4 Link Airbag E350 Quigley rear suspension- what is it?

derjack

Adventurer
Hi guys,

I just purchased an 1993 Quigley Fireworker Truck from Norway/Europe.

Besides the Quigley front-end, is a really interesting rear suspension, that I´ve never seen before.

It is a 4 link with some huge Firestone Airbags. These Airbags are roughly 10" wide and tall. Actually this suspension is really stiff at the moment but I think it´s due to a non working load indicator for the airsuspension. I did not have the time to test anything so far. Has anyone seen this before or any thoughts?

My first thought was to throw it away and go for the really simple leaf spring in the rear again. But actually it looks quite sophisticated on a second view.

My goal will be to put 35" (hopefully bigger) tires on it and to have it capable to go offroad, with as less issues as possible (which is relatively easy with an leaf spring).

DSC00016 (1280x719).jpgDSC00005 (1280x719).jpgDSC00002 (1280x719).jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Very odd. Only one U bolt on the axle? Or is another one hiding back there? Looks to be a bolt of kit of some sort.

derjack

Adventurer
Very odd. Only one U bolt on the axle? Or is another one hiding back there? Looks to be a bolt of kit of some sort.

Hi,
no no. it's not that stupid ;-)
Where you have seen 1 U bolt, are actually 2 (hidden behind the shock) + U bolts from the upper link, the round one close to the drum brake.

evilfij

Explorer
Seems like it would cost a ton of ground clearance and the links with bags sit below the diff even. Maybe I am biased from land rover, but I also cannot imagine 20 year old air suspension is in the best shape.

89s rule

Adventurer
Looks similar to the F550 etc. Friend just bought on eand it was similar to that setup. Should be able to handle/haul anything you ever wanted.

derjack

Adventurer
Hi NLP racing,

i guess you could be right. Although the lower arm of the 4 link looks different, the design is very familiar!
interesting link.

I'll check for more details next week, when i can hopefully see my device on a lift...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles