m416 style camper from scratch

kjg26

Observer
I picked up a welder and chop saw earlier this week and I wan to undertake a trailer build for behind my YJ.

A couple questions
1- What size square/rectangular tubing is appropriate?
2- Should the tongue be different size/thickness?
I'm considering having a telescoping tongue. So maybe a 3x3 square tubing with 2.5 square/reciever tubing inside for an adjustable tongue.
3- Is it stronger to have the tongue sit below the frame of have it part of the frame. Meaning... when tying into the crossmembers is it stronger to weld the tongue to the bottom or to cut and "fit" the tongue into the cross member?

I was thinking 2x3 rectangular tubing for the frame of the trailer, maybe some C-channel for the crossbraces. I want a full length tongue to allow for attachments in the rear as recover point if needed.

Overall use will be mainly camping, possibly in the long run a roof top tent. I'm thinking 4'x5' Or somwhere in that size. maybe more like 40-44"x5' long. I'm flexable.

Above the frame i think i'll have some smaller, 2x2 maybe, to build the structure of the box.

I'm not sure above the wall thickness of any of this. I am very new to welding and metal fab in general. Lots of practice will be had during and before this project

At this point i'm just throwing around ideas. want to figure out what size tubing i'll be using so i can practice with similar sizes.

thanks

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A google search on "trailer frame plans" or perhaps "offroad trailer frame plans" will turn up lots of ideas.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I built my trailer frame out of 2x3 3/16" wall. It may be over kill but it will not fail. Its a typical ladder with the tongue built into the cross bracing, however my tongue does not got all the way front to rear. It terminates into the center cross brace and butt welds into it. The front crossmember is the only one I had to notch to do it that way. I didn't want to run the tongue all the way through so I would have and open area to french the fuel tank into the frame rails. I would not build it any smaller than a 4 x 6.

daninghram

Adventurer
If you are new to welding, you may want to get someone who has more experience to weld your important stuff (tongue, spring mounts...) you would not want it to come undone going down the highway. It extended my tongue and bolted it as I did not trust my welds. My welding is much better now but that's pounds of wire later. Build a safe rig and have fun!

Box Rocket

I built my trailer from scratch with similar ideas. I used 2.5" 3/16" wall sq tubing for the frame/tongue. You can check out my build here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23624-Box-Rocket-Homemade-trailer-build

IMO, a telescoping tongue is not worth the effort. It makes for one more area of slop in the coupling, from the people I've talked to that have them, they rarely if ever adjust the tongue making it a pointless mod. Just find a tongue length that works and build it solid. For me, I wanted the tongue as short as possible to help maneuvering tight trails, but still long enough that I could jackknife the trailer and not have the trailer body contact the tow rig. I think I ended up at about 46" tongue. This length has worked out well for me.

one other thought is if you keep the distance from the tow rigs rear axle to the trailer axle the same as the wheel base of the tow rig the trailer will track very close to the same path as the tow rig in turns. This can be helpful on trails where tire placement is important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94