"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It's hard to show the interior space but there's a lot of it with the pop-top up.

Interior1_zps03wuox2o.jpg

Interior_zpsdyna44fh.jpg

When the top is down, the sides stow up against the underside of the lid.

CanvasStowed_zpsb9hvtoze.jpg

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
That looks great Jeff.

Do you have any details of you making the canvas? I'm sure I have read it before in one of your threads but if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

HB

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Next in the plan is installing the Trail Kitchen. There's plenty of room for the kitchen behind the front tailgate and room for a pantry behind the front hatch.

KitchenAndPantry_zpskngrhhib.jpg

Other upcoming tasks:

- Install stabilizer jacks on the trailer frame
- Build the pantry box inside the front hatch. It'll be removable for when I want to use the trailer for cargo.
- Install gas struts on all 3 hatches
- Build the sleeping platform and mattress

After I install the kitchen I'll be able to finalize the design of the sleeping platform. It'll be positioned just above the kitchen and will have plenty of storage underneath. The platform will be sectional so the back end of it can be hinged or removed to allow standing space when not sleeping.

CamperSim1b_zpswoeue5pd.jpg

The platform will be basically the same size as a queen bed, which is 60 x 80 although the platform will be a little narrower because the Jeep tub is only 59" wide.

I stopped by one of my favorite surplus stores the other day because they carry foam; they have 60x80 sheets in 1", 2", 3" and 4" thickness for $30 per inch of thickness. I'll probably go with a 2" sheet for $60 but I'll decide that as I finalize the sleeping platform design.

Foam_zpsvkxywwts.jpg

I've got a lot of travel coming up that will get in the way of this project so progress will be a little slow over the next few months.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Someone told me today that they were trying to come up with a design for a "dual sport moto" hauler and figured a trailer that would be 5' tall and 10' long would be just about right. He was wondering how the design might work out with TrailTop parts.

I know nothing about what a "dual sport moto" is, but Google search helped me find out... so I drew this 5' high x 10' long concept. It uses the TrailTop teardrop parts because that's the shape he was interested in and I sized it 5x10 as he said. I believe the bike is scaled accurately, the rear wheel on this one is 18" so that's how I sized the bike image. I put a 4'-high door in the side of the trailer figuring it might be nice to get inside to the front of the cargo area. It's got a teardrop-style rear hatch above a drop-down tailgate, and you'd use a ramp against the tailgate to roll bikes in. Not knowing anything about motorized bikes I don't know if this concept makes sense.

FWIW:

DualSport1_zpszakoeimq.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
IMO you are on the right track with your trailer design. Being able to stand up to get dressed is a luxury that I greatly appreciate.
Also, having storage under the bed and being able to sit on the edge of the bed to put your boots on is something that shouldn’t be taken for granted.

I believe you had a trail dog design that I really liked that incorporated footwell space and under bed storage. I might even be willing to give up standing room for lower towing profile.

I borrowed a converted cargo trailer a couple years ago and while it was a nice improvement over a tent for that trip, getting dressed in the AM wasn’t a real improvement over using my backpacking tent.

Also, storing duffels and backpacks on the sleeping surface to keep them out if the rain etc was kind of a pain.

Your design with a single bed would be just about ideal for my base camps.

Now if someone would license your trail top components...........

jscherb

Expedition Leader
IMO you are on the right track with your trailer design. Being able to stand up to get dressed is a luxury that I greatly appreciate.
Also, having storage under the bed and being able to sit on the edge of the bed to put your boots on is something that shouldn't be taken for granted.

I believe you had a trail dog design that I really liked that incorporated footwell space and under bed storage. I might even be willing to give up standing room for lower towing profile.

I borrowed a converted cargo trailer a couple years ago and while it was a nice improvement over a tent for that trip, getting dressed in the AM wasn't a real improvement over using my backpacking tent.

Also, storing duffels and backpacks on the sleeping surface to keep them out if the rain etc was kind of a pain.

Your design with a single bed would be just about ideal for my base camps.

Thanks. Could do a single bed but there's room for a queen so I'll do a queen-size sleeping platform/mattress. Well, just a few inches narrower than queen because the Jeep tub is an inch narrower than a queen. I've been working on a few drawings to show a little more detail on how the sleeping platform/bed will work, will post those soon. The platform and mattress will be a sectional design to make it easy to configure the interior for a full length bed when sleeping but configure it shorter when dressing, sitting in the camper or standing, also this will make it easier to use the storage underneath.

Now if someone would license your trail top components...........

Don't know if the TrailTop components will ever be available. I just design this stuff, I don't sell anything. If a company or person is interested in manufacturing/marketing the TrailTop system I'm happy to explore it with them. And I've kept all the molds so if the need arises I can make more parts.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Once I get the Trail Kitchen installed, I'll finalize the sleeping platform design. The basic plan is for the sleeping platform will go above the kitchen. It will be sectional so it can be configured for sleeping or standing.

At left below is the sleeping configuration. I haven't shown any of the supporting structure for the platform in this drawing, just the location of the platform and mattress parts. The pink area below the end of the bed would be used to store "outdoor" gear, things that come out and get set up in the morning - chairs, table, etc.

On the right is one way I could configure the sleeping platform and mattress for standing; in this one the end of the bed swings down to provide floor space for standing.

BedConfigs2a_zpsohzx38re.jpg

But rather than swinging down as shown above I'll probably make the end section of the bed platform and mattress removable, then it can be used as a backrest for sitting:

BedConfigs2b_zpstn20spwu.jpg

I'll do a sectional foam mattress and sew covers for each section. Under the center section will be a storage compartment.

And I visited a few of my favorite RV surplus outlets the other day to pick up a few bits & pieces for the camper project. Got long stabilizer jacks, gas struts and hardware for the hatches and a set of locks keyed alike for the doors and hatches.

HardwareBits_zps7qtuv8ds.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
I like your concept ideas and drawings.

What is the current height of your trailer with the top folded down?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I did a test fit of the slide-out Trail Kitchen in the camper.

TrailKitchen1_zps10vgmhoo.jpg

The water source for the sink is a 2-gallon Rotopax, it mounts to the side of the kitchen. Water flow is handled by a small 12v pump, which automatically switches on when the faucet is opened and switches off when the faucet is closed.

TrailKitchen4_zpslqwexa5h.jpg

The hatch above the kitchen will be a pantry.

TrailKitchen3_zpsi5ser2ji.jpg

The kitchen isn't fully installed yet, and there's no power, but it is in the Jeep so here's a demo of the sink.

I also swapped the locks today, so now all of the hatches, the rear entry door and the front kitchen door are all keyed alike.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few more photos - With the Jeeps out of the garage I took a few photos with a better view of the trailer.

One of the swing-down stabilizer jacks I picked up last week at an RV surplus outlet is leaning up against the trailer frame at the rear. They're extra long and they'll be perfect, mounted to the underside of the frame they'll have more length than necessary.

TrailKitchen5_zpstbxijhtz.jpg

TrailKitchen6_zpscqo1mnbk.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another option that might be worth considering - the plan for the front hatch is to be a pantry cupboard, but instead it could be used for a bed extension and the side hatch could be used instead for a cupboard. The front hatch is about 48" wide so it would be reasonable as an extension for a bed that will be roughly 56" wide. Doing this would provide more floor space for standing.

BedExtension_zpseyed95x3.jpg

BedExtensionX_zpsslmnhjlu.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
Another option that might be worth considering - the plan for the front hatch is to be a pantry cupboard, but instead it could be used for a bed extension and the side hatch could be used instead for a cupboard. The front hatch is about 48" wide so it would be reasonable as an extension for a bed that will be roughly 56" wide. Doing this would provide more floor space for standing.

BedExtension_zpseyed95x3.jpg

BedExtensionX_zpsslmnhjlu.jpg

Yes! This^!

Being able to leave the bed configured in the sleep position and then swing your legs around to stand and/or get dressed would be a nice improvement to an already solid design

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles