Ambulance Power Set-ups

flightcancled

Explorer
For the uninitiated, every ambulance is to some extent a one-off as it is built to customer spec.

So; how are you setting up your power systems? My rig came with a small starter battery and decent sized deep cycle house battery. My thought is to install a second system entirely in the box and leave those batteries just for the engine to ensure I can start on cold winter mornings.

I want to build a 2-4 battery house bank and tap it directly to the box board via the Modular Disconnect system. I have my eyes on a solar system and a shore power battery charger/maintainer.

How are you tying in additional capacity? Can your alternator handle the extra load? Are you using a home-brewed system or did you buy a kit?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cem17

Since each vehicles components, needs and setups are a little different, it's unlikely there is much in the way of a kit. The electrical takes some planning. It is very helpful if you can acquire the builder schematics and wiring diagrams to understand how things are setup. The electrical systems are pretty robust from the factory and the alternator or alternators run at 215-260 amps, which is pretty good.

Here is what I came up with, in brief. I removed the battery cutoff "seat switch" (my batteries were tied together). Put a heavy duty battery cutoff switch (on/off) in the electrical cabinet. I barely fit 2 6v golf cart batteries in the side battery compartment and moved the battery from the engine bay to the frame rail. I added a
heavy duty switch in the battery compartment (off/bat1/batt2/batt 1&2). Upgraded main power lines to 00 gauge welding cable. Added 120 watts of solar panels. I installed an inverter/charger using factory wiring. Added battery monitor (dual) with alarm. I basically run on the battery bank (golf cart batteries) all the time, keeping the smaller (and former) engine compartment battery cutoff and in reserve. The solar charge controller charges batt1 and batt(s)2 separately, so the reserve battery should always be at full charge.

java

Expedition Leader
Mine wasn't an ambo, but started life as an emergency vehicle, so the mess of wiring is there.

One starting battery separated from the house batteries by a solenoid to allow self jumping from the house or start gen set from starting battery. house batteries are on a solenoid also to allow complete disconnection.

2 smaller deep cycle house batteries, wish they were larger. I can make it through one evening and night, but the batteries are just under 12v by morning. It was built to be ran with the generator all the time as far as i can tell. Has an inverter, and everything feeds to an auto switch that switches between shore/inverter/generator automatically. Everything feeds to a house style breaker panel.

No idea on alternator size, but it charges all the batteries fine while driving.

Any time the generator is running or is on shore power there is a battery charger connected to the starting battery to keep it topped off.

I added 200watts of solar, they work but done get the batteries very full ( I think its more the charge controller shuts off charging at too low a voltage IMO) but keeps them above 12.5V.

Id love to add/modify to be able to fit larger house batts. Having to run the generator every morning gets old. Although with a 90 amp charger they are full pretty quick. The inverter and charger is one unit, nice for easy install but inverter eats some juice, it does have a "sleep mode" that only draws 4w when no load is on it. It would be nice to have a separate small inverter.

flightcancled

Explorer
I just came across or of those vanner all in one systems and its very temping.

Does anyone have any experience or know how to figure out just how much battery capacity an alternator can handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94