability. All the aftermarket kits are servicable. The thing that got me thinking about your choice is that the hubs don't stick out as far as the Dynatrac and others. Some say the long stickout is a good thing as the bearings are placed farther apart reducing the leverage of shock loading. The other thing I like about the Spyn-tec's is the weather proofing, or weather resisting package.
the others are open/open to water and dirt. Spyntec seems to be the highest quality, and most researched. The other aspect is price. Dynatrac's can cost up to $2500. Spyntec can cost about $1K less. I've written Spyntec to see what they say about the bearings-too-close issue, and maybe it's just a factor of not using Warn Hubs.
I'm about ready to drop the hammer with these, so if there is any other info besides the above, say it now or forever hold your peace. 8<)
In addition, I have been exploring the use of Top Gun Customz 5-leaf spring pack that replaces that dumb thick bottom overload spring with 5 thin leaves and gives a 2" lift, and more flex. The hanger here is I use two sets of upper overloads (both one ton versions) and Stable Loads already, so I'm trying to get info on any clearance or operational issues before i spring for them.
I've been under the influence of the flu the last few days and have spent way too much bleary-eyed time on the web looking at ways to upgrade my Dodge for the bush. Another thing that caught my eye was the selectable OX locker available for the Dodge front Dana 60. It's kind of the manual transmission of locking diffs: cable operated. Just like the Unimogs.
Another question for you: did you replace the two piece pass. side axle shaft with a one piece? If not, did you put the coupler in permanent lock?
jefe

verdesardog

Explorer
As for the bearings being close, yes that's true but then look at the unit bearings, they are just as close or closer!

What's this about a two piece axle shaft? both left and right are one piece with ujoints for the axle stubs that go into the hubs.

cliniford

Observer
I have had my Spyntec Shorty kit on my 03' Dodge for about 6 months. As said before these are awesome. Hand calculated I saw 1-1.5mpg increase and the steering is 100 times better. The only issue I had was with the Mile Marker lock outs. They where extremely hard to lock and unlock. I found this to be unacceptable when in the snow with cold hands. What I did was disassemble the locking cap and what you'll find is a small ball bearing with a small spring behind it and the problem was the square cut detents that the ball bearing falls into to lock the hub. The square detents would not allow the ball to"climb" out of the detent easily when locking and unlocking.

My solution: I took a bastard chainsaw file and cut a 3" piece off and chucked it into my drill and simply rounded the square edge of the detent with it. Re lubed and reassembled. Works buttery smooth now yet still has a positive lock and unlock point and have had zero issue with it after many thousands of miles."
And IIRC my kit was about $1200 plus I replaced the axle U joints at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94