"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

Dan_Blurton

I'm on my way back from my SEMA and Death Valley trip so I'll be getting back to the topper project shortly. I've been thinking about the finish I'll put on it and instead of a single color I'm thinking maybe a mural would be fun, perhaps something like this?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tropical-S...m3f5ae7282f:m:m5ZGb95mC4uCX4UnHsIvvMw&vxp=mtr

A simulation:

SunsetMural3_zpsjeu4lypi.jpg

This mural goes well with the safety yellow tub, but there are many others available so I'll do a little searching to see what else might look good.
Did you see the vinyl wrap printer at SEMA? Print your own. Waterproof too?
2f79d11843a543d5114618961b0c9d7f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
On the way through Elkhart yesterday I stopped at my favorite RV surplus store and picked up some windows/cargo hatches for the project. The hatches and window are the same size, nominally 18" high x 36" wide and fit in the same holes, so I can experiment with one of each on a side or two of the same on each side.

Windows1_zps82oybfty.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I cut holes in the side panels for the windows.

WindowHoles_zpswu3mm9dl.jpg

The slider windows and the cargo hatches I picked up at the RV surplus place both fit in the same size hole, so I can experiment with various combinations.

I drew the lid and wheel onto the images below but the windows and hatches are real.

Two windows:

WindowsIn1t_zpsgcacjpps.jpg

One window, one hatch:

WindowsIn2t_zpsokjofwld.jpg

Two hatches:

WindowsIn3t_zpsmw021hg1.jpg

Haven't decided yet what my final configuration will be.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking I'll do the sides with one window and one hatch. I don't have to decide whether the hatch or the window goes in the front because the sides are interchangeable - they can be swapped so a side that has a window in the front and hatch in the back can be swapped to the other side of the trailer and then it has the hatch in the front and the window in the back. All it takes is unbolting the panels and swapping them to the other side.

WindowsIn2t_zpsokjofwld.jpg

Also trying to decide what to do inside the hatches. Leaving nothing behind them allows access to cargo inside (especially good if the sides are mounted with the hatches in the front), but I could also build storage boxes inside like these concepts I drew for my military trailer topper project... (left to right - grid for Quickfist clamps to hold gear, Molle grid, cargo net to retain loose items)

CompartmentIdeas_zpst2puucbh.jpg

The compartments inside the hatches can be made removable, so I could configure it either way depending on my needs for that trip.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I added a hatch to the front of the trailer topper.

AllWindowsFrontView_zpsxd4dlgc6.jpg

The front hatch will be handy for accessing cargo, and in a camper configuration it will be part of the kitchen.

View from the rear:

AllWindowsRearView_zpsrkfymntt.jpg

Next I'll make the rear door. I've already got the window for the door (posted this photo before):

DoorWindow_zpsv5kamwqo.jpg

And now I've got the hardware - a locking paddle latch that's openable from the inside, and lift-off hinges that'll make it easy to take the door off when I want to carry something that's too long to fit inside.

DoorHardware_zpsukgzojhd.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In our opinion, Why doesn't someone utilized preexisting products to create a trailtop soft top for these trailers.. Here are three images with a variety of designs.

Rather than awkwardly adapt a Jeep soft top to a different purpose, how about a custom "covered wagon" top like the one I made for my military trailer? To me Jeep soft tops and hard tops adapted to trailers always look like a hack. Doing a custom covered wagon top is a fairly easy sewing job. I didn't want windows in it, but windows could easily be sewn in.

TestDrive1_zpshdlxim81.jpg

CargoAccess1_zpsmkzfbbyh.jpg

Side either roll up:

SidesRolledUp2_zpsicq5fpge.jpg

Or unzip and remove completely:

TopNoSides2_zpsz8ttck8t.jpg

Or, In the May 1953 issue of Popular Mechanics, there's an article about building a "Car Top Sleeper". It's a pretty simple "covered wagon" design that would probably still be of interest to people today. Here's the entire article, it's available at Google books in a larger version: http://books.google.com/books?id=aN...v=onepage&q=popular mechanics may 1953&f=true

CarTopSleeper12_zps615e1aa5.jpg

Even though it's billed as a car top sleeper, the same design minus the base box would be very easy to adapt to a trailer. It's a very simple design and the sewing is minimal. Taking some photos out of the article above and with a little photo-editing, I "installed" it my trailer...

CarTopSleeperT1_zpsd8e84d09.jpg

CarTopSleeperT2_zpsf677210c.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Started building the rear door. Haven't done the latch yet.

RearDoor1_zpscrvyaxzl.jpg

RearDoor2_zps8yqubdlq.jpg

RearDoor3_zpsnernsyor.jpg

With the lift-off hinges the door comes off quickly in case I need to carry loads that stick out of the tailgate.

RearDoor4_zpscejzzzom.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Got the door latch installed.

LatchDone1_zpshsx2g8np.jpg

The latch has an inside knob so the door can be opened from the inside.

LatchDone2_zpsbkusaeow.jpg

Probably won't get back to working on this project for a week or so; I'm off to an RV industry trade show I've been invited to, some of my designs are being shown there by a company that'll be bringing them to market.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm building the trailer topper to use in the near-term as an enclosed cargo trailer, but I've designed it to be easily configured as a camper using the same basic parts, a few things I've already built plus a few new bolt-in parts.

One thing I've already done that will be part of the camper top is the pop-top, it's will be the roof of the topper:

ClamshellRescueIT11_zpsc48d2c51.jpg

Also I'll use what I call the "Trail Kitchen" that I designed and built earlier this year. It was initially designed to go in a Jeep, but it can just as easily install in a trailer. It's got a fridge, a lot of table space, a drawer and a water supply. This kitchen photo was taken a few weeks ago on a camping trip in Death Valley:

CampSetup3_zps9fdro2ko.jpg

The kitchen installs to pretty much any flat surface, it's got a double extension slide and the tabletops fold down once it's slid out. It stores very compactly.

KitchenStowed_zpss0pxsfbj.jpg

Doing a little photo-editing, the kitchen would look something like this in the trailer. The hatch above the kitchen would be configured as kitchen storage. I built the trailer with tailgates at both ends, so it's easy to have the kitchen slide out the front.

KitchenSim_zpsxyvj3dsc.jpg

The camper would look something like this:

CamperSim1a_zps8h58ekzb.jpg

This x-ray view shows the sleeping platform above where the kitchen slides in and stows; also lots of additional storage below the sleeping platform. And lots of headroom with the pop-top up.

CamperSim1b_zpswoeue5pd.jpg

For now I'm focused on getting the basic topper done for cargo use, but once that's done the next phase will be the camper components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94