Thread: "TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

This is tactically very gratifying Jeff. Awesome work - goes w/o saying - Congratulations! It's nasty cold here in MN and my M1101 is parked in my backyard...can't wait till spring to get my "TAC/0" project rolling.
    1.JPG

Best wishes in 2018 all...

-nagi
    N0AGI-Nagi
    TAC/0 Project: https://www.n0agi.com/the-tac0-project/

Quote Originally Posted by utherjorge View Post
    This is amazing. I would like it (I would hope for it? What's the best way to beg? ) to be something that would be available later this year when I have a chance, but I'll post and beg later, watching with awe until that time. Great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by screwball48 View Post
    Nicely done as always. This is a very nice and affordable alternative to purchasing and outfitting a standard utility trailer. I also see the potential of utilizing these components on an M1101 series trailer. One of the drawbacks to that generation of surplus trailer is the lack of a readily available “cover” for that platform.
    Thank you very much.

I haven't added it up, but I think I've got less than $400 in the sides and the lid, including the windows, hatches and hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by N0AGI View Post
    This is tactically very gratifying Jeff. Awesome work - goes w/o saying - Congratulations! It's nasty cold here in MN and my M1101 is parked in my backyard...can't wait till spring to get my "TAC/0" project rolling.

Best wishes in 2018 all...

-nagi
    Thanks!

Very cold here too! I need to connect up the gas struts for the lid but since they're very strong and hard to compress manually it's easiest to tilt the lid up and then connect them. This is as far as I can raise the lid in my low garage, not high enough for the struts at full extension. Unfortunately it's about zero degrees outside so I don't think I'll roll the trailer out to connect them today.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

Since the Trail Kitchen is taller than the Jeep tailgate, I added a door on the front to raise the height of the tailgate opening. It's on lift-off hinges so it can be moved out of the way. Plenty of room now to install the trail kitchen:

This is the photo-edit I did earlier in the project showing what the Trail Kitchen and front pantry will look like:

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

I'm hoping it gets at least 15 degrees warmer this afternoon so I can roll the trailer out of the garage, tilt the lid all the way up and snap the canvas in place. Since I won't be camping in this thing until the summer at least, there's no point in punishing myself by working outside when it's 11 degrees.

In the meantime, I installed mini-blinds on the side windows. When I'm using the trailer for cargo, it'll help keep curious people from seeing what's inside. When in use as a camper, it'll provide some privacy for the occupants.

To keep the blinds under control, I make some holders for the bottom rail with snaps.

Blind down and snapped in place:

Unsnapped and open:

The blinds were the correct width but over five feet long so I had to shorten them over 3 feet to make them the right length. Haven't shortened the adjusting "wand" yet (that's what it's called in the instructions), but probably will shorten that to 6" or so.

Today is the first day it's really been above 20 degrees so it's finally warm enough to roll the trailer out of the garage to hook up the gas struts and snap the canvas in place.

Since I installed all the hardware a week ago, connecting the struts took about 30 seconds, and the canvas just snaps into place on the lid so installation didn't take long. This shot shows the headroom that's available when the top is up, I'm 6'6"...

Canvas in place (I haven't had this canvas up in a long time so it's a little wrinkled):

BTW it's hooked to the Jeep because the trailer doesn't have stabilizer jacks yet. Haven't needed them so far because I've never used this trailer as a camper. On Wednesday I'll be in Elkhart, Indiana, where there are some very good RV surplus shops, so I'll get some jacks while I'm there.

A few more photos with the Jeep.

It's hard to show the interior space but there's a lot of it with the pop-top up.

When the top is down, the sides stow up against the underside of the lid.

That looks great Jeff.

Do you have any details of you making the canvas? I'm sure I have read it before in one of your threads but if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

HB
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee WH 3.0 TD Auto, QD-II, 3" OME HD Lift, 255/65 R17 BFG AT KO
    2004 Track Trailer Tvan, Custom Modified
    SOLD - 2004 Holden Rodeo RA 3.0 TD Auto Crew Cab, Cooper 265/75 ST's, 2" OME Lift, ARB Delux Bar, Warn M8000 Winch, Long Ranger Tank, Safari Snorkel.
    SOLD - Custom Camper Box Ver 2.0 Build Thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=56146

Quote Originally Posted by Heifer Boy View Post
    That looks great Jeff.

Do you have any details of you making the canvas? I'm sure I have read it before in one of your threads but if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

HB
    I did the canvas earlier in this thread, all the detail starts here: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...03#post1593003 and continues for about 12 pages.

Next in the plan is installing the Trail Kitchen. There's plenty of room for the kitchen behind the front tailgate and room for a pantry behind the front hatch.

Other upcoming tasks:

- Install stabilizer jacks on the trailer frame
    - Build the pantry box inside the front hatch. It'll be removable for when I want to use the trailer for cargo.
    - Install gas struts on all 3 hatches
    - Build the sleeping platform and mattress

After I install the kitchen I'll be able to finalize the design of the sleeping platform. It'll be positioned just above the kitchen and will have plenty of storage underneath. The platform will be sectional so the back end of it can be hinged or removed to allow standing space when not sleeping.

The platform will be basically the same size as a queen bed, which is 60 x 80 although the platform will be a little narrower because the Jeep tub is only 59" wide.

I stopped by one of my favorite surplus stores the other day because they carry foam; they have 60x80 sheets in 1", 2", 3" and 4" thickness for $30 per inch of thickness. I'll probably go with a 2" sheet for $60 but I'll decide that as I finalize the sleeping platform design.

I've got a lot of travel coming up that will get in the way of this project so progress will be a little slow over the next few months.

Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 LastLast