Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Purchased an Expedition G Wagen

I see what you mean. Very little tire sidewall due to large rim diameter.

That's a problem with modern OEM rims. They're just too big to allow the tire to "bellow out" enough to adequately protect the rim.

The easiest solution is to find some 16" wheels and put on the same O.D. tire. The best solution is to get a smaller wheel and go up a tire size or two. Sidewall = added suspension + performance versatility based on air pressure. I have 16" Hutchinson beadlocks with 35" KO2's on the camper and I change tire pressures as needed - makes all the difference. 8 -10" of sidewall!

FWIW we just did a brutal rally raid in a G. Big jumps, deep mud, deep sand, high speeds, hard hits, extreme heat. We had a fresh set of stock KO2's aired between 10-15 psi the whole way and they rocked. They are very good at holding a bead and were great all around. Very impressive tire.

William
    William and G-Ronimo

I have a 30mm spring spacer lift on it. I just saw that BFG makes a 285/55/20 AT K02 tire (I originally had a set of 275/55/20 installed). I am thinking the extra width could provide a little more rim protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'd have plenty of clearance.

Maybe have the tire store mount one up and put it on the G before you bite the bullet - make sure it is enough of a gain to make it worthwhile.
    William and G-Ronimo

Mud terrain tire are going to be louder than the All Terrain (KO2's)..

in my experience it depends what you are actually using them for if the trade off is worth it...., i do run KM2's on my defender daily driver and they are a lot louder than my KO's but for me worth it, off road.. on road its fine.. if you know what i mean..
    95' D90
    Insanity
    07' LR3 SE
    12' RR

Today's conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    William and G-Ronimo

Durt turds raining from the sky?
    A vehicle’s worth is not what you put into it, but what it put into you.
    '03 G500 "O'erländewagen"(SOLD&missed); Build thread, ExPo feature
    '07 E-350 4WD "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD&missed); Build thread
    What's next?...

McBride, do you happen to know anything more about the construction of the camper? I thought I remember seeing a little blog post someplace that actually was of this camper being built by the original builder.

PHeller,

I haven seen that blog but if you find it let me know - I'd love to see it.

Any specific questions? I'm happy to share any details with you. I also have quite a few pics of the build.

There's a killer thread over on Clubgwagen discussing G campers of all shapes and sizes. Some of the guys have amassed and posted an incredible collection of builds - definitely worth a look.

Happy holidays!

William
    William and G-Ronimo

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435